Is there not a High School Field Edmonton can play in?

I've been a CFL fan for over 50 years. The fan numbers at games is really an issue that the CFL has to address. It's a fan driven league and if you would have removed all the Rider fans from Commonwealth Stadium the rest could have fit in a phone booth.
There has to be a way to market this great game to another generation of fans....I hope!

3 Likes

Crowd was actually a (little) bit better than I expected, but a long, long ways from the glory days. Winning a few (ahem) would bring more fans out I'm sure.

1 Like

Yes, winning a few has a LOT to do with it. Winning just one might be asking too much though. Is there something else we could do?

OneRepublic? It worked for us.

2 Likes

The 'Free Beer' marketing plan has always been a crowd pleaser. This year we should add free pretzels to the mix.

2 Likes

I like free beer!:smiley:. Great idea! Run it by the powers that be. Can I trade the pretzels for a hot dog?

3 Likes

Yes. As long as the hot dog you're trading for has been on the grill for at least two days.

2 Likes

As stated above if the Riders were not in town the fan count would have fit into a phone booth

1 Like

At this point the Elks home record is so bad that it might have to be free touchdown per quarter for the home team to make the games exciting for the Edmonton crowd to wanna watch.

2 Likes

A handicap, eh? Novel idea, but let's start with a field goal per quarter, & take it from there.

More Cheemo perogy giveaways????

1 Like

Can they fix up old Clarke Stadium? That should hold everybody now.

1 Like

I think they would have to dig it up out of a landfill and reconfigure it first

Should get the same construction company to do it that built IG Field...can't do much of a worse job than that place

Winning does help but I noticed a LOT of empty seats in Winnipeg last night. Back to Back GCs and they were looking for a 3-0 start on a Friday night. Still did not sell out. There has to be more to promoting the product than just a winning record.

Lot of empty seats but given the weather no doubt there wasn't much of a walk up crowd. The forecast (& reality) was truly horrific. Winnipeg will do ok attendance wise. Edmonton has to be concerned, I think a competitive team is the only thing that will bring their crowds back.

Huge storm delayed the game starting… . fans were told to vacate the stands due to danger of lightning