Injured...

I think that Maas is not fully recovered, and i believe that Maas was pulled becuase of that reason. the last play that Maas was on the field, he took about 6 or 7 seconds getting up, and we did not see him for the rest of the game. In addition, Matt Dunnigan said that when he saw Maas he was taking a painkiller. Thoughts on this....

I say give Chang game time while Maas recovers.

i say giv chang time while.... maas sits on the bench and never plays for us again as a starter

maybe hes playing so poorly because of injury. if/when he returns to 100% then he can start again.

Or maybe start Chang, and have Jason backup, and bring him in in relief, similar to what they did with him and Ray in Edmonton; he seemed to thrive off that…

agreed!

I'm with you guys on this issue. I am pretty sure Maas is hurting physically and by now psycologically.

Sitting him down to allow for his recvovery seems like a good idea, but alas, Charlie Taaffe may lose face if he does this now, after what he has said regarding Maas' #1` status.

Maas had shoulder surgery in December. I dont think the strongest athlete can rebound from surgery to game status in six months.

I've had enough of "Maas is hurt". I don't care if he's hurt, this is two seasons in a row he's been "hurt", give the guy the boot and let other people play. He is a lifetime back-up QB, deal with it.

Players who are hurt go on injured reserve ... I'm getting the feeling that Maas thinks he is bigger than the game itself.

Bicep surgery*

Look, Brett Favre had to go into rehab years ago to deal with a Vicodin addiction.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=364891

"As he walked out of the Chicago Bears' training complex last Thursday carrying a small box of club-prescribed anti-inflammatory pills for a bulging disk in his back, linebacker Bryan Cox said that he thought half of the players in the NFL needed painkillers or anti-inflammatories to make it through a season. Phil Simms, who quarterbacked the New York Giants for 14 seasons before retiring in 1993, estimated that each NFL team would need a roster of 250 players to make it through a season if games were played with only healthy, nonmedicated players."

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/features/favre/flashbacks/bitter_pill/]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... tter_pill/[/url]

Painkillers are a part of football, folks. The article cited immediately above was written in May 1996 and sensibilities have changed. But be clear: pain management is an inherent component to getting through a season in professional football.

That being said, if Maas is taking painkillers, I don't instantly writhe in shock over that. My question is whether the arm is structurally capable of throwing the passes necesary to win in most -- and particularly Charlie's -- systems!

Let's just say at this juncture his ability to light up opponents vertically upfield on a consistent basis is suspect. Teams are approaching Maas that way in their preparation and we are seeing that sad fact on the football field week after week after week.

Oski Wee Wee,

The best was a joke in the spectactor which said:Whats the difference between Maas and a appliance store?The store has fans!......

I talked to Dunnigan at the game and he told me that Maas needs to sit. He is hurting he said it is in his shoulder his elbow his hip.

Get Timmy in there and let him get the reps. I think the management were hoping that Butler would really show something in the preseason and we wouldn't be in this pickle. But he didn't. SO Timmy will be the guy.

Timmy just needs to learn that he doesn't need to force it; it's ok to tuck and run. WOW when was the last time we said that about a Ticat quarterback. If he learns to do this then he will become even more of a threat because he now has 3 options and with his ability to throw on the run... he could be deadly. If we are going to go with Chang than accept the fact there will be growing pains.

I watched the game again and he has to learn to look of his receivers aswell.

Regarding Jason's torn bicep suffered AFTER last season.

Even though most of his long passes have been across field.
as Jason says, he does throw the ball 60-65 yards.

I see it at practice and in games this year.

Rather than look for scapegoats let's admit last game's problems
started with the Offensive Line not giving the quarterbacks
time to get in sync with the receivers.

Regarding sitting or benching jason
so he can let his injuries heal.

His surgery was in December, then 6 mo. rest.
he was 'on the count' throwing in March for 3 mo

He progressively preparing for 1000s of passes
he had to do at T.C. with occasional days off

A bicep tear is a soft tissue issue.

