Is the System of Officiating Broken?

Again, it was not called to the letter of the rule.
Forcibly hitting a passer when he is in the pocket at or below the knees…
It was not forceibly done…

RO,
He DID tackle Pierce didn't he? I would call that using force. Therefore it was forcibly done.

Sniff how in the world can I guy that is in flight change direction. When you come up with an answer please let me know that would be the first time you posted something remotely intelligent.

Soon this will not be tackle football. There has been so many bad calls related to protecting the QB it is rediculious. I do not know about any one else but QB’s 10 years ago had no such rules and most are fine today. Now it is protect the QB. Yes late hits that is understandable. But the rules in place create poor judgement calls by the refs. It is a joke and this league better fix it. I am one fan that is slowly looking south of the border for my football entertainment. I am a long time CFL fan supporter but this rule is changing the outcome of some games. Soon a QB will be throwing from a lawn chair. Nearly every game now we have bad calls for all teams related to this joke of a rule. The O lineman protect the QB not the refs.

…you sir are an idiot…did you even watch the game?..Simon injured his own hip by falling on it during a legal tackle…you’re entitled to your opinions, just don’t be surprized when you are ridiculed for them…

So then ever QB sack should result in a flag because they all involve tackling

Now you are being silly, that or sarcastic :stuck_out_tongue:

To be honest, Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not......
You claimed Pierce was tackled therefore it was forceable and as per the rule the flag was justified!

Anybody remember which quarter Simon and Pierce got hit?

...Simon in the third, Pierce in the fourth...

That call mystifies me. How are you supposed to tackle the QB? That rule has to be changed, like 2005 says, this is tackle football!

...that is why I still think it must be the phantom punch by Young...if you look at Jake running in from the side he throws the flag well after Pierce is down but right after Young pumps his arm close to Pierce's head...just thinking out loud, well, not out loud per se but by writing, typing to be exact, ah fugedaboutit...

Actually R&W, I'll disagree. Did they announce "Roughing the Passer"? If so, then it was because of the low hit. (Which I disagree with the rule) If they announced just "Unnecesary Roughing" then your assumption about the punch would be correct. I can't remember what they announced.....

I have no problem with penalizing low tackles or blows to the head.
The only change this year I don’t like is the zero step policy.
It should be totally a discretionary call by the ref. Some of the love taps that have been called this year have been a disgrace.

I haven’t seen the “penalty” you guys are talking about, but if the ref in question was Jake ireland, if he screwed it up, no real surprise.

…lol, I don’t know what the call was Sporty, we were all booing too loud for Jake to be heard…you’re right though, if it was ‘Roughing the Passer’ then that would lean to the tackle whereas ‘Unnecessary Roughness’ would be the arm pump…knowing Jake the call was probably "Unnecessary Roughness on the Passer’ so it would cover all portions of his a$$…

…Arius, flip back a page or two and ro has the video for it…

But now, on the hit that put Buck Pierce out, that Stampeder player should be put in San Quentin, along with Fred Perry, and nNgela Mosca! :wink:

Wrapping a player at or below the knees going by running with the ball by you near the line of scrimmage is not roughing anybody; infact that is text book wrapping and tackling. This league has become a joke because of the officiating this year. I am just in awe that people such as NED or others defends this idiocy and give it merit that such a tackle is illegal. Lets see; you can suplex a receiver(as we have seen twice this year) but can't tackle at the knees of a qb that is running the ball forward.

Time for some change here CFL; why do we have to discuss ridiculous calls week in and week out; pretty soon soccer is gonna become the acceptable alternative.

Can't wait for US coillege to start next week. At least they try to get it right.

All you coaches out there better teach your kids to tackle at the waist because the stripes at the CFL have declared legs off limits. The part the gets me is that they probably read these posts and just shake their heads that we don't know what we are talking about.
BTW on the pierce play he was through the pocket; nearly past the line of scrimmage. The rule was intended so the big hogs on the line wouldnt go rolling over qbs as they were falling and cause havoc. How about some discretion form some INEPT Stripes?

Oh my!
I should have known ro would have posted the video–death, taxes and video by ro…

Anyway, that was…how shall I put this…pathetic?
I have no idea what the ref thought he saw on that play.
Regarding jake the snake Ireland, if that is the official, I think he had one a couple of years ago where Benefield tapped Henry Burris on the helmet in one of those “good play” things players do all the time and he tossed the flag.
Later it was admitted that he didn’t actually see the “foul” but he saw “something” out of the corner of his eye, so threw the flag. Not 100% who the ref was then, but this was arguably worse as he was looking right at the play and still tossed the flag.
Acid flashback maybe?
There is no foul on that play, not even with the new wuss rules this year.

arius
although some topics we differ on opinions; but this was the most absurd call I have ever seen; he wasnt even in the pocket he was actually rolling out on the swing pass if you look at the open receiver at the bottom.

It's time for change; I was going to the LAbour day game; they just lost my $300 for the day. Unless the CFL smartens up I am done and not a fan. These are pro athletes letting parttimer decide their futures.

They called roughing the passer on this play.
I think it is getting more and more ridiculous if a tackler cant reach out and grab the QB's ankles. I can see it as a penalty if the tackler dove at the knees from in front but not from the side or from behind!