Interception in the Endzone

First off, I am in favour of modifying the rules around the Rouge but not getting rid of it. I would like to see it not awarded after a missed field goal and not awarded after a punt enters the end zone and exits it.

But for those who support the current iteration of the Rouge citing things like “the ball has breached the goal line” even when you miss a field goal. In that case, why wouldn’t you award a Rouge for an interception that is downed in the endzone? If you don’t award that failure, why would you award the failure of missing a FG.

Sorry I know this is not a new topic. Maybe one of the mods can merge this with a previous thread.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Because you don’t get a reward for missing a field goal because you dont get a point for missing a field goal

2 Likes

I believe the rouge is part of the “rugby heritage”. An interception wasn’t awarded in the end zone with a rouge back then most likely because the forward pass was illegal.

The other reasoning why it wasn’t changed would be a "hail mary situation. If the game is tied and the defense had a choice between catching the ball in the end zone or tipping it away, they’ll choose the latter if a point is awarded for an interception. If this is done on first down then the offense has two more tries. The offense is rewarded by failure in this instance as well even though it’s to a lesser degree.

The other issue is that it would also take kicking out of the game of FOOTball which most traditionalists would not like to see. At least with the rouge it is a kicking play.

2 Likes

Though I’ve been a fan of modifying the rouge where only playable balls are eligible for the point, it’s a scored for a kicking play.

An interception wouldn’t be caused by one so a Rouge couldn’t be scored

2 Likes

The reward is for breaching the goal line during the missed field goal is what I meant. It’s analogous to the ball being thrown during the interception which also breaches the endzone in the scenario I’m laying out.

Good answer. Thanks.

No its not even that…
The point is for kicking the ball into the endzone either by punting…kickoff or missed field goal and not allowing the receiving team to exit the endzone…

4 Likes

And as much as the rouge is not a reward for failure, awarding the Offence a point for an interception would be penalizing the D for success

6 Likes

This. It’s rewarding the coverage team for doing its job well enough to stop an opponent in their own endzone.

3 Likes

Exactly, it not for missing the field goal

1 Like

I agree except when the ball is unplayable and the coverage team has nothing to do with the result. As many have said in the past, I would like the rouge eliminated for unreturnable balls. Specially since balls can be kicked thru the endzone from midfield.

3 Likes

Not a fan of that idea.

I mean if your punter can punt the ball 55+ yards without the returner having a chance to bring it outside of the endzone they deserve to be rewarded.

Don’t penalize punters for doing well. Would only serve to make the game less interesting.

4 Likes

I’d like the rouge eliminated entirely, but I could certainly get behind this as an improvement over the status quo.

2 Likes

IMO there is no reason the get rid of it…I really never understood the hated for it, but I have my theories

5 Likes

If the punter kicks the ball through the endzone, he gets stats and pat on the back. Whereas the whole team deserves no reward for not getting the ball closer to the end zone

A good punter doesnt just kick the ball as far as possible. The best punters place the ball where it is advantageous. Like in the back of the end zone where it is playable

1 Like

But a punter punting the ball 20 yards across the dead ball line from a punt scrimmaged from the 1 is hardly an act worth 1 point let alone walking off with a win or Grey Cup.

Skillfully placing a kick into goal and preventing the return by way of coverage or (even better) a bounce out is a different story.

3 Likes

The rouge is awarded on a kicked ball into the end zone that is not returned out of the end zone, or kicked out,Yes it goes back to the origins and name of the game, “Football” a thrown ball is not live when it hits the ground, a kicked ball is. ,.

1 Like

The Rouge is a part of Canadian football that makes is distinct, it is a well thought out rule from the origins of the game, If there are people whyo prefer American football , then maybe stick to watching that ?

3 Likes

The rouge doesn’t bother me at all and neither does people complaining about the rouge. Complaining is every Canadians right as far as I’m concerned. Healthy debate is the cornerstone of our society. It usually doesn’t change anyone’s mind so there’s not much to be concerned about tbh.

3 Likes

That is far from the truth…a good punter will kick it out of bounds inside the 5

1 Like