Jason will tweak it once in a while, folks.

Russ is correct.

Players block pain with pain killers
so they don't feel the tweaks.

If he doesn't feel pain from a tweak
he will feel at ease following through

and it won't affect his throwing motion.

The force of his throws may be impaired slighty
but name me a quarterback who is always 100%.

The Medical staff have their long experience
and the responsibility of deeming him fit to play.

As it should be.

P.S.

Ron Lancaster predicted Jason's shoulder joint
will progressively deteriorate as he ages.

It is a fact of life.

Nothing complex about that.

Arthritis build up is the culprit here
not the healing of soft tissue.

I recently read somewhere, perhaps on this site, that Jason Maas also had torn (note - not stretched) stomach muscles last season.

Can we presume that this issue has been resolved? If it hasn't, I say sit him down until we near the playoffs, which at this juncture, it appears we won't be able to participate in anyway.

Using the "glass half full" theory, I would say, lets assume we do make the playoffs, wouldn't the extra healing time for Maas as a backup QB be beneficial?

Whether his problem is from bicep or shoulder surgery or torn stomach muscles, sit this man down or get rid of him.

This being said, I agree that our most glaring problem at the moment, is the offensive line. They are indeed, offensive!

Its one thing i dont know if i can forgive playing last season injured and not telling anyone (or not telling many people)

People are saying, wow what a warrior, what a honourable guy, etcetc, but he has to realize he is not bigger than this team, we dont pay money to watch mr maas throw the ball, we do it to watch the tigercats. And when you play injured you're seriously hindering this team. (I realize Eakin wasnt anything amazing either but who cares at least he could throw)

Do the REAL honourable thing and step aside and heal (if infact it can heal)

People could set their personal thoughts on Jason aside. Its our crappy line that has been injuring QB's and preventing a good running game from evolving, and thus ovestressing the Defence.

Our butter fingered, random route running receivers aren't showing us much either. Lets take a look at French as a "clutch" guy on short crossing routes and see if we can't push Nate or the newbie from Regina into a valid WR, let alone getting the ball to Corey once or twice a quarter!

Yes it means giving Chang or Williams the reps, but Jason is a team leader and he can advise these guys how to prosper.

But fix that line! We just keep getting guys hurt...it was the same with Cavillo and even Danny Mac only survived with super quick release, until the reeivers and protection (let alone game plan) got him ridden out of town on a rail...

Do some of you folks have trust issues.

Do you fear that the 'Winning Is The Only thing' philosophies
of Vince Lombardi's and Charlie 'Papa Bear' Hallas'
influence our football people to over-rule our team doctor?

And THE TEAM DOCTOR IS SUCH A FOOL he goes along with it

AT RISK OF BEING SUED LATER ON BY JASON MAAS' PEOPLE
and even LOSING HIS LICENSE TO PRACTICE MEDICINE?

Let me assure you, Jason wouldn't be playing this year
unless he passed a hands on physical examinations
by the team doctor, A M-E-D-I-C-A-L D-O-C-T-O-R, folks.

Each game Jason gets a clean bill of health, he plays.

Our Trainer and our M-E-D-I-C-A-L D-O-C-T-O-R
do the examination of Jason Maas, folks

He is declared fit to play by
our M-E-D-I-C-A-L D-O-C-T-O-R.

Last year our team M-E-D-I-C-A-L D-O-C-T-O-R
sat Jason out with a strained or torn
oblique muscle injuries in his abdomen

because IT warranted COUPLE GAMES OF REST.

SO THAT THE TISSUE TEAR COULD HEAL
sufficiently for Jason to play gain

although Jason may tweak it once in a while,
10 MONTHS LATER, it's healed enough to play.

Players medical reports are recorded and saved
and the team relays the message to the press.

