Is this stupider? The sequel

Wow Bobo you did it again! This is more of the kind of strategically creative thinking we need around here and leadership in national capitals too I figure.

Will Ferrell once referred to it as "strategery" I do believe, but I digress.

How about a sumo suit face off 5-on-5 guys plus give them boxing gloves? No holds barred - they have protection after all!

Although this is a good idea, it's not happening for reasons cited above. None of those making these decisions wants at least one more quarter of football instead of a chance for the game to end earlier.

As is EXACTLY what would happen if you had a team like the Steelers or Ravens involved - no thank you.

There must be a greater sense of urgency during overtime. Score, or defend and be at full risk.

1 Like

All 3 are equally bad ways to end a game. Overtime should not be a modified version of the game. Shorter quarters/periods sure. But 3 on 3? Shoot outs? Coins? If fans can't stomach another few minutes of a sport they claim to like then decide all overtime games in every sport with a game of darts. And if darts can go in to overtime - make them play cribbage.

2 Likes

It's the TV networks mostly. The fans rarely have a say in anything.

3 Likes

Nail, meet head.

1 Like

I agree. Was being a bit sarcastic about it.

1 Like

no worries, I enjoyed the take.

1 Like

In the regular season, it would be a different kettle of fish, but in the playoffs, my solution is:

One five-minute OT session to determine the winner. Conducted just like regular 60 minutes except it's 5 minutes long. If at the end of that session, the game is still tied, play another 5 minutes. And then another. Eventually someone will be the winner.

3 Likes

Oh, and no automatic 1-point converts. Every TD is followed by a two-point convert.

3 Likes

Yes. Play ball with both teams getting the same chance to win by playing f&$#*ing ball.

Heads. You lose. Unbelievable b.s. I wouldn’t be surprised if people down south started to discuss changing this ridiculousness.

3 Likes

Remove the clock and go by possessions .

Each get two possessions no matter how they are achieved kickoff , punt , fumble , INT , loss of downs .

If They are still tied ....

they each get one more possession until they eventually have a winner by the score .

like baseball scoring .

And yes it maybe possible within the first two possessions the second possession of the second team will have to concede if the first two possessions resulted in more than 8 points ahead .

Walk off winning drive .

2 Likes

Not being able to respond is just ludicrous, I agree.

2 Likes

I would also run those 5-minute OT sessions 100% as if you're inside the 2-minute warning at the end of a half. Hurry-up offense. Get the ball spotted quickly, get the play off, or you're toast. Heighten the stakes. The better-prepared and/or better-conditioned players will shine.

1 Like

I never had a problem with ties. Did sports betting make them unacceptable?

1 Like

That’s a good question. Maybe. But they could probably nudge the odds in their favour enough to make ties profitable.

Back in the old days ties were a huge profit if you won. From what I remember it was fan complaint and media giving it too much attention.

Might work great if you can convince the nhl guys to move forward toward the opposing goal like i'm sure the kids did. Problem is, 3 on 3 nhl overtime looks like soccer. They are going backwards or passing backwards most of the period. It's garbage - play darts instead!!

1 Like

There used to be a saying in hockey...”A tie on the road is as good as a win.”
Or something like that.

3 Likes

Its akin to shinney.

1 Like