Interesting signing by the Bombers

Signed Liberian track speed demon Abraham Morlu as a WR. Interesting project... if it works.

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2008/03/19/blue-bombers.html?ref=rss]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story ... ml?ref=rss[/url]

Hasn't there been a number of Olympic sprinters signed over the years, in fact didn't a CFL team sign Ben Johnson?
Great speed doesn't translate into good hands, usually suitcase hands.

Yeah that team was Ours :frowning:

John Carlos in Montreal and Tommy Smith in Hamilton.

For the opposite result, see Bob Hayes in Dallas.

That's why I called it a "project".

If you read the article, he has football experience.

John Carlos in Montreal and Tommy Smith in Hamilton.

For the opposite result, see Bob Hayes in Dallas.

Lots of controversy over these signings because these two were involved in the black power silent protest salute at the '68 games. Smith turned out to be a pretty good player for us once he learned to catch the ball. I seem to remember some thrilling catches that he made.

I can't remember if Carlos did much for Montreal but I certainly would not downplay what Smith did as a receiver here.

Carlos didn't do much. I recall the Als trying to hit him deep but it never seemed to work; they also used him on a few hitch screens, but he didn't have the moves to make the first guy miss so that he could then use his speed.

actually ben johnson was brought in for a workout by the argonauts. they tried him as a kick returner. they had an 'iron-mike' kicking machine loft 100 kickoffs at him, and he missed all 100. this was told to me by someone who was there that day.

needless to say, he wasn't signed.

That's strange because Harold Ballard put Johnson
on the cats negotiation list before he had finished
his running.

8) What are you talking about anyway ???? Tommy Smith never ever played for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats !!!!! :roll:

Golly gee willikers, you're right. When I was 14 I thought that was the case and I've kept it in my brain since then. Who WAS the sprinter who played defensive back & wide receiver for us in the early 70's?

The olympian (smith) went on to play for the Bengals, for a while. But you better go check on that!!!

i don’t know the exact time you’re talking about — “before he had finished his running,” but what i am referencing was the time in between his two suspensions, and in the aftermath of the dubin inquiry. besides, negotiation lists are always very fluid.

8) Ok Mark, I think you are referring to Lewis Porter now. He came to the TiCats as a wide receiver and an excellent sprinter !! The Cats converted him over to a cornerback, and despite a rocky start at that position, he turned out to be one of the best CB's we ever had. He eventually became an All-Canadian at that position !!!!!

Willie Gault for the Bears was another sprinter who successfully converted to football and made an impact. On the flipside, Renaldo Nehemiah of the Niners and Jimmy Hines (named Oops, appropriately) couldn't catch a cold. LMAO

The key is that. Catching the ball activates the advantages of having a nitrous oxide switch between one's hips for a receiver. Earl Winfield and Steve Stapler are two famous examples of Ticat blazers whose prowess at snagging the ball made their speed a nightmare for defences to cope with.

Jerry Rice in his prime: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH TOUCHDOWN! LOL Rice had unbelievable speed, but there were faster guys in the league. The key to his success was his football quickness -- change of direction and acceleration -- that allowed him to break double teams in key situations.

Most guys who are successful wideouts that can motor have long speed: they can beat you downfield to the Cadillac where Golden Arm will heave it! Randy Moss is the prototypical blur-to-the-jumpball type guy in the game today. He's the best in the game today at that particular m.o.

However, it's the guys like Hayes and Rice who developed as receivers in their route-running that become legends more often than not. Rice may have trademarked the slant route as a West Coast receiver under Bill Walsh ... yet he was one of greatest route runners I've ever seen, Steve Largent being the best in my books. Ultimately it is the transition to football timing from sheer sprinting rhythm that can transform a speedster from a decoy to a difference maker. Earl Winfield went from being a raw talent to a hell of a receiver because he worked on this phase of the game.

If a sprinter has the frame to develop as a football player and shows any hands at all, you give him a looksee at least. Speed kills kills all other football cliches because it's the most blantanly accurate cliche on a football field for the skill positions.

Route-running ability is an acquired talent at the pro level. Speed is something one hones, but ultimately it's something one wakes up with or one doesn't. Most importantly: if you can't catch the bleeping ball, you are a DB at best or more often that not, you might end up running sprints against horses in the 100 metres at county fairs like Ben did.

Oski Wee Wee,

Another outstanding Olympic athlete who came to the CFL was Milt Campbell. While not a sprinter per se, he was a decathlete, which of necessity, requires a high degree of sprinting ability.

He came second to Bob Mathias in the decathlon in the 1952 Helsinki Olympics.
He had the speed and the size and was very successful in the CFL.

Librarians are not tough enough for Steel-Town football.