In honor of Sept 30 Reconciliation day

Will you be doing anything specific related to the spirit and purpose of the day?

Will you still have to work?

Are you personally touched by this in any way?

During the 60s, I was in a Group home where 4 First Nations children lived. Did not know they were till many years later. They probably did not feel it so, but I guess they were the lucky ones that did not end up at residential school. Wish I had learned of their background at the time.

First time I really became aware of these issues existing during my lifetime was watching North of 60. Just a hint of the reality that I grew up oblivious to.

This day matters to me and I expect that a number of times during the day, I will pause and reflect and acknowledge the wrong that was done. I do this often anyhow, but moreso this day.

7 Likes

I will be reading the 94 calls to action with my son and we will be using that to come up with some specific things we can action on.

I have 2 adopted cousins who were part of the 60s scoop and will be reaching out to them to listen.

5 Likes

Did not hear of this. I too will look into it

1 Like

This about sums it up for me. I tend so spend a lot of time walking the forest trails around Ottawa. I'll be doing that again and contemplating what the entire city landscape would be like under Algonquin stewardship.

Edit:

I'll add here some novels that address/explore the impact of residential schools and/or colonialism in general on First Nations peoples in Canada:

1. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52214103-five-little-indians
    This is an excellent read that really shows how the effects of the residential schools continue to affect First Nations people now and into the future.

2. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11994903-indian-horse
    This is one that sports fans might find accessible because it focuses on hockey as an outlet/escape from residentials school issues (though the relationship to the sport gets complicated).

3. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45024447-empire-of-wild
    This one is less specifically about residential school survivors (and victims), but the effects of colonialism inform the lives of all the characters.

I'd love to hear other people's recommendations.

4 Likes

Wife and I plan to attend some local events.

Last weekend we attend a celebration of life, with many MMF members dancers, food and music. During that celebration a smudge was held for our lost friend and ECM. We have many friends who are/were affected by residential schools.

CP Supports ‘Orange Shirt Day’ With ‘Every Child Matters’ Locomotive

1 Like

You can find it here:

This is what is being recommend by indigenous leaders in BC as it hoped it will lead to real action.

i've tried to find info to help with #87 on that list and i did find articles about former and current cfl players who are Aboriginal

Here are the calls to action related to sports, which I think will be of interest to many posters here:

Sports and Reconciliation

1. We call upon all levels of government, in collaboration with Aboriginal peoples, sports halls of fame, and other relevant organizations, to provide public education that tells the national story of Aboriginal athletes in history.

2. We call upon all levels of government to take action to ensure long-term Aboriginal athlete development and growth, and continued support for the North American Indigenous Games, including funding to host the games and for provincial and territorial team preparation and travel.

3. We call upon the federal government to amend the Physical Activity and Sport Act to support reconciliation by ensuring that policies to promote physical activity as a fundamental element of health and well-being, reduce barriers to sports participation, increase the pursuit of excellence in sport, and build capacity in the Canadian sport system, are inclusive of Aboriginal peoples.

4. We call upon the federal government to ensure that national sports policies, programs, and initiatives are inclusive of Aboriginal peoples, including, but not limited to, establishing:

i. In collaboration with provincial and territorial governments, stable funding for, and access to, community sports programs that reflect the diverse cultures and traditional sporting activities of Aboriginal peoples.

ii. An elite athlete development program for Aboriginal athletes.

iii. Programs for coaches, trainers, and sports officials that are culturally relevant for Aboriginal peoples.

iv. Anti-racism awareness and training programs.

5. We call upon the officials and host countries of international sporting events such as the Olympics, Pan Am, and Commonwealth games to ensure that Indigenous peoples’ territorial protocols are respected, and local Indigenous communities are engaged in all aspects of planning and participating in such events.

2 Likes

I think to create exposure it would be wonderful to post some of these in the CFL Talk Category. I also think contacting the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and ask about inclusion of some of these athletes.

2 Likes

This movie is recommended viewing by one of the Aboriginal groups advising businesses as a good one for learning abot their history,

4 Likes

This is available on Netflix.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMM_OCQXqX8
i found this 14 minute documentry about residential schools also

I intend to watch this.

1 Like

Yea, the movie adaptation of Indian Horse played a few times on APTN in the last 24 hours too.

APTN also airs North of 60 every weekday if anyone's interested. Season 6 begins today and it'll likely restart at Season 1 in a few weeks.

I'm also a fan of the shows Wild Archaeology and Moosemeat & Marmalade. The former tours Canada looking at Indigenous dig sites and the latter tours Canada looking at forgotten native foods that you don't see in supermarkets.

If you don't have access to APTN you can subscribe to their streaming service APTN Lumi for $5/month.

just found a few hours late

Tom Jackson has released a devastating new song about children lost at residential schools | Roots Music Canada

1 Like

Had to work. A large chunk of downtown Victoria was closed for most of the day, a few blocks of Douglas street (the main drag) which I thought was a nice gesture. Too little too late obviously but it's up to us to all make the effort to show support. Every child matters. End of story

2 Likes

May contain nuts is a good sketch comedy show I believe