In bounds or out?

Was the fumbled punt that was recovered by Wpg in bounds or out?

I posted a poll and 2 screen shots here

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9162]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpB ... pic&t=9162[/url]

clearly out of bounds.

From your screenshots, one must conclude, “inconclusive.” It does show the Bomber player’s feet inbounds at that moment, and his body above ground, but the camera angle does not confirm he is touching the ball at that moment.

The camera showed the ball was out of bounds ,doesn't matter where his feet were,ball was out, but I doubt that the Officials would have overturned the call due to watching their backs so to speak.

The part that drove me absolutely nuts was that the official in the 2nd photo was in perfect position to make the call. When he went to mark the pocession to the Cats another official about 6 yards away ran up and started yelling at the first official and eventually overruled him. The play was bizarre even before the strange audio? malfunction. The ball was obviously out of bounds. Fotunately had little bearing on the outcome.

Neither picture shows the ball out of bounds. The ball is in bounds until it touches the ground out of bounds. Or until an out-of-bounds player touches it while it's still in the air.
It's just hard to tell if Simpson was still in bounds when he touched it.

In bounds.

The ball bounced over the sideline from the field into the air
above the out of bounds but it hadn't touched the turf yet
when #51, who was still in bounds, touched it.

The play stands as it was called. In bounds.

I have to challenge you on that one.

If a fumbled ball crosses the line it is out of bounds .

It doesn't have to touch the ground.

Corey Holmes was the last person to touch the ball while it was in bounds.

It then crosses the line and at that point it is dead.Out of bounds fumble which has already been on the ground.

It's not like a pass in the air that can be pulled back in if the recievers feet are in bounds and he has control of the ball etc.

Me thinks you're correct and not one replay on TSN last night clearly showed Simpsons position, so since the official would not have seen anything I didn't, "Winnipeg ball, 1st down."

(I'm a Cat fan, everybody. Please don't beat on me)

I hope someone has video on this one .
It was out clearly.

This clearly states the opposite:

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=7#I

It's in bounds until it touches out of bounds.

My challenge was over ruled ,the ball has to touch the ground .

I get a time out....

My wife thinks I'm a whole lot easier to live with when we win,bet I'm not the only one......

I was sitting across the other side of the stadium and even then, I could tell the ball was out of bounds. I could see the "white" of the field line on both the near and far side of the ball which led me to believe the ball was out of bounds.

My only surmise was that someone may have touched it prior to that point...but funny thing is, I don't recall them replaying it on the Jumbotron.

Barin Simpson touched it.

My almost last word on this subject. :slight_smile:

I got it! I got it! Here's the real skinny about, "the fumble."

By the rules, a fumble is not considered to be out of bounds and a dead ball until it has touched the ground or something else when in the out of bounds territory.

A player who is in bounds (feet touching ground inbounds) and gains possession of a fumble which has bounced out of bounds but not yet touched anything, shall be considered to have legally gained possession, and his team retains possession for the next scrimmage, if he then goes out of bounds.

However, the key is that player must have POSSESSION (control of the ball)before he himself is declared out of bounds. If a player only makes contact, but does not get control of the ball when it is in the air over the outside of the boundary line, and the ball is not batted back into the field of play before it touches the ground, the ball is dead and the last team to touch the ball on the field of play is given possession.

The questions which need to be answered before a "proper" ruling can be made on that play last night are:

1. Had the ball touched the ground out of bounds yet, when the Winnipeg player touched it on the out of bounds side of the field? (I don't think so)

2. When the Winnipeg player touched the ball when it was on the out of bounds side of the field, was he inbounds or was his body out of bounds. If he was out of bounds by virtue of his body position, he would be inelligible to participate in the play, thus Hamilton would retain possession? (Was very hard to tell on TV)

3. Did that same Winnipeg player, who if considered to be inbounds, gain control of the ball before being considered out of bounds himself. If not, Hamilton retains possession. (I am not sure if he held onto the ball when he touched it on the out of bounds side of the field.)

Roll the cameras again!!

You're excused if you don't feel too bad about your poorly timed challenge. From many of the replies it clear to conclude that like most players, sosmart fans don't know the rules either. They have only convinced themselves they do.

It looked to me that there should have been a no yards call, Hamilton ball!

However, the key is that player must have POSSESSION (control of the ball)before he himself is declared out of bounds. If a player only makes contact, but does not get control of the ball when it is in the air over the outside of the boundary line, and the ball is not batted back into the field of play before it touches the ground, the ball is dead and the last team to touch the ball on the field of play is given possession
I always thought that the last player to TOUCH the ball was awarded posession, you do not need posession in the CFL.

SECTION 9: OUT OF BOUNDS
Article 1: Definitions
The ball is out of bounds when it touches a side-line, side-line-in-goal, dead-line, or the ground or any other object on or beyond these lines. The ball is out of bounds when a player in possession of the ball touches a side-line, side-line-in-goal, dead-line, or the ground or any other object on or beyond these lines.

Note: The ball shall remain in play when it is knocked or batted back into the field of play by a player who is off the ground and who has not touched the ground or any object out of bounds.

Note: If a player gains possession of the ball while off the ground in bounds and is contacted by an opponent and lands out of bounds in possession of the ball such player shall retain possession.

Note: A player who gains possession of the ball near the sideline and touches the ground in bounds with the first step shall retain possession even if the next step is out of bounds.

Source: http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=7#C

This is precisely why the ball can break the plane of the out-of-bounds line but still be ruled a catch by a receiver with one foot (the first foot down) in bounds. As long as the player is in bounds and the ball is not touching the ground out of bounds, the ball is live.