Is it TIME FOR AC TO SIT DOWN?

A bit late
To be coming to the conclusions I
(and apparently "Guru" among some others)
Had arrived at for some time now.

Over the last few seasons, the Alouettes have lost some important pieces:
Larry Taylor, Adrian McPherson, Andrew Hawkins, Avon Cobourne, Brian Chiu, Chad Owens, Keron Williams, Anwar Stewart, Davis Sanchez...the list goes on.
AllStar players, barely replaced by "lesser thans"

The problem may well reside with scouting...to some extent
But Popp needs to shoulder most of the blame for the degradation of talent
Not to mention letting equally talented other players
Pass their "due by date"

Maybe it is some kind of misguided loyalty
As "Guru" suggests
Or simply a GM sitting on past glories
Setting up a "patsy head coach" to fail
So he can ride in...hair flowing in the breeze in the best of heroic traditions
To follow Trestman in the glorious path to the Big Show

Who knows?

But Bruce is another perfect example of Popp's abdication:
Another "past due" guy
Who...in his own inimitable tradition
Ironically calls Hawkins out for not treating him as a professional
While acting like a high school kid himself
Suggesting Hawk attend more seminars

Who wants to bet Bruce was in the forefront
Of the Alouettes rebellion
That's tanked this team?
We all lose

Still...it's edifying that after 3 years of my pointing out
That the Alouettes were idiots for having only 1 receiver body type
Regardless of the reason
That one of the main defenders of this practise
And the lead-footed record-seeker who required it
Has finally seen the light and changed his tune.

In the less than glorious days, months and years ahead
At least I have these small vicarious epiphanies
To warm my tired bones

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I do feel that Calvillo should not be relied upon. His performance has been poor for the most part since mid last year. I believe he is playing "afraid"

That said , to be fair, no player is going to take himself out. That rests with the coaches.

We have no idea if Calvillo wields that kind of power-where he needs to approve of things.

While I'm not a big fan of his I think it is unfair to cast him in such a negative light as Senior does.

Again...what player will ever say..."i'm not good enough now." Doesn't happen until they retire.

McPherson was an "All Star"?!

Sure were. In fact, one the opening play of the game, which quickly put the Als down 7-0 before your “friend” AC could step on the field.
And not long after, 2 more fumbles (not by AC) that put the team in a bigger hole 21-0.
Messam drops a pass he should have had. Green drops a pass he should have had.
Penalty on a FG attempt that makes it 3rd and 1 so Popp pulls Whyte for the O to go for the 1st down. Except the HC and OC are not ready with a play. AC repeatedly asking to the sideline “What’s the play”. Low and behold a T/o has to be called to get the play called.

Oh how about the fact Bowman sacks Carsillo deep in their end. Should have been 2nd down and 20 (give or take) but a 15 yard penalty by Cox negates that one. And the very next play. Edem feeling generous takes a similar penalty and gives the Argos another 15 yards putting them at mid field. End result, another Argos TD.

Not saying AC played well because he did not. Merely pointing out he had some help in the outcome of the game.

“start”?! :roll:

What exactly is "Deep into the Playoffs" a GC win?!

Lookit me, lookit me, I'm always right and everyone else is always wrong !!

Well of course Tony you know, all of the foregoing was actually Calvillo's fault, in Senior's world.

I have always been a great/true fan of Anthony but It may be the time for him to retire; before the season began, I truly thought that he would have a good season/that he still had it. I was wrong. Except the first game of the regular season, Anthony has been outperformed by the other teams QBs in all other 5 games; yes, we can blame the system,but the number 1 blame rests with Anthony. Unless he and/or the team improves in the next four games, he or the team will have to make a difficult decision. He will have to give way to a younger player. Watching last night game, I was saying to myself there is no way that Anthony is at level of Durant and/or Glen. Comparing these 2 teams with the Als, I don't see how we can compete against them. So far this season, I consider Anthony as the second worst QB amongst all teams.

As disciplineandpunish wrote, the scouting of US imports has been awful/atroce during the last 3 to 4 years; while the Als definitely have the highest numbers of employees scouting in the US,they can't find adequate talent. While Jim Popp is the number 1 culprit, I also blame Marc Trestman; while he was here, his number 1 emphasis was the offence; during these years the bulk of funds/dollars have been directed to offensive players,i.e. Anthony, Avon,Jamel,S.J.,Kerry, Scott,Josh,Jeff; there were not too much funds remaining for new import players. While Jim Popp has had good success with CFL drafts,we cannot say the same regarding Import talent,particularly in the past 3 or so years.

On december 16,2013, the Ottawa football team will select Non-import and Import players from other CFL teams; in terms of Imports, each team will be able to protect 10 players; at this time,it is difficult to find 10 good Imports with the Als; won't be difficult to protect 10 and no outstanding imports will be unprotected. Presently, the Import players that I feel will be protected are: S.J. Green,Brandon Whitaker, Michael Ola,John Bowman,Chip Cox,Kyries Hebert and 4 more; could include Brandon London,Billy Parker,Ed Gainey,Ben Wells,Jamaan Webb. This tends to illustrate how bad was the signings of new import talent in the last 3 years or so.

