Is this stupider? The sequel

Wow! What a fantastic game last night between Buffalo and KC.
Two next generation superstar quarterbacks putting on a show for the ages. It almost felt like a CFL game. Too bad the whole thing was decided by a coin toss. To my point.....which is the stupidest ( and most unfair ) way to lose a game?
Soccer’s penality kicks.
Hockey’s three on three overtime.
The NFL’s “ if we win the coin toss and score a td, game over.”

Please enlighten me as to the benefits of this rule. Let me know what you think.

3 Likes

The coin toss is, to me, the dumbest, most illogical and unfair way to decide a game. I just don’t get the reason behind the other team not getting their chance to score.

4 Likes

I think they should have the QB's throw footballs thru moving tires at different yardage intervals . If still tied after that they go to a second round which would be a field goal kicking contest starting from the 35 yd line going back 5 yds on each successful kick until somebody misses .

If the game is still tied after that then they go to an actual Sudden Death . Both teams pick the biggest guy they have and they square off and beat the shit out of each other until one of them can't get up .

9 Likes

My pick Is Brad Pitt as Achilles.

2 Likes

It should be 10 man football in overtime. Kickoff, both teams get a possession. Still tied then take a man off the field. When you're down to three you have a field goal competition. If you're still tied after both teams have kicked you move the ball back 5 yards. Missed field goals are returnable.

1 Like

How about playing a full quarter? If it’s still tied keep going ‘till you get ‘er done?

1 Like

Lol I can live with that but some people are worried about one team chewing up the clock.

2 Likes

I remember when games ended in the occasional tie. All these overtime deciders seem gimmicky.

1 Like

So the CFL's playoff over-time rules aren't so bad after all.

6 Likes

yes they are, just not as bad as NFL.

5 Likes

Way better than down south. At least both teams get a shot.
Still think they should play normal ball for a quarter.

1 Like

For regular season I don't mind a tie either. I hear you.

5 Likes

Especially in hockey. I think it might have something to do with ties being considered un-American.

4 Likes

Yeah, NHL basically is an American league now. Canadian teams are having a tough time because of the high taxes. The best players will want to move to Florida, Texas etc.

2 Likes

That's where these guys come in handy to have around:

3 Likes

As to the 3 on 3 in hockey?
If you MUST eliminate ties (I don't believe you do) then the 3 on 3 seems to me to be an excellent way of keeping the spirit of the game as opposed to a shootout.

I loved it when my son was a kid in Edmonton. In tournaments, when there was a tie, and ice times were tight, OT was 3 minutes 5 on 5, then 4 on 4. then 3 on 3, ending with 2 on 2 skaters until a score. What a hoot! And little things like line changes were quite important.

4 Likes

I'm ok with it too, a little bit gimmicky but much better than a shootout, spirit of the game as you say.

2 Likes

You do remember when it was "whoever scores first - even if it's a field goal" for most of our lives don't you?

I don't see any way you make people happy with this one. Leave it be where it is now, for it took long enough for the stodgy NFL owners to fix just that.

At least for the playoffs they still use 15-minute overtime periods.

The NFL and all media parties do not want games lasting any longer than they have to last even though that was such an instant classic that many of us never wanted it to end.

The coin toss did not decide it. The offence has to play offence, and the defence has to play defence. Sink or swim.

And after the first possession but for a touchdown (or a safety by the defence), you know the rest.

1 Like

Didn’t The Chiefs win after winning the coin toss and scoring a touchdown on the first possession?