Any yet, so many fans DISMISS the team's
press REPORTS ABOUT PLAYER'S HEALTH

and selectively ACCEPT accept
ARM CHAIR QUARTERBACK'S MUSINGS

and read SPECULATION about it
on ticats and repeat it to others.

Does the "Hammer Time Theme' stand for hammering
the players, the football and management people
in these early stages of building a competent team?

Here is what I said a couple post back
based on some reported facts in the press

regarding Jason's torn bicep muscle
he suffered AFTER last season.

Even though most of his long passes have been across field. as Jason says, he does throw the ball 60-65 yards.

I see it at practice and in games this year...

Regarding sitting or benching jason
so he can let his injuries heal.

His surgery was in December, then 6 mo. rest.
he was 'on the count' throwing in March for 3 mo

He progressively preparing for 1000s of passes
he had to do at T.C. with occasional days off

A bicep tear is a soft tissue issue.

Jason will tweak it once in a while, folks.

Why am I not surpised that my research
on this subject only a couple post back.

is selectively ignored or immediately dismissed
by rocky123 and deisel27 in favour of conjecture?

the new players and the new football coaches
two games into their efforts to build us a team?

[continued]

Jason would have sat out On Saturday
if he tweaked something in practice

Nautyn Mc Kay sat out with injuries
he could have played with the week before

BUT Charlie worried that Nautyn might go down
during the game and they'd be short a roster spot

or got injured during a game, too

The Ticats are darned cautious with players hurts.
The player can play through it if he is merely hurt

However if he's injured, the possibility re-injuring it
outweighs the urge to play him with even slight injuries.

P.S.

Good suggestions, Lifter.

Possible actions to take.

(Ronfromtigertown) Why am I not surpised that my research on this subject only a couple post back.

is selectively ignored or immediately dismissed
by rocky123 and deisel27 in favour of conjecture?

the new players and the new football coaches
two games into their efforts to build us a team?

Well Ron, it appears that you have become the self acclaimed
M E D I C A L E X P E R T for the Hamilton Tiger cats. Some of your remarks are rather mean spirited and cutting, not just to me, but in general.

Okay, so some of us are wondering about Jason Maas' injuries, (passed and/or present) and conjecturing about them.

If you had been reading ALL of my posts, you'd know that much of my concern was predicated on what other doctors say about such injuries to the bicep and stomach muscles. First of all, I'm told that a tear is much worse than a strain. Whereas a strain can generally heal quite well, a tear may never fully heal. You discuss both of these injury types in your posts.

In your M E D I C A L W I S D O M, you refer to both of these injuries (strain and tear) and my doctor friends tell me that a tear can take a year or more to heal and may NEVER heal back to its original state, whereas, if the muscles are merrily strained, he could be back to full physical form earlier.

So you see, the experts I am chatting with are giving me cause to worry about Jason's actual condition, not just from the standpoint of pain, but moreover, from the standpoint of psyhcological effects which could arise from Jason's possible thinking that he MAY REINJURE HIMSELF if his original injuries were severe enough, (TORN) and as Ron Lancaster suggested last season, possibly end his career.

This causes me to wonder if he MIGHT be playing just a tad scared.

You know Ron, I don't wish to have a set-to with you on this site, but you forced me to defend myself here.

In terms of the coaching staff, I have had nothing but praise for these men since day one, even if I, in my limited wisdom, have differing opinions from their's on occasion. I agreed with all the changes they made to the team for this season with the ONE exception of J.D. Flick and this is the first time I have had ANYTHING to say about that. When Flick was cut,I was one of the people calling for trust in our coaching staff and GM. I have been and remain a solid backer of all of these men.

Long story short, Ron. You tend to nitpick and grandstand with your opinions. Why not keep the hurtful ones to yourself?

I regret that I had to post this response, but damned if I plan to stand by while you conjecture about me.

You have a lot of good insight into CFL football, specifically the Ticats. You and I both know that you know how to post more intelligently than the above post which set out to belittle deisel27 and myself.