A week from today,the Als will play in Saskatchewan/Regina; I surely hope to be wrong,but I do feel that the Als will be soundly beaten.

Richard

Senior,

I would replace 'small vicarious epiphanies' with 'boundless aspergous delusions'.

Isn't retiring taking yourself out for good? AC's achieved everything a pro QB could want, he clearly is not happy with his performance, I expect he will retire sooner than later.

Good honest post, Richard. I was wrong too. It's unfortunate that we have to be persistently insulted and flamed by a couple of members here for having the guts to admit a mistake, but that's life, I guess. :wink:

I also thought Anthony would have a good season, and that he still had it even if his play had declined a bit. I did not see this sharp drop coming at all.

Except the first game of the regular season, Anthony has been outperformed by the other teams QBs in all other 5 games; yes, we can blame the system,but the number 1 blame rests with Anthony. Unless he and/or the team improves in the next four games, he or the team will have to make a difficult decision. He will have to give way to a younger player. Watching last night game, I was saying to myself there is no way that Anthony is at level of Durant and/or Glen. Comparing these 2 teams with the Als, I don't see how we can compete against them. So far this season, I consider Anthony as the second worst QB amongst all teams.

As disciplineandpunish wrote, the scouting of US imports has been awful/atroce during the last 3 to 4 years; while the Als definitely have the highest numbers of employees scouting in the US,they can't find adequate talent. While Jim Popp is the number 1 culprit, I also blame Marc Trestman; while he was here, his number 1 emphasis was the offence; during these years the bulk of funds/dollars have been directed to offensive players,i.e. Anthony, Avon,Jamel,S.J.,Kerry, Scott,Josh,Jeff; there were not too much funds remaining for new import players. While Jim Popp has had good success with CFL drafts,we cannot say the same regarding Import talent,particularly in the past 3 or so years.

On december 16,2013, the Ottawa football team will select Non-import and Import players from other CFL teams; in terms of Imports, each team will be able to protect 10 players; at this time,it is difficult to find 10 good Imports with the Als; won't be difficult to protect 10 and no outstanding imports will be unprotected. Presently, the Import players that I feel will be protected are: S.J. Green,Brandon Whitaker, Michael Ola,John Bowman,Chip Cox,Kyries Hebert and 4 more; could include Brandon London,Billy Parker,Ed Gainey,Ben Wells,Jamaan Webb. This tends to illustrate how bad was the signings of new import talent in the last 3 years or so.

A week from today,the Als will play in Saskatchewan/Regina; I surely hope to be wrong,but I do feel that the Als will be soundly beaten.

Richard

Agreed on all counts. After losing last night, the Riders are going to be in a foul mood next week and they'll be playing at home. Unless there is some miraculous turnaround, I foresee us getting murdered on the field.

Popp's at fault primarily, but yes, I agree that Trestman should share the blame for our lack of focus on defensive personnel.

I too feel that unless things improve in the next few games, Popp and the org will HAVE to make a change at QB. Anthony, as much as I respect and admire him, has given us no sign this year -- none -- that he is capable of hanging in with the league's top QBs. Completion percentage down, majors down, not a single 300-yard game yet, interceptions, and just generally not reading the field and getting the ball where it needs to be. His play in the Toronto loss is exactly how he's played thus far, regardless of coaching change, which tells me he doesn't have it anymore. I hope to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will. When I watch him now, I see a frustrated QB in serious decline, without the arm strength to go deep credibly and no longer interested in going through his reads to find open receivers. He seems to be more afraid of taking a hit than moving the chains. Someone needs to tell him honestly that he is playing well below his own standards, and what the team needs from the QB position. I hope Popp saw it last game.

What bothers me the most is the continuous blame on AC for the team's struggles. Last time I checked, football was played by 12 players (in the CFL anyway) on the field at any given time. All 12 have a job to do while on the field. Sure the QB (n this case AC) is a pivotal position. And yes AC is making allot of money and has so over the years. True he is the leader on offense and there is no doubt he has struggled this season. But again I fall back to the concept of "Team". Football is not tennis or golf where it is individual play. The O line has to protect the QB and open up holes for the running game. The RB has to hang on to the ball and get yards when given the opportunity. The receivers need to run their patterns, catch the ball and gain yards and if not with the ball, try to block where required. This is just the offense. Of course the D and the ST have their roles in a given game too.
As does the GM in assembling the best talent possible, as does the HC and his support staff in coming up with a game plan and the ability to adjust throughout the game.
All these aspects play a part in the team's success.

