Is This Much Player Movement Good for the League?

Dammed if you did, dammed if you didn’t move from team.

2 Likes

/Raises hand slowly

Well, the more you know. So wait, sometimes you soil them for …? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

//Runs away and hides behind another commenter in the crowd

1 Like

It definitely increases league instability and decreases fan attachment to players
It is even tougher on players who get older or worse injured

The positive side for a bad team is that a new year can totally reverse the previous years results
A couple signings an even a team like Ottawa or Edmonton can legitimately go from winless to division champs
Which then increases teams chances to sign more free agents and increases casual fan support

3 Likes

Kinda like the way we play golf at our annual 2 day tourney. We only count the best score for each hole. That way everyone’s still in it the second day (sober or not). :yum:

1 Like

NHL used to do same thing (pre-playoffs)
First half regular season winner would play second half regular season winner for the Stanley Cup
Very rarely 1 team won both halves (like twice if memory serves)

1 Like

I don't think all player movement is good at all
And here's my reasoning a player comes to your city you buy is Jersey
A year later he's somewhere else

The CFL has a marketing problem
I'm one of the reasons as you can't put a face to the game
And the constant turnover is causing a major part of this problem

I hate the one-year contracts
It basically means that players are rental
So don't get attached to them

5 Likes

Totally agree. Cutting players the day before their bonuses are due makes the League look Mickey Mouse. Looked good on the League when Darian Durant kept his $70,000 signing bonus.

6 Likes

I wonder how many bought those Johnny Manziel jerseys before the trade to Montreal?

2 Likes

Like Manziel there were also so many other highly-touted, often overly hyped players out of college Heisman Trophy winner or otherwise, by mostly ESPN in the US yet we’ve seen TSN do plenty of it too with these guys, that heavy lessons should be learned here by the CFL going forward as they reshape their media contract.

The NFL no doubt has tremendous and the most clout of all brands on TV.

One of many ways the NFL got there decades ago was to make sure to secure their brand image on the screen, and the NFL managed to succeed despite plenty of hijinks and folly and bad looks off the field. Every year has its new scandals revealed from past misdeeds, but come September everybody is watching and suspends that reality.

As a pro sports league you do not let a single medium define and shape your brand, including free reign without qualification of the coverage of certain players, which is why the NFL over the years rebuffed ESPN on many fronts and why it is important for the CFL to not put all their chips in the stack for branding and marketing with merely one media outfit.

On the other hand for all the other players not so high-profile, and we have made this point here on this forum many times over the years, a team also invests heavily in player development and the franchise and fan base should get at least two years from those succeeding given all who are cut or suffer from serious injuries in any pro football.

Some of those good and great players then turn into the franchise players whom we grow to love watching play or dread when they suit up on the other side of the ball.

3 Likes

I guess a few collectors bought those Montreal Manziel jerseys thinking they’d be worth something someday AFTER his epic comeback to the NFL in 2030… or whenever. One went for $25 on Poshmark (down from $50). :grin:

https://poshmark.com/listing/Johnny-Manziel-2-Montreal-Alouettes-Jersey-5f7767d27ec30cac9702563d

2 Likes

Shoot the buyer probably would have done better to offer $10 plus a free order of loaded nachos.

2 Likes

Shipping those loaded nachos would’ve been tricky. Someone needs to invent edible bubble wrap. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah well I don’t know the postal rates in Canada, but ship the cheque plus the loaded nachos less than 1 pound in the US, and it is less than $6 to most places in the slowest mode.

Of course I didn’t state that you make any guarantee on the ingredients.

1 Like

Good point. The food in question would have to include non-toxic ingredients but ‘real food’ wouldn’t survive the trip. I don’t want to poison anyone (not right now anyway). Therefore my ‘loaded nachos to go (through the mail)’ would have to be made of Twinky chemicals. Twinkies can last for decades in a non-refigerated environment. Elon Musk could send them to Mars. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

It is a disaster as far as fans are concerned. We get attached to certain players especially when you learn things about them such as struggles making teams, family situations, being involved in the community etc.

Plus, I will never buy another jersey with the players number or name. :cry:

3 Likes

I would. A bc lions Flutie 22 would always be worth buying to me. Same with a Canucks Pavel Bure number 10.

2 Likes

Durant walking on the Bombers opened the door for Chris Streveler. Could have been the best $70,000 they spent in 2019.

2 Likes

True enough. Chris hasn’t yet proven himself as a starter, but he is a big scary force. Made good money in the NFL the last two years.

2 Likes

Really good point. He bragged afterwards about ‘sticking it to the Bombers’. Kinda funny how that backfired on Durant. He could’ve been been ‘The Guy’ who came in and rode our team into the playoffs when Nichols went down. All of that salary and extra playoff money would’ve put a smile on that face I’m sure. Instead he ‘opened the door’ (as you said) for Streveler AND probably for that improbable trade that brought Collaros here.

Thank you Durant. We couldn’t have done it without you (and your dickish move). :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

We can thank Darren Durant, Lawrence Simoni Aaand Mr. Pinball Clemson, for the Two Grey Cups

Durant - dine & dash for $70K, welcome Streveler.

Simoin - knocked the stuffing out of Collaros game #1 Regina 2019. Traded to Toronto.

Pinball - newly minted Argos GM, traded Collaros to Winnipeg with 20 minutes to spare on the trade deadline.

Special nominee 2021 Tim White.

Tweedle-Dee Dum and Tweedle-Dee Dee, these are the stars that are nearest to me

C’mon, Everybody take a knee

3 Likes