Is new City Council GC friendly

I just want to tell you that it was in between 1995 and 1997 and 3 years before 1999 but it definitely wasn’t 1998 . Hope this clears things up for you . ;D

Just in case it isn’t clear… the last GC Hamilton hosted was 1996.

That’s a 1 followed by two 9’s and a 6.

Just so we’re clear! :wink:

1 cup in 48 years.

Cuts to education literally affect everyone. Hurting education hurts the long-term economic health of the province.

Two, actually. We hosted (and won) in 1972.

I’ll help you with the math:
2018 - 1972 = 46
Hosted: 1972, 1996

Therefore it would be accurate to say 2 cups in 46 years
or
1 cup in 45 years

From 1972 until 2020 Hamilton hosted 1 Grey Cup. That’s 48 years.

Well said!!

Well since 2020 hasn’t been awarded yet, you can’t say that.

And furthermore, we hosted in 72 and 96. So between 1972 and 2019 we’ve hosted TWICE in 47 years.

Yes it’s bad. But accuracy is important

From December 4th 1972 to December 6th 2020 is a period of 48 years. In that time frame 1996 is the only Grey Cup hosted by Hamilton. That’s one cup in 48 years.

Wow you will go to great lengths to not admit you were wrong (ps - no one picks a date like that as the starting point)

But again, 2020 hasn’t been awarded to ANYONE yet, so you can’t say that. Or else you can arbitrarily pick a date in 2176 and say we have hosted one in 200 years.

Didn’t we also host it in 1999?

It’s pretty safe to assume were not getting 2020. Beyond that I’ll give the benefit of the doubt. That’s one cup in 48 years.

I heard from my ward councillor that we’re in the running for the cup in 2020 and there’s a good chance we’ll get it. As for whether the new council is grey cup friendly, I believe they are. How could anyone on council want to turn it down now that the stadium is built and the lawsuits are over? It was one of the things that was promised to us in exchange for the $60M we contributed to the new stadium. They aren’t waiting for LRT to bid on a grey cup. We will have a cup before and again after LRT is done. After all, we were promised two.

Don't know about the Grey Cup but LRT is an eyesore and gridlock waiting to happen. People were misinformed in this Municipal Election. The electorate were fed the rumour that without the LRT, Hamilton wouldn't be getting the billion dollar transfer payment from Doug Ford, but Ford said that the billion dollars is for Hamilton not the LRT and can be used in any manner the City likes. So the fear mongering that the Left likes to accuse Conservatives of fomenting, was actually used as a weapon of disinformation to achieve just that, against an uniformed electorate many of which aren't even aware that Hamilton is a Sanctuary City.
Actually, the electorate were fed plenty of rumours from the well funded Vito Sgro campaign that Hamilton had a $1B blank cheque from Ford with which to build whatever it wants, but nothing could be further from the truth. The LRT project, which is already approved and underway, is to be financed by a private consortium which will build, operate and maintain it, with funding to be recouped through future revenue. This financing arrangement is possible because the companies that build it know that it is profitable and will generate revenue. If Hamilton were to back out of this arrangement that is the product of 52 Council votes thus far (and expose itself to legal repercussions in doing so), there is no guarantee that any such funding will be approved in the future. I've been following and advocating for LRT since it was proposed over 10 years ago and have witnessed how long it takes and how much work it takes for a project of this magnitude to achieve an actual funding commitment even after upper levels of government 'promise' it. Dalton McGuinty promised '2 rapid transit lines for Hamilton' in his 2007 election campaign and in 2015 the Wynne government finally announced full capital funding for the B-line LRT. That was after 8 years of the same government, the one that initially promised the project, and here we are with that fully funded project again in jepoardy. In contrast, Doug Ford and Donna Skelly have made vague statements that funding is there for 'transit', transit and infrastructure', or 'other infrastructure' depending on who was asked and when. A promise from Doug Ford is worth the napkin it's written on, and that includes his promise to allow LRT to continue if Hamilton still wants it. But if we reject it and go back to the drawing board, it will take years more to find out from whoever is in provincial office by then what if any funding will be available. That, as anyone who followed the LRT file, is how it works. They don't hand out millions or billions to cities to widen roads, fix potholes or run our transit system. That's the City's job. Funding from higher government is for transformative long term capital projects and it takes a lot of time to get. And once a billion dollar project is cancelled by a council who thinks they all of a sudden know better, all bets are off.

What we all have to remember is that Ryan McGreal calls the shots in Hamilton. (joking here) This guy is still talking about the stadium for pete sakes that didn't get in his desired location. We are way past the stadium Ryan, it's now LRT, move on! See link below. Talk about what I say is a loser mentality. However I actually think that there have been some local politicians in this city that have been swayed by this guy, whatever he is, local "activist" "cult downtown guru" whatever. He told me on Twitter a few days ago in response to my asking him why he still brings the stadium up that the stadium being built at the current location didn't fit into any of Hamilton's objectives. I should have asked him why the Future Fund was providing funds towards either WH or the current site but I didnt. At any rate, why does he continue to harp on the stadium? I don't get it. I just hope that this guy doesn't have much sway any longer with Hamilton's politicians but one can only hope. He has a personal agenda or two IMHO. My guess he'd love to see Hamilton not host a Grey Cup and hopefully Eisenberger doesn't agree with this guy.

https://raisethehammer.org/article/3573/sgro_joined_by_bratina_skelly_in_anti-lrt_conference_call

This thread will be locked in 3… 2… 1…

As fast as you can say “Connie Mack”.

The new council doesn’t sit until December, unless they call an emergency meeting, I don’t think we’d here anything GC wise until at least then.

I believe the CFL typically would announce the 2020 location at this year’s GC which of course is end of November, before the 1st new council meeting.

If we’re to get 2020, either the leauge will have to delay an an announcement, or council will have to speed up a decision.

Why would anyone want to lock up this baby. Trying to generate momentum towards the City and the Cats to get this done. I will be emailing my new councillor E Pauls that this is important to the Hammer.

All these points are well and good… but does everyone understand that 1996 was the last time Hamilton hosted a cup?

I think the 7th or 8th time is a charm.

Oh… and only two in 40 odd years.

We all on the same page? Continue…