Sure go ahead and blame AC for not playing the way he did 5 years ago. And blame him for not telling the HC he is willing to step aside when a game is out of reach to allow one of the backups some quality time. (Here's a novel thought, how about the GM/HC pulling AC aside and saying "look you have done what you could the game is out of reach I want to get one of those guys some reps in and I am asking for your help in guiding them while they are on.")

But take off the blinders (in some posters cases "Rose Colored Glasses" ) and have a look at the "BIG" picture. There is plenty of blame to go around!

Great post, tony. You're right: plenty of blame to go around. The whole canard about Calvillo being some evil QB overlord who won't let his coach or GM pull him is the thing I find the most laughable. Not only does it have zero basis in fact, but it sidesteps the issue: if it's true, why aren't the coaches and GM being held accountable? It's their job to take AC out of a game if he's underperforming. No pro player with any pride is going to pull himself from a game unless injury forces him out...

If an athlete has any competitiveness to oneself, they want to be in there at all times.

As I noted earlier at this point in the season it will be difficult to locate another QB with sufficient experience and, I believe AC can still throw and the team will win a few games as the season winds down. In addition, we should have a look at Neiswander and Tanner Marsh giving them some playing time this year. Of the two, my guess is that Marsh is better based on the report of his previous NCAA coach and, his athletic skills. I've seen enough of Neiswander to doubt his chances of developing into a first rate QB.

A second option would be to initiate a trade with other teams this season to secure a present 2nd string QB from those guys who will likely be secured by Ottawa in the post season draft. There are some promising talent there and the likely prospects are as follows: Toronto will stay with Ray which means that Collarros will be available. Calgary will likely protect one of Kevin Glen, Bo Mitchell, or Drew Tate. This means that two of these guys will be available. SASK will protect Durant leaving Drew Willy available.TiCats will protect Burris leaving LeFevour unprotected. I doubt that there is such material in WPeg or BC. I believe it possible that one of the above QBs, would be available prior to the Ottawa draft. It would be to the advantage of the above mentioned teams to trade with the Als as, they will lose the second string QB anyway, and they could barter a really good Als player in the process.

A third option would be to bring Adrian Mcpherson back ( if he's healthy ) to the team. Adrian knows our system, he was a star in the AFL and, Senior and I believe he is a good candidate for Montreal. He did show great potential talent in the few times he played and, he had a great experience with Tampa Bay of the AFL. Most likely the best option will be to scout the NCAA at all its levels with, extreme effort and, hope for the best.

The AFL is one thing. Much smaller field, fewer players on. Completely different style of game. Why was there no other CFL willing to bring McPherson in before he was injured and "lighting" it up in the AFL? (Bombers, Esks).

Adrian McPherson.
The Man.
The Myth.
The Legend in Senior's mind.

:D

You mean the same Glenn who threw for 200 yards, and needed multiple drive extending major penalties? The same one that had Cornish out to make a statement and completely shredding the Saskatchewan defense every time he touched the ball? (11 yards per carry, that's crazy!)

Glenn was solid and did exactly what Calgary needed him to do: manage the game. He moved the ball, he didn't commit turnovers, and he let his playmakers do their thing. He was not the best player on the field for Calgary by a long shot.

Comparing these 2 teams with the Als, I don't see how we can compete against them. So far this season, I consider Anthony as the second worst QB amongst all teams.
I agree with the first half of this: Montreal as a team can't beat Calgary or Saskatchewan. That's not because Kevin Glenn is the second coming of Warren Moon, however. Calgary is a team loaded with talent and that talent is very well coached. You'll notice that Glenn wasn't asked to start drives constantly backed up and down by huge scores because of poor special teams.

If you think that having Glenn instead of Calvillo would have changed the outcome against the Argos, I don't know what to tell you.

Tridus, that’s not what Richard is saying. He’s simply pointing out that Calvillo’s performance this year hasn’t been good enough. We are all aware of the other problems with Montreal at the moment (personnel, coaching, etc.).

Ah, okay. That's not how I read it, sorry. :slight_smile:

He is here now and he is the starter so siting him now would make an even bigger mess of things.
One thing has happened over the last two games is that Whitaker last week and now Messam this week both looked back to their all star MOC forms. If both can get back and healthy that would be a huge advantage to the Als to be able to run the Ball with that one two punch
Popp is going to have to do something a bit different this season and swallow his pride and look for some better more pro football experienced import receivers. Clowney could be one sitting on the 9 game but Moore nor Carter are not ready yet and that will allow the double teams on Green, London, and Bruce.
Cannot judge on what happened last game for one the early turnovers will put a damper in your game plan and you can see that the Als will be able to run the Ball.
Although maybe last game was not a good example but both the defense and ST are much much improved Thank goodness as Trestman left those Units in Disaray but both new Coordinators have done their JOB.
Also may be time to start looking at a better punter another area neglected by the offensive minded Trestman.
Of course the lack of upgrading the Canadian Receiver spot