Is Jesse made of glass?!?... or is it something else.

Throughout my time watching football and understanding the use of steroids in bodybuilding, I just want to raise this issue. Players are bigger now. Training methods are different... BUT there are two constant injuries that seem to have cropped up over the last twenty years that were either rare or non-existant previously. The so-called High ankle sprain, and what was once desribed as a groin pull but is now politically informed as the "sports hernia".
A sports hernia isn't a hernia, it's the tear of the supporting ligaments and tendons around the upper leg. The high ankle sprain is the tear of the ligaments and tendons around the middle of the calf.
Steroids increase the mass of the muscle faster than the increase and strenghtening of tendons and ligaments.
My concern is that this is a symptom of steroid and growth hormone use.
I open this to anyone to discuss, but this is how I see it.

let me get this straight. so you're sayign that Jesse Lumsden is using steroids?

Well, he's made an unsubstantiated claim about the rise in occurrence of certain injuries, and then made an unsubstantiated claim as to their cause.

Then, he made a leap from there and inferred that this series of unsubstantiated statements may in fact be the reason for Lumsden's injuries, which may or may not be the same injuries he described earlier.

With a stretch of logic like that, it's a wonder HIS groin isn't pulled.

The way Jesse runs is what is causing the injuries. What he needs to do is work on those leg muscles a bit more.

What they should do is turn him into a safety.

college ball folks are drug tested now days I would think? May be wrong but I would hope not.

I have wondering for quite a long time if the CFL guys are using steroids. Back when I was a teenager [back in the 50’s] the playing weights of the offensive tackles was around 260 pounds. One of the greatest lineman who ever played for the Als was Tex Coulter. His weight was reported at about 260 pounds. This was considered an appropriate weight for a lineman. When Montreal played Edmonton and, the Als were beaten three years in a row in the Grey Cup matches and, Edmonton reportedly had lighter but faster lineman- this was the time of the split t days and, for a while guys around 230 pounds were playing at tackle.
Now I have noticed that the average lineman is over 300 pounds which is now considered as an appropriate weight. I would think that the players might be more into weight training than they used to be. But, I frankly wonder how these guys achieve these huge weights? I would suspect that steroids are in use!!!

I'm pretty sure nutrition and training has improved enormously in the last 50 years. That probably explains why players are so much bigger.

A far as o-linemen go, most of their weight gain occurs at the buffet. We as a society are bigger due to better nutrition at an early age and numerous growth hormones and steroids in the foods we eat.

I remember 'Granny's Poultry' ran an ad campaign which boasted their chickens contained no steroids or growth hormones. I heard that commercial one time before it and their campaign disappeared from the face of the earth. I suspect a few ad execs at Granny's probably had their necks rung by livestock industry thugs.

There are also substances like creatine that athletes use which decrease muscle recovery time in the gym and allow for more intense workouts.

I'm sure that some of the younger players use steroids to get the edge they want to crack starting lineups, but athletes who are in pro sports for the long haul understand that steroid use is a shortcut that comes back to shorten your life and screw up your bodily functions.

Most athletes that use steroids in the CFL do so therapeutically to speed the healing of physical injuries.

As for Jesse Lumsden, look at how frail his skeleton is compared to his muscle mass--he's ripping his body apart. He's a muscle car with an aluminum chassis.

I have a similar physique and injured myself in sports all the time. I eventually grew to understand that "special means sometimes," and learned to use my explosive power more judiciously.

Over time, I'd like to see Jesse do some skeletal development (increase his bone mass) and put on some padding (fat). He would make a killer TE. The way Jesse is playing now, he will wreck his body for football in less than the 4 year avg.

Juiced.

I think Gentle Jessie's carrer in the CFL will be short-lived.

I confirm and understand that Jesse Lumsden is on steroids. :roll:

If lineman were 300 lbs of muscle I may concur on the steroid use. But all you need to do is look at the guys today compared to the guys who were 250-260 20 years ago and most the big guys today have fat guts compared to the guys back then.

Lumsden's problem is that he runs too high and exposes himself to hits which will be more likely to cause injuries. That is also why he won't make the NFL.

Another reason why he won't make the NFL is that there are 1000 guys stocking shelves in the U.S. that are of similar calibre. Jesse Lumsden is an exceptional athlete. But circumstances that are in his favour have allowed him to pursue his dream. Right time, right place, hard work, talent. But there are a lot of guys who aren't in football in North America who are in that same category who didn't get a shot for one reason or another.

This steriod question will never go away with or without testing...
I remember a few years ago when Jeff Johnson came out of nowhere and looked for a short time like the greatest runningback to ever walk the face of the earth... soon enough he was injured too.... I couldn't help myself from thinking for sure he was on the roids... even the intensity in his eyes was down right scarry.

What a wild and rediculous thread. Some players may indeed be using steroids. However, there is no evidence that Jesse is using steroids. He's a big guy, sure. He always has been. It's his genes, not steroids.

As for his injury...take a look at the film. I don't care who you are - with the angle the lineman crashed down on his ankle as his foot was held planted to the ground with the added stress of him trying to break free....it was ugly. He is so lucky it wasn't much worse. He didn't get injured because he's on steriods. Let's keep the posts realistic, please.

But he seems to get injured more often than one would expect from a man of his size... I'm concerned for him because I love watching him play. I think there's something more there...

I won't comment on Jesse being on steriods.

But there are a couple of other items....artifical turf is hard on players, even the new field turf doesn't have as much give as regular grass. This causes injuries such as sprains, the old astro turf was bad for knee problems.

Health, proper diet and new training method make players bigger, stronger and faster then what they were 20 years ago.

Yes there are atheletes particularily professional or amatuer atheletes looking to turn pro that use steriods, it give them an advantage. Is it common place, likely.

Ricky Williams played here–no worries about drug testing mon! Ethics are for leagues that can afford them–the CFL can’t, so they look the other way.

Personally, I liken athletic performance enhancement to automobile racing. Most of the safety and performance features we have in our cars today originated from the race track. Drivers die every year as a result of auto racing, but no one tells them to stop. What they do benefits modern society.

When biochemists & athletes engage in blood doping, using experimental drugs, growth hormones, & other experimental treatments, they are advancing the human species as well as improving hospital patient care.

A lot of seniors and other injury vicitms have reaped huge benefits because of sports medicine. They have greater mobility and a quality of life they wouldn’t otherwise have.

Faster, higher, stronger; that’s the Olympic ideal, right? We should be celebrating and trying to share our combined knowledge obtained from high performance athletic programs rather than trying to cover it up or hording them indefinitely in the hopes of achieving a longterm competitive advantage.

Rather than disqualifying an athlete on performance enhancing drugs, the athlete’s team should have to provide full disclosure of their methods to determine their therapeutic value. Scientists and athletes should be rewarded for their achievements, not disgraced. As in auto racing, their sacrifices make our lives better, not worse

Right on. Just don't be cuttin' one of these "medical pioneers" off on the 401....