Invest in HAMILTON and the New Stadium !

http://www.investinhamilton.ca/downtownbias.asp

Contact Information: Donations

Ron Marini, MCIP RPP
Director of Downtown and Community Renewal Division
Planning & Economic Development Department
77 James Street North, Suite 250
Hamilton, Ontario L8R 2K3
Phone: (905) 546-2424 ext. 2721
Fax: (905) 546-2693
E-mail: http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/Bus ... dIndustry/

I'm going to invest/donate $1000.00 because i can.
I pledge all Hamilton Tiger-Cat fan who care about Hamilton to invest/donate what they can.
Bob Young would appreciate your support.

THIS IS OUR TOWN !

LETS GET THIS DONE !

Till I know how Much Cash the Ticats are putting up and how Much Tickets are going to go up
I won't give 1 dollar why so my 300 Dollar Tickets becomes 600.00 No Thanks

Buy seasons tickets as many people as possible, this would be great and send a message to city hall the Cats have lots of fans even though the team hasn't had much success on the field lately. Of course, if you can't make games, any donation to the new stadium would be welcomed for sure, or if no games then to fix up IWS.

If everyone was like you, there would not be football in Hamilton, very Sad.

Several years ago the Cats sold seat name plates for seasons ticket holders. This could be another way of offering assistance to the cost of the stadium. I realize this will not bring in millons - however, every bit will help.

Every little bit does help, no matter how small. It shows support.
Lets step up HAMILTON.
Lets show the CFL and CANADA that we are a first class city and we can do this !!

Why cause I am Truthful... a new Stadium means Higher Prices on Beer Food Souvenirs and tickets
why would want that .. 300 Dollars is fair Price for My Ticket But all know The Price will go up with new Stadium ... I just want Wait till see what cost is before I give any money to Bring a Stadium here.

I am still hoping we don't get the Games and they Fix IWS.

Even if they fix iws your tickets will go up, i would rather have a new stadium now where it will be cheaper than after a fixed up iws will have to be replaced

Before we start giving money hoping that the Cats will get a usable stadium, do we even know if this stadium will be viable for the CFL. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anyone know if this is going to be the 15 000 seater that's been proposed? Others have said that it will basically be a set of bleachers for that price. Any truth to this? Has anyone proposed a design, an artist mock-up? Anything?

I'm sure the plans are on the way, right now Hamilton is a disgrace and embarrasement, a CFL city with the Canadian HofF without a stadium to host the Grey Cup, that is just pure sad all the way and a hockey arena right now that isn't good for anything. What a friggin joke.

Does this city know what it's doing? Thank god for Bob Young to set some direction at least with the Ticats and CFL or else this city may as well be Ingersoll or Simcoe (no offense to these cities BTW).

Why cause I am Truthful... a new Stadium means Higher Prices on Beer Food Souvenirs and tickets
why would want that .. 300 Dollars is fair Price for My Ticket But all know The Price will go up with new Stadium ... I just want Wait till see what cost is before I give any money to Bring a Stadium here.

I am still hoping we don't get the Games and they Fix IWS.
[/quote]
Even if they fix iws your tickets will go up, i would rather have a new stadium now where it will be cheaper than after a fixed up iws will have to be replaced
[/quote]
Yes but Price will be more Gradual if they say at IWS

Most diehard TiCat fans,what around 13,000-17,000, want IWS fixed up I would guess and will continue to go to games whereever like myself, while the rest of the so,so TiCat fans that could ensure the Cats sell-out a 28,000 seater night after night want a new stadium but more important a new stadium in a better part of town.

IVOR WYNNE STADIUM
Address:
75 Balsam Ave.
North Hamilton,
ON L8L-8C1

Capacity: 29,600

The Civic Stadium was first opened in 1930. The stadium was originally built to host the British Empire Games which was Canada's first major international athletic event held in August of 1930. The Stadium held approximately two thousand seats when it was first built and was managed by the Culture and Recreation Board.

