Is Beveridge Ready?

Hoping that’s what the release of Glavic means. I think Glavic was brought in when Beswick got injured, then Beveridge got hurt, just about the time Beswick was ready to return, so Glavic was kept on.

We also signed Morencie. Perhaps Glavic simply wasn’t as good as expected?

The way things were done here I wouldn’t be shocked if Glavic knew he was only there to fill an injury void and would be gone when guys were healthy again.

The team also has better talent all round this year.

Hopefully Beverage is ready to go Sunday...ready to lead special teams. Barker looks to be the better player at starting safety.

Got to agree with Ockham. But I think Sandy might be a little faster afoot. Barker seems to be in the right spot more that Sandy though. And that pick last game was a thing of beauty.

Barker has better speed but Beveridge has better quickness and a better eye for coverage.

Speed and quickness are different things. Speed means speed but quickness means how fast you get to the ball once a play has been made by the O. Dick Butkus for example would take all day to run the whole field but could move 15-20 yards faster than anyone in that era.

Quickness will usually get you more big plays than speed. Barker is doing well and has great speed but really needs to work on his quickness.

I'd like to see more of Barker at safety.

x2

In answer to the base question "Is Beveridge ready", the answer is "probably".

"So What"?

Do you start him over Barker, who Captained the D Backfield so successfully over the Riders in a very critical game?

I'd say "No". (And I really do like Sandy)

Don't "tamper with success".

Happily, for all of you, I am not Defensive Coordinator, and can have my "idiot opinion" to myself, with zero responsibility for those opinions...

But Barker is a real "find" in the Draft, and he really does "hit" a ton...if we can't have "Hitch", he's the next best thing. DW met him in the hospital, after his injury last year, and is of an opinion that he is an outstanding young man.

I’d like to see him healthy, dressed and playing, whenever and wherever Brad Miller, Greg Marshall and Marcel Bellefeuille believe his ability and experience will best help the team in WPG and the playoffs. My ability and experience in judging who should start wouldn’t equal 1% of theirs. If Beveridge is healthy enough to dress whether as a starter, as back up and/or playing ST’s the team will be stronger with him there.

An update on him in the Thursday morning paper – he’ll start practising again today.

And, I meant to include with the above report on Beveridge:

Glavic has been added to the Practice Roster.

My Beveridge is ready.....I hope it is still in the fridge come game time :wink:

With his words, copied from the Friday Spec below, it sounds like Coach Marshall may be feeling the way many on this forum do -- that Barker is better:

Things continued to improve on the injury front for the Ticats as safety Sandy Beveridge returned to practice yesterday.

Defensive co-ordinator Greg Marshall said he isn't sure whether Beveridge or second-year man Dylan Barker will get the start.

"Our plan is to get both guys ready and go with the guy that gives us the best chance to make plays," Marshall said. "I don't like to see a guy lose his job because of injury but we have to see if Sandy can function and do the things he needs to do."

Where in that quote does he say Barker is better? Sounds to me like he thinks Beveridge might not be 100%.

"Our plan is to get both guys ready and go with the guy that gives us the best chance to make plays," Marshall said.

“I don’t like to see a guy lose his job because of injury but we have to
see if Sandy can function and do the things he needs to do.”

No disrespect intended, ottawacat, but this statement means that

Greg Marshall feels that if Sandy Beveridge can function at 100%
he is the guy who gives the Ticats the best chance to make plays.

I do admit he muddied the waters by the ‘I don’t like to see
a guy lose his job because of injury’ part of his comment.

That’s the part of Coach Marshall’s comments that led me to write what I did, including my use of the word “MAY,” which some may have missed.