Is Braley Good or Bad for the CFL?

Being from BC I'm torn between being thankful to David Braley for saving the lions during the late 90's and really being annoyed at the way he can't seem to stop obstucting whoever is the Commish. Bottom line,is David Braley good or bad for the league?

bad…he should sell the team to someone else.

What was he like as an owner in Hamilton?

Braley spent about $10 million keeping the Ti-Cats afloat, then spent another $10 million to prop up the Lions over he past eight years.

I guess if you want the Canadian Football League to exist, he is good. If you hate football, then he's bad...

....and if u dont agree with the war in iraq, your anti-american :roll:

It's the old "half full half empty" debate.
Sure, he loves the CFL and by all accounts has poured in alot of his money in saving the BC lions and previously his hometown Cats.
However, sometimes people do outlive their usefulness and unless they are willing to change with the times, it becomes befitting of a dinosaur.
It has become clear the last few years how Mr. Braley time has come and the need to depart with grace. Wasn't there some scuttlebutt the last several months about his willingness to sell the team?

The way I heard it, Dave Braley was responsible for getting Bob Young to come on board but Tom Wright seems to get the credit. Maybe thats one of reasons why Braley is irritated with Wright.

Exactly drummergod, invader's comment does not make sense. Braley may love football, and actually be good for his team, but be bad for the league.

It's the old "half full half empty" debate. Sure, he loves the CFL and by all accounts has poured in alot of his money in saving the BC lions and previously his hometown Cats. However, sometimes people do outlive their usefulness and unless they are willing to change with the times, it becomes befitting of a dinosaur. It has become clear the last few years how Mr. Braley time has come and the need to depart with grace. Wasn't there some scuttlebutt the last several months about his willingness to sell the team?
I agree with the comments of argotom, where I feel Braley is good for his team, but where he has outlived his usefulness and become bad for the league. He's at a point he creates more problems than he solves, and while he keeps the BC lions alive and kicking, he does too many other negatives outside of the Lions. He is intefering in the league too much and is having a negative influence on other weaker members, owners of the league who choose to follow him. If he can be a silent partner, then by all means let him stay. However, if he continues to create unrest and problems for the league, creating a divide, he really should go. So far, he does not seem willing or capable of change.

If he sticks to running his team, expressing his opinions at BOG meetings or to commish, I'd have no problem. But his biggest problem is that he wants things his own way all the time. If he doesn't get it, then he makes life difficult for commish. And this dates back longer than since Wright has been commish.

…i say Braley sells the leos to the Gliebermans…sorry sporty couldn’t resist… :lol:

He is a strong owner and has some ideas that could be bad for the league. There are 8 BOG's so why the worry! The guy has put many butts in the seats out in Vancouver.

bobby ackles put butts in the seats…which makes braley look smarter than he is.

True but money over see's everything Eckles does! Without an owner you have no team in Vancouver.

the problem is he can't seem to stick to doing his job. he's got to be out there causing problems. if he did his job, and voiced opinions or concerns to the commish and the rest of the board of governors at meetings instead of behind their back, no one would be having this discussion. he's created problems for many a cfl commish and it won't end with Wright. i also think he's a bad influence on other bog's. because of this the negatives far outweigh the plusses.

if the league can do something to fine him whenever he starts turning on the commish (which ever commish it happens to be) and running behind his back to the bog's then maybe the league can still work with him.

it's not just a matter of him being strong. he's destructive. perhaps many of the reasons the issues with the league aren't getting resolved could be because of him. he keeps the league divided and dysfunctional rather than united and working together toward a common good.

As a Lions fan I say he's great and who cares what you easterners THINK , pi$$-off , you got no say in the matter . You like to run the country like we don't even exist out here and now you'd like to tell us who not to have for an owner too . Well , out here your opinions are totallly irelevant. BTW , I don't care what think , did I tell you that??

Yes I did notice it was a Vancouver guy who started this , but still the attitude coming out of some is pretty arrogant. Why should we have guys from Ontario telling us what to do as usual?

David Braley: a great westerner

Right pennw?

I didn't say he was a westerner , but he is OUR owner . The only ones who should be saying about who owns BC is BC fans. Ontario fans can just stick it .

And I can just see a 7 team league doing even better than an already small 8 team league . And if it becomes a 7 team league how long before it becomes a 6 team league? Would you Argo fans be happy with that?

He's probably one of those self made types who is accustomed to rolling up his sleeves and getting in to the nitty gritty to make a business work. And he probably sees the commissioner's position as a check on his ability to be a problem solver or a leader, and as a successful businessman, the thought of subordinating himself to someone else probably drives him crazy. I'm just speculating here - I have no evidence to support my theory.