Is This Much Player Movement Good for the League?

Dave Naylor Asks...

1 Like

Not sure if it is hurting much. Be nice if fav players would stay on ones fav team for their whole career but one gets used to it not being this way.

I remember when I was a pre teen and Coach Eagle Keys went from Riders to Lions. I was pissed. I felt he was a dirty traitor. I just didnt understand

2 Likes

Of course it isn't good.

But like the Architect of the Matrix said.

"There are different levels of survival we are willing to accept"

efficient-efficiency

3 Likes

Didn't he also say, "One year contracts are killing the Matrix Neo. Sign for two and we'll throw in a free pen." (they may have cut that scene)

4 Likes

Yes. I too was pissed. But then in later years I realized it was the One Year Contracts that were at fault. I'd soiled a perfectly good diaper for nothing.

4 Likes

I think it hurts the league to some degree as it can weaken fan attachment to particular players on the roster.

The best suggestion I've heard to address the issue is to give teams the right to match offers from other CFL teams.

In that case, veteran players would still be signing one-year contracts (allowing them an out for NFL shots), but make them RFAs in the CFL after that one year and maybe UFAs after two or three years.

That's something I think players might agree to, given that the CFLPA recognizes that so much turnover is an issue.

5 Likes

That sounds reasonable. We still have to hammer out that CFLPA agreement (hopefully this year). Maybe contracts get longer again after that happens.

3 Likes

IMO the CFL's problem is the optics of being a 9-team league. A player bouncing around multiple clubs in the NFL or NBA isn't really an issue when you have 30+ teams, but in the CFL it starts to look ridiculous when a player can literally cover half the league in their career, and then you kick it up a notch to "Kevin Glenn level".

I mean, this forum is filled with many of the most hardcore, knowledgeable and dyed-in-the-wool CFL fans around (along with EZ_Football) and even HERE the possibility of Glenn being on EVERY SINGLE TEAM'S roster was treated as a running joke.

5 Likes

Kevin Glenn had a terrific sense of humor. He was always a good interview. I can see him looking back on his 'Nine Team Tour' when he hits his 80's with a donut in one hand and a coffee in the other (he runs a coffee house franchise in Detroit).

"Only in the CFL could I have done that. If I tried to play for every team in the NFL I'd still be playing."

3 Likes

That's an interesting point. No dogging it if you want a raise the following year. I knew there'd be an upside.

4 Likes

I never found it a joke.

Long term guaranteed contracts have many downsides. Players mailing it in, teams that can’t improve because their cap space is used up by players not even suiting up. You also invite the farcical trades we often see in the NHL, for example, where players are parked on other teams rosters, often the Coyotes. I don’t see how you can achieve players remaining with a team long term without guaranteed contracts. The current situation is by no means ideal, but like I said, in my opinion the lesser of two evils and better for the integrity and competitiveness of the league in general.

5 Likes

They might be able to get the CFLPA to agree to one per team. If it becomes part of the system, it will hurt players.

2 Likes

Good point. What do the players think of the current model? Does it help attract talent?

1 Like

Doesn't solve the non guarantee issue where teams discard players like toilet paper when they feel like it.

1 Like

Yes and no. It can be interesting to see how big signings do with their new teams. But I agree with FYB in that keeping good players long term is what fans want.

3 Likes

True, but it would still give players the opportunity to negotiate a new salary each year while increasing the chances of roster stability.

1 Like

Just don't think it's going to change anything.
Lawler would have still got offered $250k and he'd be gone.
Most of the time the reason the player leaves is because the team didn't match the offer anyways.

2 Likes

Ask Ottawa fans if they think player movement is good for the league. It's definately good for Ottawa.
They gained the most in FA and on paper they are looking pretty good. I would imagine that fans interest has gone up and people are renewing their season tickets early and fans that were on the fence or jumping off the band wagon will be jumping back on.
Yes, player movement is good for teams and the CFL

2 Likes

Dammed if you did, dammed if you didn't move from team.

2 Likes