Is Goossen Worhty of the 2nd overall pick?

…The leos are definitely in the hunt for an o line guy like Goosen…Would they part with Aluminium (certainly not Bighill) and trade spots in the first round??? …Like what has been said, tread carefully when dealing with Wally B. and don’t get bent over… :wink:

......Goosen is the most worthy pic, according to Bob Wylie who worked him out and must have seen some excellent potential....Cal. took the best overall, we got the second best and a guy who should be in our line-up quickly...I'm going to go with a pretty good o line coaches assessment...We'll see.. :roll:

I think Desjardins got bent over repeatedly today. Give up a potential immediate starter and linchpin for your Oline for the next 5-10 yrs in Lavertu in exchange for a vet with a lot of mileage on his body and nothing else, despite Calgary having a surplus of extra picks? They couldn’t even get Calgary to give them back their original 3rd round pick? Deal looks even worse if Calgary gets anything out of Hage, even if it’s a late rd pick from Hamilton. Then Wally gets Glen out of Ottawa, who he’s been after for a while, at the price of a 1st rd pick he didn’t want since he couldn’t draft the first rd value player he wanted, and didn’t have to give up the roster player Ottawa had been asking for in the deal? I know they’ll spin it that they got a starting veteran lineman and how they are building to win now. I suppose when your starting QB is in his 40’s you don’t have much choice in the matter. Still, seems a bit shortsighted giving up good long term prospects for short term success.

....Have to agree on Desjardins wolverine BUT he wasn't the only one who looked weak in the draft....What the heck was Wally thinking, trading a first round pic for a qb. he could have pursued after the draft and could have attained after Glenns eventual release...lol...The old godfather of the CFL looked bad on that one, and there's a lot of people in B.C. wondering about Buono and his decision, with A LOT of skepticism... :lol: Rumour has it, it was B.C. who made us a crappy offer for our second overall, hoping to draft local guy Goosen... if true,too bad Wally ya crook ...next time present a real deal...there's no suckers in the Peg anymore :stuck_out_tongue: :lol: :lol: As far as the rest of the draft for us, it produced exactly what we thought, with the pics we had and the talent level present.....Who knows if a diamond pops out of the ruff, with some of our latter picks...Time will tell... :roll:

I don't mind the trade BC made for Glenn. He waited out Desjardins till the price came down significantly. With the headache the Glenn fiasco has been for him Desjardins, I think, might've been happy keeping Glenn on a suspended list with him not showing up. But with Glenn's camp suggesting he might indeed show up at training camp all the sudden I think Desjardins kind of reacted to get rid of him. If Buono waited till after the draft, it might've cost him a pick in next years draft and that one should be deeper in quality and quantity, so this deal helps him keep his 2015 picks.

The biggest thing I think the Glenn trade suggests is maybe Lulay may not be ready right away with that shoulder of his and Buono doesn't want to risk starting an unknown in the season and falling behind in the standings while waiting on Lulay.

Buono really wanted one of Goosen or Lavertu evidently and not getting him he traded out of the first round and still got an OL in the 2nd round at the appropriate value as Player wasn't first round worthy. The problem was that in Winnipeg he was dealing with a team that really needed OL as well and in order to talk Walters out of that spot he had to offer a really sweet deal, which he didn't.

While it may seem like I'm butkissin, I'm not really a Wally fan but I don't think he hurt his team with the moves he made today. He didn't clean up like Huffer did, but he didn't hurt his team I don't think.

If you watch Buono’s pre-draft interview it might help you understand his mindset and he’s clearly not senile. Today’s CFL your drafting these guys to a ONE+ONE contract that’s all the draft buys you so if BC projects that Lavertue can not start this year your left with One year of production assuming he progresses quickly, he then gets into weighing the likelihood that the player can be retained. Is he wrong ? Look at Henoc or Picard, Labatte…

Now move over to Ottawa, they get John Gott who’s entering his prime and who has a good relationship with Ottawa’s coaching staff, they may get five to seven years out of Gott compared to two years out of Lavertue where he may not even be on the field. If you look at MOntreal the standard IMO in developing Offensive Linesmen, the average development is two to three years before OL can contribute. Jourdain,Bomben were 3 years. They are hoping Matte contributes this year his 3rd. season and Ottawa already has a bunch of young NI Olinesman. So trading a pick for an All star NI offensive linesman is not a bad deal. Plus its not like Ottawa traded away all their picks, they still grabbed the best rated DB in the draft at #4 and drafted like seven or eight kids.

The whole idea that Glenn would have been available for nothing is ridiculous and you still hang on to the idea. If Glenn was released Winnipeg,Montreal,Edmonton would all have the ability to claim Glenn off waivers before Wally could even get a sniff at him.

CFL News ?@CFL_News 24m

#BCLions wanted to trade 5th & 12th overall picks to #Bombers to pick SFU offensive lineman Matthias Goossen

Clearly not enough. I wouldn’t have made this trade either as there is no certainty there would be a player who could help out the team in one of the most important areas of need.

HFx, I would have to disagree. Just because Ottawa drafted volume doesn’t mean they drafted quality. You talk about the learning curve for OL being 2-3 yrs or so, what is it for a NI DB. Just because they got the top rated DB that was a good pick? How many NI DBs start in their first or second year? Guys like Edem are an anomaly, not the norm. Plus a couple of reaches in the lower rounds when there were better ranked players still on the board. Time will tell but Ottawa along with Edmonton I think had the weakest drafts.

Henoc Muamba, Butler, Edem and Stephen were all productive out of the gate and these guys can contribute on ST as rookies.

