In with the new out with the old

I Love my Ti-Cats, but is it just me or are we doing anything to make us better??? The resent signing that was great and Butler, but what else have we done to improve our team. You see Edmonton just signing awesome players and what are we doing. I hope that this season is going to be a turn around I know alot of people who are not renewing their seasons, but my friend and I did. Just some thoughts would be cool.

We are on a new five year plan starting this
year. bob young cancelled the old one
because we were running out of time.
The team is being rebuilt from scratch with
as many rookies as we can find.
how's that???

I think two things are becoming clear. The teams deep with talent have cap problems (Edmonton, Montreal and maybe BC, Sask and Calgary). They are adding cheaper talent at the positions where they have the most expensive veterans and using that leverage to extract salary concessions from veterans or cutting them.

This is why we are starting to see lots of veterans get cut, like Troy Davis, the 4 from Montreal and talk of people like Ed Hervey being cut too.

The second thing that is becoming clear is that Calgary, Saskatchewan and Edmonton are going to have to cut some receivers and some of the guys they cut are going to be talented veterans with a few good years left in them.

My guess is that Desjardins's strategy has been to cut guys who were overpaid and underperforming (and in some cases had bad attitudes) in order to create cap room. Now the free agent pool was too shallow to meet our needs, but I but that he plans to scoop up a couple of these veteran receivers and let them play out their careers (at a reduced cost and with something to prove) until they can draft/groom new talent.

red24

That would be my guess too, red24.

Hopefully Marcel includes some 26-28 yr. old
CFL veteran receivers with years left to play

and finds some talented young
backup imports to groom, too.

I disagree. the good receivers under 30
in the cfl aren't up for grabs. and for
some reason our new coaching staff figure
they can do better by waiting until the
nfl draft is over and pick up the left overs after.

Marcel's "do nothing, but wait" strategy is too risky .... sure receivers will get cut after TC and during pre-season .....

....but then it is too late to build a [good] team

The NFL draft is in April!

Marcel's "do nothing, but wait" strategy is too risky .... sure receivers will get cut after TC and during pre-season .....
Its not really a strategy...he doesnt have much of an option. He has to clean up the prior mess. I for one do not want a patch job. Blow it up and rebuild it. Be competitive this year and continue to improve. This is the hand he was dealt. There are no solid CFL experienced players available (receivers especially) so what is he to do? A trade is something im sure he is looking at especially with all the early draft picks we have.

whoknows says

There are no solid CFL experienced players available

but as red24 said
...excerpt.. Calgary, Saskatchewan and Edmonton are going to have to cut some receivers

and some of the guys they cut
are going to be talented veterans
with a few good years left in them.

It may also be somewhat true that, as GOTC says.
3rdDown wrote: Marcel's "do nothing, but wait" strategy is too risky ...sure receivers will get cut after TC and during pre-season...

…but then it is too late to build a [good] team.

personally, I think top quality veteran receivers
would have little problem fitting in at any time

and I look forward to getting 1 or 2 of them.

Here is hoping that we can get a couple of good receivers. Nothing this off-season bothered me more than trading away D.J..

I would love to see him cut and resign with the Cats and then get a QB that can throw the ball more than 5-7 yards with authority AND "TO" A RECEIVER !!!. It would be so nice us P(h)luck a Flick from the Riders roster. I'd rather cheer him on as a Ticat than another colour.

Sadly, I am one who also thinks that Danny Mac (for all his failings such as lask of mobility and interceptions) could have done better than what we experienced last year.

Here is hoping that this year will be better to watch than 4-14 team since it was so much worse than to watch than the 1-17 team.

April 27-28 I am going to NYC for it

Good receivers in other cities that have CFL potential will magically come down with sprained ankles and be placed on the injured reserve list.

If your plan is let other teams recruit and sign wide receivers, and take the 5-6th best WR that the team cuts you will be in for a long season, and a short career!!

ya, but season ticket prices have gone up ... doesnt that ease the pain just a little !!!
haha

Seeing how neither the CFL Draft or the NFL Draft have been completed yet, there’s still a boatload of players that could be making there way to the Tiger-Cats before training camp. Some of which could be gems if given the proper opportunity. I also see a few free agent signings in the works after the rest of the CFL lowers the boom on there higher paid veterans. Plus, there’s always trade opportunity.

Now you are getting the idea!
What is happening is the CATS are sitting back
with a S##T loan of money waiting until all the
other teams have blow their bundle on free agents
then they step in after the CFL and NFL drafts
and pick up fresh blood wanting to prove themselves
that they are NFL material. :thup:

Sadly, I am one who also thinks that Danny Mac (for all his failings such as lask of mobility and interceptions) could have done better than what we experienced last year.
That is sad that you think that...

I also believe that dmac would have had a much better showing then the Mass.
Not the long term qb but Maas is not either.

I think you've had a few too many wobbly pops there BIGGIE. Last years debacle should in no way reflect on Maas, and if you think Dannys quick release could help those recievers catch, well you need to slow down on those Erie perch!

Marcel is a great GM. I see the team going very far this year. I think we'll do well in the draft.