Is it always "good coaching" to be nice to the media?

I have read many posts that seemed to imply that a coach’s demeanor and attitude toward the media is important. As I have read the threads here about the issue, it appears that the underlying assumption is that it somehow makes the person a better football coach if they coddle the media meatheads and answer the most inane questions time after time. Austin has been praised as a better coach than the previous few because he’s good with the talking to and entertaining the media. I do not agree with this position and don’t think there is even a correlation between the two issues.

In last night’s game, despite some mistakes and poor defencive play, the Cats had a chance to win the game on the very last play. Just prior to that play, the TSN coverage switched to a camera that was right in Austin’s face as he relayed the play to Hank Burris. I heard the play call as clear as day through to camera mounted mic. Formation, play call, even that there was a “backside? element to the play. If I heard it, you can be sure as s**t the Argos staff watching in the booths and boxes heard it, and they surely had enough time to relay the info down to the Argos’ bench. Surprise surprise, the play went back side and was broken up. Cats lose.

Just before calling that play, Austin should have turned to the camera, put his hand on the lens, and pushed that media goof right out of earshot. Instead, as it appeared to me, the coach cringed at the thought of calling the play in front of the cameraman and instead of barring the camera from what should have been a moment closed to the media, called the play anyway. The surprise element of the play was lost and so was the game.

If the media want respect they should give respect. That camera operator should have not been that close to the coach and QB as the play was being called. He should have respected the coach and team and stepped back. At the very least, TSN should have cut the sound from that camera. But alas, they didn’t and the Cats lost. Austin is very friendly to the media, and the media just shot him in the back.

+1. :thup: Excellent post! I was speechless and flabbergasted that the camera & microphone were so close! Backside Gator! Everyone heard it! TSN should be getting a complaint from the TiCats and the league!!!

The game was what the CFL is all about, but there where errors all over, from Dropped Balls (Gable would have WON the game) to the REFEREEING (BRUTAL) to TSN ( some bad camera angels) the list goes on, I guess you can call this the 3rd PRe season Game :roll:

I don't think it makes someone a better coach (or player or GM) to coddle the media but it does give them a longer leash before the media meatheads start calling for the coach's head on a pike.

I was surprised about the play call being broadcast but I don't think there was enough time for the information to be relayed to the coaches. Even if it was there wouldn't have been time to relay that information to the players on the field IMO.

Just curious but what makes you think the Argos would have known what the play call meant?

I'm sure the Argo's didn't need to be tipped off that the final play of the game would be going to the guy who was destroying their defense all game long. It got broken up, but I'm betting it had zero to do with what is being implied by the OP.

While they may not have known the exact terminology used by by Austin, the tip was the term "back side gator." A clear giveaway that there is a particular backside element to the play. You don't use the term "backside" in the play call unless there is a particular reason to do so. Just knowing that it was in the play call would allow the D to be more aware and more cautious of the back side of the play.

As to your previous post, many coaches in the pros cover their mouths with play charts when talking plays with the QB or coordinator or whomever. There are eyes everywhere looking for any advantage to steal some terminology and get an edge. Your a Winnipeg fan, you should know all about it.

If the DB doesn't have a hold on Fantuz' arm prior to the ball getting to him he has a much greater chance of catching the ball. Hearing the play called by Austin is much less important on that play than the contact.

This is nothing new. Look at this clip from 1986 of the great Al Bruno drawing up a play out of his head while the camera rolls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ19EIx8aiE