The reason Buono wanted Goosen is because he was fairly certain he could retain him passed the first contract. Now does Goosen sign with BC in two years? That’s why the CFL draft is such a crap shoot. Its become a rental with the 1+1.

I don’t think you can rank how a team drafted until years down the road. Hamilton looked like they had a great draft last year with Gaydosh and Urban as of today it looks quite different…

.....Put it simply...Wally didn't get his man, we did...Will Goosen want to leave when this team turns the corner...All conjecture....What I do know is that Goosen likes it here and was very positive about the team and stadium, after Wiley worked him out...I'm sure he'll benefit greatly from the tutelage he'll receive from a very good o line coach...Everyone is happy all the way round except Wally :wink:

Its nice to see the Bombers focus on Offensive line instead of reaching with undersized receivers and defensive backs. I think they drafted 3 OL. You can never go wrong drafting OL.

Stephen was a NCAA player, those are considered more pro ready. To directly compare him to a CIS guy isn’t really accurate IMO.

Edem and Butler were both great finds, no question.

Henoc wasn’t an immediate starter. Labbe was given the starting job and Henoc played ST and was sprinkled in on certain packages to gain experience. Henoc became the starter later in the season. And technically he was a LB, played closer to the line of scrimmage than a DB like Pruenau would.

1 OL picked in Goosen. Quinn Everett was picked in rd 6 and he’s willing to and been learning to play OL. Walters said in the presser last night that they pictured him as a guy who could play either side of the ball, NT and guard. This guy could be a really useful player, if not a starter then as a backup on either side of the lines in case of injury, short yardage on both sides of the ball, special teams.

Speaking of Edem, I’ve read some suggestions that the Rd 2 pick they traded up to get, Jesse Briggs, has some comparables to Edem and could be switched from LB to S. Probably not an immediate starter but in a year or two could turn out to be a value pick.

I like Briggs, was hoping the Als would pick him :thup:

.....Look for this guy in the future..Walters has a good nose for talent and he made the draft move for a reason...He was really surprised that Briggs fell that far...Watch his vid. , the guy moves quickly all over the field and hits like a truck....I really like this selection and he may well be the big sleeper in this years draft... hfxtc, you have obviously seen what we seen... :wink:

Goosen stock did drop with the official rankings but a few days before the draft Duane Ford had him going much higher and more of the equivalent of Lavertu. So that changed a lot of people, including me, minds.

I think its a bonus if a rookie makes a significant contribution in their first year but I don't think teams expect it. What I think they do expect now is that the player will be at camp so they can start teaching him the CFL game and their system.

…There are very few players right out of the draft deemed as CFL ready…Lavertu was considered as being that AND Goossen was close behind…Where he played ,had him playing American style rules, where you don’t give a yard off the ball…He’ll have to adjust to that and he has a good teacher in Wiley ,who is very familiar with both o line structures…Goossen will most likely get to start at centre for us this year, after his induction and ‘tweaking’ by Wiley…I don’t think they’ll rush him but Bomber brass seem to think he’s not far off starting… :wink:

Being they are thin on the Oline Goosen will likely at the least hit the 46 from game 1and depending on how the season goes could find his way into the starting lineup.
With allb the trades and flip flop of picks the Bombers stuck to their script and got the guy they wanted

I wonder exactly how much of an issue the one yard off the ball truly is. Everyone talks about it, but when you look at some of the testing numbers these guys put up nowadays, these guys are faster than ever and quicker getting off on the snap. The one yard amounts to what, fractions of a second before contact is made? Maybe a bit longer if the DL across from you makes a stunt or other move. You would think this is something he's been training at leading up to the draft and combine and even moreso now that he's been drafted heading into camp. If you look over the last number of years, a few of the NI OL that played their college ball in the US have been able to become starters pretty quick. Some of those that didn't were because they came up midseason after the NFL didn't pan out and because they missed CFL camp they had to wait for a spot on the line to open up.

The speed at which the other guys move around you at the pro level I think is more of a factor than the one yard. The quicker he can adapt to game speed the better. I think that's why we had such limited success over Macks era was that he and Moll were bringing in a lot of NCAA D2 and some D3 looking for diamonds in the rough. Meanwhile the other teams were adding D1 level players who are used to playing the game at a higher level.

Simon Fraser really hasn't produced much talent to the CFL. In the last 5 years, only Justin Capicotti and Spencer Watt basically, and no OL. Here's hoping Goosen can buck the trend.

At first I want to say that any physically huge kid who has started and done well in college ball can also do well at the pro level with the right coaching, but look at Pencer. Goosen looked like a turnstile at the combine. Hopefully he gets it together for you guys. It was the right thing taking him with your first pick due to your club's immediate needs, but you never know if even first rounders will work out.

with Goosen and Pencer the Oline is still a work in progress. Pencer was a project as a first round pick and this being his 3rd season should be the year that it begins to pay off. If they can get the right side of the line solidified this season with Pencer at RG and Neufeld at LT that would be a major upgrade from last season.
You don’t see it alot but if there is a team that is looking to solidify there OT positions with an experienced import for the now trading January for a potential or a journeyman canadian who could be expendable could deepen the Bombers Canadian Olineman.
Jarvis Jones came in last year and proved he is a starting CFL OT playing both LT and RT.
Also keeping there eyes on the waiver wire. BC has just helped themselves with a released Canadian Olineman from Hamilton.
Ottawa made the trade fro the now getting an expereinced Canadian Center opposed to a rookie