Is tonight the biggest night in Toronto sports history?

Why would anyone feel sorry for Toronto fans? They’ve got successful teams in every sport right now. It’s looking like the dawn of a golden age here.

First, the Leafs blew it.

Second, they turned their backs on the Jays, 1 year out of a playoff spot.

Third, the TFC lost/suck.

That’s a shame. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what any of your points have to do with my post.

Edit: Please avoid personal attacks. If you have a problem with a poster or post, please report it.

That’s a shame. :slight_smile:

FC stands for Toronto FC, also known as the Reds… anyway, the Craptors did win, though I could hardly give a rat’s behind… the Maple Laffs 3rd period collapse made my night…

I think one team winning a championship is bigger than 5 teams just winning a game.

I agree, Toronto’s Grey Cups, Stanley Cups, NLL Championships, World Series wins, etc. were all bigger nights.

But it was a pretty big night nonetheless, especially as 3 teams were involved in big playoff matches.

4 playoff games if you count the Marlies.

Just to give you an idea of the challenges the CFL and the Argos still face with some in that Toronto market. There was actually at least one report in Toronto media yesterday that had this line in their story about the big sports night.

For just the[b]sixth time[/b]ever, all 4 of[b]Toronto's[/b]major sports[b]teams[/b]will[b]play[/b]on the same[b]night[/b]
Fortunately most media did have it right and said four of five major sports teams or said 'these four teams' without saying anything about them being the only major sports teams.

Yes sambo it was a good night. :slight_smile:

Why it that TP.
I live in the city, couldn’t give a rats rectum for all the teams except my Argos and the CFL.
Despite the obvious connection, hate the MLSE for prior history and the way the media covers or lack there of for the Argos and the CFL.
So like a few of us here, we take great pride when losing is involved with those “major league” teams.

download.jpg

Hey it's sports Pat, people can have a "hate on" for the sports teams in a city all they want, it's called healthy cathartic emotional release.

Remember, sports is about fun and escapism, it's not something that anyone should really get in a pat-patter all about. It's sports. Enjoy and poke away all you want I say. Why do you think fans close to field level or ice level in sports yell out profanities galore at opposing players? It's sports, a place where you can get away with a lot of stuff, not everything, there is a line of course (except New York where there may not be much of a line ;)) and release your day to day pent up anger at the world.:-*

Pat, why do you take it personally, it seems, if anyone here has a problem with anything about Toronto? You seem to have a real problem with that for whatever reason. People make fun of cities, villages and towns and aspects of these everywhere all the time. Are you offended by Schitts Creek? In this case the opposite of a "Centre of the Universe" city like Toronto. :wink:

Some people in Toronto like to poke fun at their fellow citizens? Who cares, it's all in fun, people have fun poking humour at their fellow citizens where they live all the time without get all worked up about it. I think everyone in every city, town or village uses the expression "oh, but those people live on the other side of the tracks you know".8)

I love Schitts Creek actually Earl. I like Toronto - but prefer Hamilton as Toronto has gotten too crowded (and expensive) for my liking.

One of the things I really like about Hamilton though - is that it's location is still close enough for me to easily go to games in Toronto for the 'home teams' I cheer for. Those being TFC the Jays, Raps and Leafs. With GO service just over an hour from my home to get to games there. Heck on days like today I can see the CN Tower from my balcony in downtown Hamilton.

With the CFL I also go with my 'home team' and that of course is the Ti-Cats with Tim Hortons Field also visible from my balcony. lol

The other good thing about the location of Hamilton that I prefer over my 25 years of having lived in Toronto is that it is faster by about an hour to get to the games of the other 'home team' I cheer for - the Bills.

I guess you could call me a homer. I'd find it tougher to be a fan of any other teams in those leagues since in most sports (football being the exception) you don't really get to see very many games of other teams - whereas every game of teams I cheer for are easily availalble to me. So to me it only makes sense that those are the teams I cheer for.

So last night with four of my favourite teams in action all on one night - it was kind of cool - even though only one of the four came out with the result I was hoping for.

The reason I am glad the Leafs are out is because the CB of C, Sportsnet & Toronto's Sports Network will have to focus on the rest of the NHL team still in the hunt for the Cup. They will actually find out there is a country beyond the GTA-- they all hyped the "big sports night" and 3 of 4 teams lost... they should term last night the "big sports bust"... they would never do that for another Canadian city. One the most hated teams in all of pro sports gets nauseam coverage, for a team that hasn't done anything in the league they play in for 52 years...

So last night with four of my favourite teams in action all on one night - it was kind of cool - even though only one of the four came out with the result I was hoping for.
Absolutely Pat, you are a passionate fan of those teams and you should feel cool for sure! But if someone for whatever reason wants to take some fun jabs at Toronto teams whether they live in downtown Toronto or in the Northwest Territories, go with it, have fun. Some of my family living elsewhere think I'm living in a dirty, smelly steel town in Hamilton even though we love where we live in Hamilton. Whatever, I'm just not going to really give a rats arse.

Agree, the media coverage of the Leafs has been over the top, for a team that has done nothing since 67.
Similar for the Craptors, BJ and 5th team division caliber of soccer in North America.
Despite living here, I get it why the rest of the country hates this wanabee World Class city that fails to acknowledge true Canadiana when it literally smacks them in the face like our Argos and the CFL.
But of course, anything truly Canadian has not been cool and in fact I was one of a few that would face this nonsense years ago when I was in school and defending yet again my Argos and the CFL.
How sad.

You know I was gonna say who cares be a man go enjoy what you enjoy …
But then I realised who I am resonding to
You had to defend the Argos? REALLY? From who? People like YOU who can’t just shut up but have to come out and bash everything you don’t like.

Your complaining about something you do that’s funny

One of the reasons CBC, TSN and Sportsnet devote so much time to the Leafs is all about $$$ related to ratings.

Last night's Game 7 was watched in part by 11.2 million Canadians. That is the highest reach for an NHL game since 2014 and a reach of about one million higher than the 2017 Grey Cup.

It averaged 4.18 million viewers (about equal to TSN's 4.1 million average Grey Cup numbers in November).

Not sure whether my response here is necessary.
For a person living in a different city and country, it is the ultimate in hypocrisy for you to even comment on local issues that we have here in Toronto, not to mention our country.
Go away.