IS THIS CHEAP FOR CFL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK?

Up until this morning when I heard Dominique Dorsey being interviewed on Fan 590 in Toronto during the weekly Argo hour show, I had no idea what the weekly player award winners get from the league.
After hearing it, I couldn't believe how cheap the league is and no doubt can be regarded as a laughing stock for professional leagues.
I would have thought the minimal would be $1000 plus maybe a plaque and some sponsor related benefits like the FNF watch.
Dominique wasn't compaining when asked by Mike Toth and answered about getting some food vouchers and a $100 voucher at Future Shop.
Am I the only one that thinks this is really cheap and bush league?
What would you give on behalf of the league?

I used to love the old Schenley stars that players put on their helmets.

Cheap from the league? Or maybe cheap from the Canadian companies who were asked to sponsor this but declined? I don't know.

If I remember correctly, Corey Holmes won Player of the Week a few times and each time he won a DVD player that he'd send back home to kids in his hometown school. That would be back in the day when DVD players were, what... $50 - $75?

The doesnt have to have a player of the week in the first place

What is there 18 potw's?
Someone can't set aside $36,000 and do them justice...
just can't understand that!!!

21 weeks * 4 catagories + 4 months * 4 catagories =

100 awards / year

If Rogers would take it's $78M over 5 years, and pay that to outstanding players ....

With all of the promos available to the league, such as Future Shop, Wendy's etc., surely the league can afford $1000 X 4 awards per week the 18 weeks = $72,000.00.
Even to the CFL this should be chicken feed.
$1000 plus $1000 Future shop vouchers, plus a nice plaque is not alot.
Step up CFL.

That is too bad the warrior of the game or what ever it is that Suitor chooses get a pretty nice watch.

PS I also forgot to mention how there are players of the month awards.
What do they get, $150 Future Shop voucher plus Wendy's coupons?

I didn’t think they got money for the weekly awards…I thought a plaque or mini-throphy was the award. A coupon for Futureshop does seem a bit tacky, unless they get a little trophy also.

There could be something in players contracts as well

I think getting the attention as player of the week all over the papers and airways would be enough! as long as your getting recognized for your hard work the rest is a bonus!

How about getting them a date with Krista Giamos??????

Ludicrously low. The stupid kick for a million contest pays out more cash to non-players for making one-time kicks from different areas on the field.

I bet some of the players on hand for the kick for a million when that guy made it said to him something like “can I have your autograph, you make more than any of us players!” :wink:

Ah, but that’s one thing I do like about our league, the salaries are in line making the price of tickets more affordable for the average joe like me. With excellent talent to boot! So not slagging at all, quite the opposite.

I bet some of the players on hand for the kick for a million when that guy made it said to him something like "can I have your autograph, you make more than any of us players!" :wink:

Ah, but that's one thing I do like about our league, the salaries are in line making the price of tickets more affordable for the average joe like me. With excellent talent to boot! So not slagging at all, quite the opposite.

Who is Krista Giamos?

I don't care what they get, just as long as it is being counted towards the sms. :wink:

But seriously, it seems pretty frugal.

Maybe they could start something like the Molson Cup in hockey, and award it to the team with the most potw/m points at the end of the season. Would at least give the players some kind of bragging rights at the end of it.

I think they should change the program to worst player of the week, and your prize is you've lost your job, here's a plane ticket. :smiley: