Important News About 'Eating Crow'

Over the past week I've seen several posts on this site referring to 'eating crow'.

be ready to eat crow after the game, D_G--- Oskee wee wee oskee wa wa Tigers eat em raw!! Razz
AND In RESPONSE...
its u who will be eating crow....thats 100% crow.
Is this a good thing? Is this something one might want to do? How DOES one 'eat crow'. This humble researcher set out on a voyage of discovery.

First, BEWARE the crow. Like other wild birds it may carry the West Nile virus. DON'T eat any crow carcasses that you may find outside.

Second, where did the expression to 'eat crow' come from? Here's one story...

[i] From "Food for Thought" by James R. Watson http://www.niva.com/original/writblok/f ... origin.htm in the Fall 1997 issue of Writer's Block http://www.niva.com/original/writblok/

"If you’re feeling defeated, you simply must eat crow--a bird that is as tasty as it is melodious. It's one of our domestic dishes from a recipe allegedly discovered during the War of 1812. A Brit had caught an American shooting a crow on the wrong side of the border. He talked the Yank into handing over his gun, then used it to force the fellow to take a big bite out of the crow and swallow it. Needless to say, once the America[/i]

Three-
What does crow taste like? One writer says...

"I have had several opportunities to sample the flesh of crows (I will not go into detail about how this came about, but remember this is a legally hunted species). In my opinion, crow tastes just fine. It is similar to wild duck or any other wild bird with very dark meat. Crows have no white meat on them, as is true for most birds. (Whenever someone says something "tastes like chicken" remember that they're talking about the DARK meat of chicken, not the white.)
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/crowfaq.htm#taste

He also says,

New York (and most states with hunting seasons) set no daily bag limit on crows. Most literature on hunting them tells the hunters to be considerate to the property owner and collect the crows into one big pile instead of leaving them scattered over the field. A few mention that crows are edible and give some recipes for cooking them. I think if I knew people were eating the crows, crow hunting would feel more acceptable and less like vandalism.
Receipes????? Well... yes. There are a NUMBER OF SITES! Crow eating appears to be a major underground activity going on beneath the very noses of polite society.

See...

http://bertc.com/three_crows.htm
Three Crow Recipes From Debbie, courtesy of her Mom's WW II cookbook

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

Potted Crow:

6 crows
3 bacon slices
stuffing of your choice
1 diced carrot
1 diced onion
chopped parsley
hot water or stock
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup flour
buttered toast

Clean and dress crows; stuff and place them upright in stew-pan on the slices of bacon. Add the carrot, onion and a little parsley, and cover with boiling water or stock.
Cover the pot and let simmer for 2-3 hours, or until tender, adding boiling water or stock when necessary.
Make a sauce of the shortening and flour and 2 cups of the stock remaining in the pan.

Serve each crow on a thin slice of moistened toast, and pour gravy over all.

Crow Pie:

1 crow
stuffing of your choice
salt and pepper
shortening
flour
2 Pie crust mixes
2-3 hard-boiled eggs

Stuff the crow. Loosen joints with a knife but do not cut through.
Simmer the crow in a stew-pan, with enough water to cover, until nearly tender, then season with salt and pepper. Remove meat from bones and set aside.
Prepare pie crusts as directed. (Do not bake)
Make a medium thick gravy with flour, shortening, and juices in which the crow has cooked and let cool.
Line a pie plate with pie crust and line with slices of hard-boiled egg. Place crow meat on top. Layer gravy over the crow. Place second pie dough crust over top.
Bake at 450 degrees for 1/2 hour.

Collected by Bert Christensen
Toronto, Ontario

BON APPETITE everyone!

ticats slogan for 2007/2008 = DOMINATE!

funny post.

I don't think I have ever seen a more useless, unnecessary, and wilful waste of space. Mark, why has your search for knowledge taken you into such wierd areas?

Crow pie? ...Ugggh!

BTW, the French spell it...APPETIT...(Had to throw that in)

ooo(mmmmmm eating crow...)

[b]

ROTFLMFAO :smiley:

Oski Wheeeeeeeeeeee,[/b]

An interesting post, Mark, immensely improved at the end . . . Ahh, the receipes, of course.
My dear wife just walked over to the computer screen.

My pleasure, Rock. LMAO

Oski Wee Wee,

I actually feared this response Russ!

Well, football isn't my only fixation. ROFLMAO

Being a cunning linguist...ummmmm...language professional...gives you the ability to spot an opening in a thread...ummmm...

:D :D :D

GO CATS! :wink:

watch out Russ, the mikey morality police might arrest you...

LMAO

I have been in Mikey's "squad car" before and that clutter scares me even more than that spectre. LOL

Oski WTH is that,