Interview with the humble and great Ben Cahoon

Alouettes: I thought it would last two or three years."
Ben Cahoon
Sports - Football
Written in French by Bernard Cyr
Monday, 08 June 2009 21:08
Last updated Monday, 08 June 2009 22:36

Link:

[url=http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/football/6537-alouettes-cahoon]http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/foot ... tes-cahoon[/url]
SAINT-JEAN-SUR-RICHELIEU - "To think I thought it would last two or three years." The interview is barely over when Ben Cahoon lets loose thatsentence like a ton of bricks.

"You were thinking about trying your luck in the NFL?" I asked him to be sure I understood.

"No, no," he says. I thought my career would not last more than two or three years. "

From Ben Cahoon, it surprised me a bit. He began Sunday's 12th training camp with the Alouettes and when his career is over, he will certainly be considered one of the best pass receivers in the history of the Canadian Football League.

His 861 picked passes are a record for a Canadian player and he is the best pass receiver in the history of the Alouettes with 61 touchdown receptions and eight seasons of more than 1,000 yards.

And it certainly does not appear to be a player in decline. At 36 years last season, he experienced one of the best campaigns of his career with 107 picked passes, 1226 yards and seven hit.

Nearing retirement

However, he said he has been considering retirement in recent years "because I do not want to play the hero and find myself crip pled at the end of my career," he says. I want to be there and have a good time with my family, I want to be able to play a round of golf... "

So why play a 12th season with the Alouettes? "Because the way last season ended, I was not too beat up physically, because I like to play for our coach Marc Trestman and I have not decided what I want to do when I grow up! "

At 5 feet 9 inches, Ben Cahoon will never be considered tall, but he always played like he's a 6 feet 3 receiver, getting right up after taking hit after monster hit. Eventually, however, all these blows take their tole on an athlete, "he says.

"The physical aspect of training camp is also difficult, if not more so than in the past, but the fact that the game system was installed last year requires less mental effort this year. This is certainly the most complex playbook I've had to assimilate. It is very complex and the terminology is very different. "

Embarrassing defeat

Cahoon also said he returned because he was embarased by the Grey Cup loss.

"We will never have another chance to win in front of our supporters," he said, alluding to the fact that his career - and those of some of his teammates - complete. And we failed them. "

But to hear the supporters cheering when Jacques Moreau said Ben "Cahoooooon" the microphone, Sunday, few of them hold him responsible for this setback.

Three new players

There were three new players on the field when the Alouettes started day 2 of training camp Monday.

Canadian receiver Keith Godding, a former Bishop's Gaiters, and two American players, receiver Dorrell Jalloh and defensive end Johnny Jackson.

Jackson and Josh Thompson, a victim of muscular elongation to his left thigh during training on Monday morning, and the linebacker John Mohring - whose name was on list of suspended players - will be inactive during the next few days because of injuries.

Then, at the second practice, defensive tackle Jerome Haywood suffered a neck injury and running back Chris Jennings sustained a leg injury.

Also American linebacker John Abbate was released by the team due to injury which prevented him from taking part in camp