IS RICKY RAY DONE?

Wow, for a team that got kicked up and down the field last week, they sure didn't come out with much emotion. They look like last years Bombers right now when Glenn struggled with no running game and a bad o-line.

By about the third quarter last night I started questioning whether Ricky Ray was actually ever that good.

Think about it:

The one Cup they did win was as much Maas coming in off the bench as Ray. For a guy that's supposedly the best in the league, he's guided that team to 3 straight 4th place finishes in the West. He's never had a rocket arm, and so far this year has thrown a bad ball - major league arc and wobble.

I don't know. He's put up some good numbers, but remember, his receiving corps was once Terry Vaughn, Mookie Mitchell, Jason Tucker, Ed Hervey and some token Canadian. That crew could make anyone look good.

It's crazy - one game was played and not one, but two QB controversies have erupted.

Ain't the CFL grand? Heck, there could quite likely be a third QB controversy erupt tonight..................if the Stamps fall to 0-3, some pointed questions will be directed Hank's way...................if the Argos lose, I don't foresee a similar controversy erupting there, as they have no one of note behind Joseph anyway.............unless Rita picks up the phone and calls Casey Printers............which if the Argos get stomped just might happen, who knows.

I have been saying based on last year how Joseph was done, now he has played slightly better but in my mind he should be on a short leash for sure.
Like Ray, if he has another stinker, mind you I would start Maas next week, well then either my Argos or the Esks should have Casey Printer's number on speed dial.
By the way, I forgot about the GC win and Artie is correct, if it wasn`t for Maas, the super reliever, they would not have made it to the GC and won it.

Not so sure that Ricky Ray is the problem - Pin this one on Danny Maccocia and the decisons he has made. Those filter down. Not sure why they kept him (D.M.) considering his overall dismall performance over the past three - four years. :roll:

My memory is not what it once was…but as I recall, Maas came off the bench to get the Esks the wins in the semifinal and the West final…so they would not have made it to the Cup without him…but that Ray won the Cup and did not have to be relieved by Maas in the Cup game.

I don't think Ricky Ray is done, but he just isn't the same somehow. His throws don't seem to have the zip or accuracy we have been accustomed to seeing from him. He used to be able to drop those 40 yard + passes into his receivers hands with a DB hanging all over them. Don't see that happening too much now. Maybe those shoulder injuries have caught up with him. A separated shoulder to a throwing arm is not easy to come back from, especially for a pin point passer.

But I'm going to keep watching regardless. :slight_smile:

Ricky Ray is just about the only part of the Esks offense that isn't done. They have the best backup QB in the league too.

The receiving corps (minus Tucker and Campbell) isn't as good as last year, and the running game and O-line is exactly as good as last year. It could be ugly in Edmonton this season.

Ray's arm is not as strong as it was.. and heck it never really was very strong.

the majority of his throws are little short passes and then his receivers pick up all the yac yards! he can't seem to make those big throws that are 20-30yds... it's like his arm has lost a few steps.

The reason they don't throw deep is because the defenses have figured out how to stop Ray, and that's by eliminating the deep ball and then making/forcing Ray to throw short.. and as he has said in the paper today, the teams may have started to predict their offense!

the Esks are looking very poorly run and this keeps up, they'll be missing the playoffs again.

You are correct.
I recall one play in yesterday's game, where surprisingly Ray went long and the receiver was wide open, I forget now whether it was Mann or Kamau, in any event he was about five yards behind the closest coverman. If Ray leads the runner an easy TD. So what happens, he under throws, maybe for him its not an under throw with his lack of arm strength, and the DB comes in and bats the ball down.

Did you not just contradict yourself. I think if Edmonton can pull together their O-line the Running game should improve which should take some of the heat off of Ray

is this thread for real????

If the Esks don't want RR, the Als would take him any time for the future QB when Calvillo decides to hang up his cleats. I still am a great fan of RR. He CAN throw the long bomb, can function within or outside the pocket and is a strong athlete who is very hard to bring down. Actually, I was quite suprised he did not make it in the NFL.

Haven't read every post here have to admit but if the Eskies had Tucker, I doubt this thread would even exist.

To me it seems that the Esks's problems are much deeper than any QB can control.

You are right on with that post rpaege. It's not just Ricky Ray, Jason Maas is upset also, something is going on and what I'm wondering is; are the Eskimo players not buying into this new coaching side of things? Seems more deeper than one can imagine from a fans point of view. I like that video from the 1976 Grey cup game won by Ottawa in the last few seconds; Sask. was caught off gaurd in one of the highlight games of the 70's. The 1971 classic was a dandy as well with Cagary winning out over Toronto.

The hiring of Daley is a huge mistake and it was quite obvious on Thursday. Doug Brown called him, THE WORST COACH HE HAS EVER PLAYED FOR ! If Richie Hall continues to look bewildered on the side lines, it may be a complete disaster.

The Esks coaching staff is starting to resemble last years Stubler/Matthews fiasco.

Well i give Hall at least the year ,as far as Worman ,Daley ,Machoaka I would pull the trigger a little sooner , but my gut tells me to be Patient.

Ricky Ray is not done, not by a long shot. He's still a great QB who is slumping because his O-line is garbage, his O.C. doesn't know how to call a game properly or scheme effectively, and his GM didn't bring in talent to replace substantial losses at receiver (Tucker, Campbell). What's going on in Edmonton is a perfect example of the fact that it takes a team to win or lose, not just one man.