interesting wiki

[url=http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neutral_site_Canadian_Football_League_games]http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... ague_games[/url]

I guess first off, I didn't realize the extent of the games played in US back in the 60s... I had heard of the regular season game in Philly, but did not know that the exhibition game in Portland in the 90s was not the first game in Portland.
The other interesting thing is that not a single American team from the 90s ever had a neutral site game... Obviously this is one of many reasons the experiment flopped so dramaticly.
Final poin . 10 cities with out cfl teams in both countries.. Perfect parity..lol

I never knew about some of those earlier 1900's game down south either. Some were real low scoring events which wouldn't sell the CFL game very well. I remember the Doug Flutie led Calgary against the Argos game in Portland. Larry Smith was trying to get Paul Allen to buy into the CFL in Portland, however he purchased the Seattle Seahawks instead. Shows how smart he is.

• Baltimore played Birmingham in a CFL neutral-site exhibition game at the Orange Bowl in Miami, June, 1995.

• Kingston and Sarnia have both hosted the Grey Cup game but perhaps that doesn't qualify as a neutral site?

• I wonder why Calgary and Sask played an exhibition game in Vancouver in 1965 (and Hamilton playing Ottawa in Montreal at the Autostade in 1966)?

So much for Saskatoon as an expansion site, averaging only 3,500 fans hosting four Rider exhibition games vs. Wpg. Portland and Seattle (28,000) might be better bets.

I wouldn't call the Guelph season a neutral site, since it was very clear it was the Ti-Cats home field advantage every game.

IIRC, the '66 playoff game at the Autostade had to be played there because Ottawa's Lansdowne Park was undergoing renovations at the time. I seem to recall reading that in Eddie McCabe's book about Russ Jackson.

There's a writer, John Wirtanen, from Vancouver Island who's written a bunch of book on the B.C. Lions filled with thousands of interesting facts (and I highly recommend them if you're a CFL fan. Two of the books are just on collectables!). In "Thrown To The Lions: The B.C. Lions in Empire Stadium, 1954-1982) he includes some details and context around that exhibition game.

"On July 15th, the reigning Grey Cup Champion BC Lions try something new at Empire Stadium: a tripleheader - three 30 minute exhibition games involving BC, Calgary, and Saskatchewan. In Game 1, the Lions defeat Saskatchewan, 17-14. In Game II, Calgary overcome Saskatchewan, 24-7. In Game III, the Lions fall to Calgary, 7-5. It is during the game against Calgary that Don Luzzi puts an end to Tom Larscheid's comeback attempt. Larscheid, saddled with knee problems, faces the obvious and calls it a day. Among those considered to take his spot are Dewey Lincoln, Amos Bullocks, Lou Holland, and Bob Apps, son of hockey HOFer Sly Apps. (After football, Larscheid moves to the broadcast booth and earns a spot in the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame as a reporter)." - John Wirtanen

Thanks for the response, r-w-o. I'd never heard of this before but a triple-header might be a good way to attract fans to exhibition games!.