In 1950, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats became the permanent tenants of the Civic Stadium. However, the professional CFL team discovered there were many inadequacies with the stadium which included insufficient availability of seats for the games. Therefore, the City of Hamilton approved Ivor Wynne's proposal to install additional spectator bleachers on the north side of the Stadium. Construction of this project was completed in 1959 and approximately 15,000 new seats were added, radically increasing the stadium's capacity. Other renovations included the installation of washroom facilities which were desperately needed.

In 1970, the Civic Stadium was renamed Ivor Wynne Stadium in honor of Ivor Wynne. The name change commemorated all of his accomplishments which had improved McMaster and the City of Hamilton. Some of his more notable deeds were the development of a Physical Education course and a Physical Education complex at McMaster University. Unfortunately, it was in the same year that the newly named Ivor Wynne Stadium was beginning to show its age.

Ivor Wynne Stadium was beginning to be an embarrassment for the league. The disrepair of the stadium was seen by American television audiences, and resulted in poor morale and suggestions that the Canadian Football League (CFL) was a “bush? or minor league. As a result, American television stations covering Canadian Football games refused to air games played in Hamilton. The stations felt broadcasting Hamilton games sent a message to American audiences that the Canadian Football League was not a professional athletic organization. Even the classic match-ups between the Toronto Argo's and the Hamilton Tiger Cats were not broadcast until renovations to the stadium were completed. Visiting teams issued criticisms about the stadium. They complained that there was not enough room to conduct half-time discussions, nor were there enough showers. The visiting teams also complained that there was no place to conduct media interviews. The complaints from the American media and visiting teams were acknowledged by the CFL, which prompted the city to discuss ways of improving the stadium.

The city allocated $2,000,000 to renovate the stadium. The renovations included the addition of permanent bleachers on the north side of the stadium which resulted in a total of 30,000 spectator seats, making it the largest capacity stadium in the league. The bleachers on the south side of the stadium were also repaired. New concession stands were added in anticipation of higher demand, due to the increase in capacity. Moreover, the visiting team's change room, located on the east side of the stadium was also renovated. The walls under the east side bleachers were removed to add a new room for the opposing team to conduct their half-time meetings and media interviews. Artificial turf was new to Canada and Ivor Wynne Stadium was the first stadium in Canada to install it as its playing field. The grand total for the turf upgrade was $400,000. After the renovations, Ivor Wynne Stadium was considered one of the best stadium in the league.

There were two main factors that fueled the renovations to the Stadium. The first was to end the negative comments regarding the stadium, and the second was to host the Grey Cup in 1972. The city's bid to hold the Grey Cup was approved by the CFL and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats eventually won the Grey Cup in 1972.

In 1976, more renovations were scheduled. The City of Hamilton installed a new team manager's office, which cost $84,000. Four years later, the stadium required more renovations. The artificial turf was deteriorating and posed serious hazard for the safety of players on the field. The stands were not completely waterproof which resulted in $400,000 in repairs. The city began to install new artificial turf called PAT Turf, which cost the city three hundred thousand dollars, half the cost it would taken to replace the artificial turf. A new scoreboard was also purchased by the city. The new scoreboard had a colour display, but could not broadcast instant replays.

The stadium's concession stands were rented out by the city to Harold Ballard in 1983. Ballard, an owner of Maple Leaf Gardens and the Tiger Cats had heated discussions with the City of Hamilton over the profits made through the stadium's concessions. He maintained the profits belonged to him and not to the City. After many threats to take the franchise to a different city, Hamilton Mayor Bob Morrow relented and allowed Ballard to keep the profits from both the beer and concession stands.

Ivor Wynne Stadium had another scoreboard installed in 1983. Mr. Ballard decided on a scoreboard that was 72 feet across and 28 feet deep. The board had 4000 light-bulbs for a colour display which was able to display animations, line drawing of players, and personal statistics. However, once again, the scoreboard could not display instant replays of the game.

