Is broomball still a thing?

I never hear of this awesome sport anymore.

2 Likes

Or ringette for that matter.

not sure about broom-balling but those brooms fly well

1 Like

Played that once or twice during grade school and maybe (high school).

Is it a wonder why Canada lags behind in school sports compared to the US at times.

Maybe Canada can be the best in Square Dancing someday :joy:

1 Like

Never played as I can't skate.

i’m a very good skater but i never played ringette. i remember it and some of my friends played.

1 Like

Pretty sure ringette was more of a girls thing.
I guess hockey was more appealing in the end.

2 Likes

Girl I work with plays ringette with a local team.

1 Like

ringette on ice?

pretty sure that was what we played in gym

edit: learn something new today

Ringette BC - A New Level of Sport

ringette is played on both ice and floor, just like hockey. has weird rules about player movement on the playing surface; i think forwards cannot go inside their own blue lines and defence cannot cross opposition blue line. thus it is always 3 on 2 in the attacking zones.

1 Like

bet there is not field ringette :slight_smile:

i vaguely remember some older kids playing broom ball on the frozen river when i was a young witchling. they had special shoes for it, these weird high tops.

1 Like

I had a pair of broomball shoes. They have thick spongy soles. I found them at the Sally Anne back in my punk rock days.

these were like the weird shoes i remember broom ball players wearing

2 Likes

Hey! My shoes!

1 Like

lol love the weird rubber padding on the sides. those were platforms soles!

1 Like

I was the only guy in high school with them. Perfectly weird
looking for a punk kid.
Super comfortable too.

1 Like

I’m not sure it ever was, I know there used to be a few teams around regina when I was younger, but I don’t see any of it nowadays. Broom all runners were really good for traction on ice though. If I’m not mistaken, some football players even used them for winter conditions in some late fall cfl games.

2 Likes

I heard that too.

We used to play broomball in gym class, and there were leagues in Montreal back in the 70’s.

how about crab soccer?