It appears to have been completed.

As a matter of fact, if this is true and Edmonton wins the Grey Cup and Maas is named MVP(for the 3rd playoff game in a row) and then goes to Hamilton.
The CFL is going to have a public relations and moral nightmare on there hands!
People will question the legitimacy of the Grey Cup and season!

...I only half-believe the media most of the time.....but I'm pretty sure they got this one right....Maas to Ham.....what about this new rumour coming out of the lotus land. media.........Dickenson to Wpg......hmmmmmm.maybe somebody is just blowing smoke or inhaling it.... :roll:

Maybe I am overreacting a bit, I don't know. I know other sports like baseball does trades, with future considerations involved. But in this case, Edmonton got to have Davis,Comisky and Maas(who was already traded) for the end of the season and playoffs (an unfair advantage) and is that what we want from now on? Like next year, maybe Toronto or Montreal or Calgary or Edmonton again, making a similar trade with the bottom teams, getting there best players and keeping what we trade them also, until after the season?
Or is that just the way it goes, may the best GM win?

I know my preference.

the piper gets to call the tune......that is just the advantage of being able to deal from a position of strenght rather than weakness......is it right......that is a matter of opinion.....but as the GM your number one priority is what is best for your team, not necessarily the league.....this is just something else for the rest of us to envy.....

but as the GM your number one priority is what is best for your team, not necessarily the league.....this is just something else for the rest of us to envy.....

but should it be what is best for the league, in other words, should there be a rule to stop it?

Maybe future considerations should only be allowed to be draft choices?

I think you might be reading a bit too much into this.......Maas was not part of the original trade as I recall, it was Comisky and Davis for Ralph and somebody, straight up.....correct.....now they are talking about another trade I hear possibly Maas for McManus......

Your right, officially it sounds like it will be McManus and Bakker for Maas and it won't cause a stink.
But in reality it is the completion of the earlier trade and Edmonton pulled a fast one and a very smart one I think.
Nothing is official yet anyway.
we'll see in the end.

… this whole trade between EDM…and HAM…looks more like a loan of players between the two clubs…it don’t look good…Huey pulling strings…hunkering down with his ol’ QB. pal Lancaster…so from now on guys it goes like this…find yourself a club to make a trade/loan and help if you need it toward the end of the year…just make sure nobody gets wise…and you don’t get fleeced on the loan/trade…this deal does not look good on the league…now all of a sudden we are to believe that Danny Mac. is going to the Esks…for Maas…oh yeah even up trade…c’mon…but heh…these two clubs are happy with the loan/ deal…so why isn’t everyone else… :wink: :wink:

Fishy business in Hamilton?
Rumours are Eskimos will ship quarterback to Ticats to complete lopsided earlier deal

CanWest News Service; CP contributed to this report

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Near the end of what could become their penultimate practice together as teammates, Ricky Ray and Jason Maas took a knee along the sidelines close to the Edmonton Eskimos bench yesterday.

Their helmets were off as they chatted in front of a billboard sponsored by Best Buy, which was fitting, given the speculation Maas has effectively been bought and paid for by another team.

It stems from a late-season trade between the Eskimos and Hamilton Tiger-Cats, one that provided Edmonton with substantial help in the backfield and along the offensive line without asking for too much in return. It looked like a lopsided deal, leading to talk - and not all of it unfounded - that there had been some form of gentleman's agreement to ship a quarterback east after the season.

The talk got louder last night when a league source requesting anonymity said that Maas will indeed be dealt to the Tiger-Cats following tomorrow's 93rd Grey Cup for veteran quarterback Danny McManus and offensive lineman Tim Bakker, both former Eskimos.

During the playoffs, Maas appeared in relief of Ray to guide the Eskimos into tomorrow's game. If they beat the Alouettes, the CFL could be faced with the prospect of a championship hero parading around Edmonton before commandeering one of the floats for a drive to Ontario.

