Is Durant now "Elite"?

Durant-- Burris No. Good yes but not game breakers for sure. With these guys you need the team.

I don't think Area51 is wrong. Look at Kevin Glenn for instance. He has put together a nice career statistically but I wouldn't consider him elite because he is awful in big games. I wouldn't have considered Peyton Manning elite until a few years back when he finally won a Super Bowl because prior to that run he would play awful in the playoffs and be knocked out in the first round.

There are special cases like Kevin Glenn, but that’s not necessarily applicable to everyone who doesn’t have a championship.

what is special about Glenn? I like him, but GC win or not, he never has and never will be close to elite.

I certainly think Championships are a big part in placing that label on someone especially quarterbacks. Though Marino may have had better numbers, Elway was the better qb ar that time because of his championship ring as was Steve Young. Just like now Tom Brady and Eli Manning are both more elite then Peyton Manning because they have more titles. Thats not taking anything away from these players.

I'm wrong that championships are the ultimate goal of any player?

Please enlighten me with what you deem to be mort important than winning a ring. Having fun? Doing your best?

I have no problems if someone wants to say that Elway was better than Marino, but both are elite.

The QB has the ball in his hands on every offensive play of every game. No other position has the ability to control the game like the QB does. There's a reason why the QB is considered the most important position in sports.

I fail to see your point. There's a long list of awful to mediocre quarterbacks who have won Championships, nobody will ever consider those guys elite. It takes A LOT more than a QB to win a championship.

I certainly think Championships are a big part in placing that label on someone especially quarterbacks. Though Marino may have had better numbers, Elway was the better qb ar that time because of his championship ring as was Steve Young.
[/quote]
I have no problems if someone wants to say that Elway was better than Marino, but both are elite.
[/quote]
I disagree. I would consider Marino to be a Franchise Quarterback but certainly not elite without a title.

Have I ever claimed any of those "awful to mediocre" QBs like Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler or Mark Rypien were anything close to elite? No, of course not. They satisfied the first question in determining an elite player, but failed on question #2 and question #3.

What's the most important position in football? Hell, what's the most important position in sports?

I'd put him in the elite category now that he has a championship to add to his previously strong resume.

Good to see at least one person can recognize the importance of a championship.

Marino's numbers are constantly being surpassed by others. In another decade or two what's his "legacy" going to be? Basically what Dan Fouts is today.

Anybody know how many times Marino's thrown for more than 5000yds? Once. Anybody know how many times Marino's thrown for more than 4500yds? Twice. That's it. Guess what other ringless QBs have thrown for more than 4500yds in a season - - Matt Schaub...Rich Gannon...Neil Lomax...Trent Green...Daunte Culpepper...Jay Cutler.

Anybody know how many times Marino's thrown for more than 35TDs in a season? Twice. Guess what other ringless QBs have thrown 35 or more TDs? Matt Stafford...Steve Beuerlein...Daunte Culpepper...Tony Romo.

Marino piled up his individual numbers because he plodded along for 17 years. Slowly but surely all of his individual records will be surpassed by others. If he had a ring, that would be his forever. And that's why players will always say "you can't ever take this away" after they win a championship.

do you understand that the game has changed a lot since marino's day and that throwing for even 4000 yds then was a lot bigger accomplishment than it is now.

Lomax and Gannon were contemporaries of Marino. But if you want to go even back in time, YA Tittle is another Ringless QB who passed for 35 or more TDs in a season.

Interesting that although "the game has changed a lot" championships are still championships and you've still got to go through all comers to get a ring.

I may be in agreement with you that MArino may not have been “Elite” because he didn’t win a championship, but when you say that Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson were not eleite because they didn’t either you have lost me. There are many factors that go into being “elite,” not just those three questions that you pose. I guess you don’t think Adrian Peterson is elite either.

I guess Milt Stegall isn't "elite" because it's somehow his fault that they had to play a Grey Cup with Ryan Dimwidde at QB. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or those lousy years Ricky Ray had in Edmonton right before being traded, where he magically rediscovered his "elite" form upon arriving in Toronto. The vastly better supporting cast is a totally unrelated coincidence. :roll:

This argument is stupid. No one guy can win a championship in football. It's very much a team game. Shouldn't Durant have already won one? Last time I checked, it's not the QB's job to make sure only 12 players are on the field on special teams. I mean, lets follow that logic:

1. Durant has to win a ring to be "elite".
  2. Durant lost a ring in 2007 because of a screwup by someone else while he wasn't on the field.

Therefore: Durant isn't elite because of a screwup by someone else while he wasn't on the field. Seems totally legit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm, inductive or deductive logic? :slight_smile:

Nope.

Durants performances in those Cup runs are a major reason why he is in the conversation as an elite qb. Had he won in 2009 he wouldn't have been considered elite yet as he hadn't played long enough to consistently show he can play at an elite level. Now he has and now he has a ring on three or four years of tremendous playoff appearances.