Ron, I don't give a damn what you have deduced from the team doctors, I have a right to my opinion here, and I'm exercising that right.

Rock123 says

Well Ron, it appears that you have become
the self acclaimed M E D I C A L E X P E R T
for the Hamilton Tiger cats.

Rather than that, Rocky123,

I seem to be THE ONLY A-D-V-O-C-A-T-E
for our team D-O-C-T-O-R Dr. Levy here.

My frustrated tone is a result of
reading so many posts from people

who dismiss our Ticat Doctor's declaration
that Jason Maas is fit to play, rocky123,

and recommend their own solutions.

Your post rocky123 and deisel27's post
just happened to be the first posts
after mine which again contradicted
the Ticat's team doctor's diagnosis.

If one doesn't trust his handling
of Jason's injuries, in effect,

that verges on calling him
professionally incompetent.

If that's not a cutting blow
directed at our team doctor,

I don't know what is.

Why don't people trust our team doctor's
medical ability to diagnose injuries.

and make sound decisions about rest,
rehabilitation and it's proper care?

Regarding letting Jason Maas' bicep injuries heal.

Doctors called for Jason to rest his arm completely
for 4 mo. after his December surgery, until March.

Then, he started progressively preparing
for Training Camp through limited throwing.

The docs put him 'on the count' for 3 mo..
as did Charlie Taaffe at Training Camp

Charlie gave him ever 3rd or 4th day off.

QBs are like baseball pitchers these days,

They don't throw as much in practice.
It keeps their arms from wearing out.

You read somewhere, perhaps on this site,
that Jason had torn - not stretched
his stomach muscles last season, rocky123

You presumed the worst case scenario,
that it wasn't healed enough to play
even though the doctor okayed him to play.

It may have been a tear but
I don't recall if it was.

The Ticat trainers and team doctor
examined and diagnosed his injury
and gave the appropriate treatment.

Last year in August

When Jason's stomach muscle was damaged
the doctors decided to sit Jason out
for two or three games.

Jason was put on a program of stretching
and a set of exercises right away

to strengthen the muscles
in his stomach and back.

Jason did this for the rest of the season

My bet is that he continued this program
throughout the entire off season.

The Doctor likely still checks on
the health of that oblique muscle.

If that oblique muscle was badly torn,
he may still tweak it a bit at times.

Even if there is still some lingering discomfort
Jason can pass effectively by using of pain killers.

The oblique muscle hasn't stopped the doctor
from giving him the green light to play.

You did call for extra healing time
on this muscle and for Jason to sit out
until near the play offs, rocky123.

That would make perfect sense if Jason
had a severely torn stomach muscle

especially if it had just occurred
but it happened ten months ago

and the doctor doesn't think
that sitting him is necessary.

I don't know if your have other motives
for wanting Jason Maas to be sat out
until near the play offs, rocky123

but I do think that some fans have
motives other than his injuries.

None of us bystanders can be sure
of the extent of the injury.

(Ronfromtigertown) I don't know if your have other motives for wanting Jason Maas to be sat out until near the play offs, rocky123

but I do think that some fans have
motives other than his injuries.

None of us bystanders can be sure
of the extent of the injury.

No Ron, I have no other motives. When Jason is healthy, he is an exceptionally good quarterback.
I don't blame him, at least, not completely, for the team's lack of offense either. I think the offensive line is more at fault for this and possibly because our receiving corps isn't all on the same page yet, but I'm confident that this will change in time.

The O-line will be the same guys.

They better be extremely focussed to regain
the trust of the coaches, especially Charlie.

Charlie hasn't given Jason any assurances
that he'll start this week.

Consequently, Jason has really stepped up at practice.

He is spotting his primary receivers downfield better.

He's not waiting too long for them to get open

and he is not 'looking them off' quickly and throwing instead
to a receiver running a short route or dumping it off to a back.

he is heaving the ball downfield to his deep receivers quickly.