Is Masoli shopping?

It must be getting tense by now if the best QB in the league hasn't signed yet!

He was only voted best in the East, the last season he played in more than 6 games.

Look what happened to Reilly, considered the best QB in the league with Edmonton then signs a big contract in BC and becomes arguably the worst QB in the league.

1 Like

Judging by who is posting, I suspect a wee bit of sarcasm when it comes to Jeremiah?

3 Likes

For sure. No question.
Until Jeremiah gets his opportunity to make a comeback (from injury), I'll continue to be a strong supporter. I think it's unfair, and sad, that he seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of Tiger-Cats.

1 Like

Just to be clear, ottawacat, I was referring to the original poster in my previous post.

1 Like

I do realize that ,Palmer, but I did take a second, or two, to consider just what you were saying when I saw your initial comment.

I’m sure the team has sent him an offer and some negotiations have taken place. But he may be looking at the situations with Ottawa and Toronto and realize there is an opportunity to make more money there and be the true number one guy if one of either Nichols or Arbuckle doesn’t sign. Or he may be able to up his asking price and squeeze a bit more money out of the Ticats by waiting it out.

Thinking Arbuckle will eventually come to terms with RBs. But if Argos feel Masoli might come available, they may believe he has more upside than Nichols at this stage in their careers. Jeremiah certainly has a better arm imo.

2 Likes

My thinking too. The team must be seeing Jeremiah as the backup and has told him as much.

Or they told him there will be a competition for number 1 at training camp with Dane and he may not want to be looking over his shoulder all year wondering if he’ll get pulled after throwing a pic.

He seemed to play better in 2018 when Manziel was shipped out of Hamilton. In Toronto or Ottawa he’d surely be the top guy with no Nichols or Arbuckle there.

2 Likes

I'd doubt that, very much, right now. If the club has told him anything, about what they see, I'd think it's that they'd want a contract with 2 sets of figures based on whether or not he comes out of training camp as the starter.

One thing we know for sure is that other teams like OTT and TOR are not speaking with Masoli or his agent at this time. Because, you know, that would be tampering. Right?

1 Like

They do have a week, officially starting Jan 31st where pending free agents can negotiate with any team. So if Argos or RBs haven’t been in contact with his agent (nudge,nudge, wink, wink) they can go nuts very soon. And suspect they will.

2 Likes

Masoli will be able to earn so much more in Toronto. Have to believe he is looking out for one last big contract and now would be the time.

If Masoli want to play for the Argos (which would ONLY be for the money), go for it!

A character decider for him. Money or success.

I think he'll choose success, but money is a hard draw to pull away from.

1 Like

Tough choice indeed. I hope whatever decision he makes is the right one for him. I always cheer for ex-Ticats (unless they are playing against us). Having to cheer for him (and not the blew team) will be very difficult. I hope he chooses Hamilton and that it is best for him.

1 Like

Apart from his upfront money, he earned next to nothing last year. Hard to blame these guys for leaving if they have a chance to earn a better salary somewhere else ( and possibly a longer term contract). At some point the team will have to decide who their main guy is going to be - Jeremiah had limited options coming off injury last year so the team was fortunate enough and shrewd enough to get Both he and Evans under contract. They may be able to pull it off for one more year but can’t see it beyond that.

1 Like

They both deserve to be starters and there is only one starter per team.

3 Likes

How would he be able to earn more money in Toronto? every team must keep below the salary cap.
Besides they have Matt Nichols and probably gave him a big contract and Bethel-Thompson, they are set at QB

Note: Figures and comments, here, are collected from various media reports.

Nichols' contract calls for $220,000, payable on Feb. 1, of his total possible earnings, this year, of $555,000. He made $420,000 and $455,000 with Winnipeg in '18 and '19. Masoli agreed to a "home town discount" for 2020 after making just shy of $350,000 in 2019, the most lucrative year of his career.

If Toronto can't get Nichols on a re-structured contact, this week, they'll likely release him on Sunday to avoid paying the $220K. Sunday will also be the first day, by free-agency rules, they'll be free to approach Masoli.

1 Like