In Michael's Memory

I love it when I stumble upon a good human interest story.

I missed this one about Bob Young's family in a June National Post article.

[url=http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Michael+memory/592137/story.html]http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Michae ... story.html[/url]

P.S.

Occasionally, I check out what's on Twitter briefly. This time I decided to explore it a bit further to try to get an idea

of why so many people spend a good bit of time reading the brief comments that every Tom Dick and Harry posts there.

I'm glad I overcame my "old guy" reluctance to explore new things. Maybe there is something to this Twitter thing. :wink:

Great story, thanks for finding that.

People forget why Bob purchased and saved the team !!

Great piece Ron..
Thanks!

Thanks, fellows. I thought it was quite ironic that Michael, who most people would think

would always be dependent on other people, became 'independently wealthy" after he chipped in

some of his inheritance to help Bob get his Red Hat computer software company off the ground.

as Bob, the Caretaker, himself says

“It was actually hugely rewarding, personally,? “Because my parents had worried about Michael all their lives, worried about what would happen to him after they’re no longer able to help.

And, suddenly, he was worth as much as my father had managed to accumulate over a 40-year career.

“So my father goes from having to worry about Michael to becoming Michael’s money manager.

It was very cute. And my father, who has a great sense of humour, found this as amusing as anyone else.?

Michael quit his job in inventory management, where he was one of the company’s most popular employees.

His learning disability was no match for his sense of independence,

and he worked and drove and fished whenever he liked.

“That’s what was remarkable about Mike, because you probably would have met him

and not even known,? his cousin Bill said. “He was a remarkable story."

Someone else’s persona would have probably shown tons of signs of dependence

and needed some form of formal care, but not Mike. He was more independent than any of us.?

P.S.

I taught Developmentally Challenged 14 to 21 year olds.

One evening back then, we Special Ed teachers put on a graduation dinner/dance
for our “developmentally challenged” students with about eighty guests attending,

many of them had not had experience with “developmentally challenged” people.

One guest was so impressed with how “normal” they were after talking to them that he remarked

with tongue in cheek 'they are only developmentally challenged when they want to be."

He was so impressed with how much more natural they were in having a good time,

looser and much less inhibited than most of us are at dinner/dances we have been to.

Wow, that was an amazing story. Sad to hear the details about Michael's death. I wish I could have met him. He sounds like quite the character!
Once again Mr. Young, THANKS for buying my beloved Ti-Cats and allowing my son and I to continue having fantastic (and sometimes frustrating ha ha) memories from all the games we have attended over the years!

kind of puts things into perspective...quite the powerful story. One of my favorite parts was when it was mentioned that many probably met Michael and didn't even know....maybe most of us have! Rest In Paradise Michael