"I don't get into the minds of general managers and coaches and team executives to decide why one player goes in one direction and another player goes in another," CFL commissioner Tom Wright said yesterday. "If I felt that a trade wasn't appropriate, I would of course talk to the member clubs. Before a trade is registered, it has to be approved and, ultimately, it's the commissioner's office that does that."

He said he did not speak with executives from either team after the October trade that sent offensive lineman Dan Comiskey and Troy Davis - league-leading rusher of 2004 - to Edmonton. Hamilton received a first-round draft pick, Canadian receiver Brock Ralph and import defensive back Tay Cody.
An investigation is unlikely. The argument can be made that Davis, an impending free agent, was not going to return to Hamilton and was thus shipped so the Ticats could recoup some form of compensation. Ralph and Cody also have promise, as does any potential draft pick.

But none addresses the Ticats' primary concern: quarterback.

McManus shouldered most of the blame for the last-place team's struggles this year. And even though he deserved less than half of what he was given, the man is still 40 years old.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2005

Great leadership there Wright!

This realy opens up a can of worms. This set a precident for teams that are out of the playoffs to loan players to teams in the playoffs. This is crap but smart. The crap part is that players that got them to the play offs get bumped by loan players. The league will have to stop this practise.

I agree but how can you stop it.
If you and I make a secret deal in Sept who would know about it.

It would be hard to stop. However it was pretty obvious the whole time that there was going to be another part of the deal later on. I mean Davis and Comisky for almost peanuts!
After that trade was made, almost everyone said that Hamilton got completely burned, but most people said at the time that we have not heard about the whole deal yet. And they were right.
This is unacceptable and hard questions should of been asked and wasn't by the Commissioners office. This deal should not of been allowed without Maas going to Hamilton right away. It is a clear unfair advantage for Edmonton and it worked out unbelieveably well for them,with them getting exactly what the team needed in Davis and Comisky and also keeping Maas (who has won them both playoff games) until the end of the season.

I for one am not really a big fan of this commissioner (although I seem to be in the minority).
His inaction on this point is useless. His work on expansion does not impress me. The money the teams get from tv revenue should be higher. He has increased sponsorship though.
The refs need to improve even more. Instant replay should be used. Salary cap? yeah right! Glieberman's?
Then again the league is really run by the big owners. And he has not done a terrible job.

And just like Marie Antoinette (I think). Hughie Campbell has his cake and gets to eat it too!

Easy…someone leaks it :smiley: …this Maas/Davis et al thing was the worst kept secret this year…unfortunately, secrecy isn’t always so secret…

ok...the trade of davis and comisky for ralph and other guy is ONE SEPERATE TRADE ON ITS OWN.....

so Tom Wright cant do anything about it.

now a second seperate trade is going to be maas for danny mac and bakker.

nothing he can do about 2 seperate trades.

I don't see anything wrong with the trade, other then being envious of our arch rivals the Cats getting Jason. He may be the best QB next year in the East. It happens all the time in every sport about future considerations part at the end of the year. And especially when teams are at opposite ends of the standings. This has nothing to do with TW.

....true, as much as the Davis/Comiskey/Ralph trade is so lopsided you can't actually prove anything.......collusion is tough to gather evidence for unless like jm02 said you have a mole that rat's it out to the press.......even then, what can anyone do.....

.........in the land of horseys and pick-me-up trucks all a stamp fan can do is hope to see Ray absolutely sh!t his gold coloured pants, waddle off the field bowlegged and see Maas singlehandedly be a star like he has the last two weeks, knowing that he is gone next year leaving the Evil Empire with a HUGE one of these ? hanging over their now rudderless star cruiser.......

the ticats are going to be the 06 stamps.

...claridge will be healthy next year and give maas lots of time to find yeast and flick...plus Lumsden....

Ti-cats future looks bright...could take second in east.

He could of and should of asked the hard questions that needed to be asked at the time, before he approved the trade.
Almost everyone in the league knew that it was a very one sided deal and that what we are seeing is not the entire deal. You can not let a team make a trade, get allstars in return and keep the main player in the deal also, until the end of the season.

And if you think it was 2 seperate deals, I have some real estate in Florida that you might be interested in!