Other renovations which were conducted in 1983 included, a new drainage system that cost $100,000, new sewer connections that cost $125,000, new water sealing and coating that cost $350,000, new stairway repairs that cost $50,000, and the relocating of the scoreboard that cost $10,000. Eight years would pass with no major renovations. In 1991, the City of Hamilton replaced the deteriorating artificial turf.

The new Astro Turf that was installed in the stadium cost the city approximately 1,400,000. The turf surface was gigantic measuring in at 106,350 square feet. A year later, the city painted the stadium stands in different colours in order to represent the official colours of the teams in the Canadian Football League. The only exception to the painting scheme was the north part of Ivor Wynne stadium, the painters painted the Canadian Flag to commemorate Canada's 125th birthday.

Hamilton would later have the opportunity to host the Grey Cup again but it would not be until 1996. In anticipation of the Grey Cup, the City of Hamilton made further changes to the stadium. They added a new sound system, and temporary bleachers to boost the capacity of the stadium from 30,000 to approximately 40,000 seats. The city also installed new sky boxes just in time for the Grey Cup. These corporate boxes were installed on the ends of the existing corporate box. A total of fourteen sky boxes were installed in the stadium costing $1,200,000.

Ivor Wynne Stadium is the site of the largest outdoor videoboard in country. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Dofasco Steel Company have teamed up to have the fifth largest outodor board in North America, appropriately named the Dofasco TigerVision.

Ivor Wynne Stadium has undergone many changes over the years, but the stadium has remained true to the original vision of an outdoor stadium. In fact, it is one of the few stadiums of its kind in North America and is a significant historical and cultural landmark of Hamilton-Wentworth.

References:
Ivor Wynne Stadium Scrapbooks: vol. 1 - 5. Special Collections, HPL. Clipping File. Hamilton - Stadium - Ivor Wynne Stadium. Special Collections, HPL. Clipping File. Hamilton - Biography - Ivor Wynne.

Good read tc. Interesting with the bolded part, didn't realize this but makes sense. A shame for the city.

This is still early days. The games are six years away, the decision on the winning bid is still 9 months away. It's only in the last few months that the preferred cities for the venues and the level of government funding were determined. It was only this past week that Hamilton Council voted to fund anything at all.

Hamilton went through this a few years ago with the Commonwealth bid so we've seen sketches of what a stadium in that area might look like. As well, Setting Sail and some of the other groups set up to spitball what direction the city should take with it's waterfront development have included sketches of what a stadium would look like in that area.

Until you know what you're building, for who, and with what money, plans aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

What we do know (but only learned recently) is that the Pan Ams require and will contribute to a stadium with a seating capacity of 15,000. In response to that news, Bob Young two weeks ago indicated that the Cats and a group of private investors will pony up to expand that 15,000 seating capacity to 27,000- 30,000. With that news in hand, the powers that be can being the work of figuring out what a stadium with that budget, and that can be expanded in that way, will look like.

The earlier we start supporting the new stadium the better off we will be. Even if we dont get the Pan Am Games the Federal Government has allocated funds in the past budget for facilities, sport, and recreation.
This is the time to get started. We have to be proactive and not reactive. This is the reason the City of Hamilton has fallen behind other cities. The thinking has to change for this city to be vibrant again. The time is Now !

I was at a sports meeting tonight and someone with inside info was told that even if the new stadium is approved, Ivor Wynne will need atleast 1.5 million spent in up grades to make it safe and usable till the new one is built. And if the team has to move to another venue till the new one is finished so their fans are safe, they will. Did they ever find out why the huge light fell and if the other ones are safe?

Do any pictures of the fallen lights exist? Also, are they the lights that are used to light up the field?

The light standard was on Chch tv a few days ago I dont Know if newspapers ran the picture or not .Hope that helps.Looked like the supporting pole snapped at its base oand the top heavy lights came down just off to the side of the end zone bleachers