Impact host Toronto FC at the Big O in MLS rivalry day 37k

Yup exactly. The stadium is going up now so even if the Sens and the OSEG combine for the partnership for a pro team in Ottawa could very well be a possibility since both want it and the only thing that was missing was the stadium which is now built. Agree with all of the immagrants bringing there soccer roots it will most likely be a winner. Great location with the Ottawa/Gatineau metro being uniquely over two Provinces. NFL owners have even gotten on board with owning an MLS team in New England and Seattle. even using there larger NFL stadiums lower bowls for the MLS with the Ability to sell upper bowl for big matches.
Like in the CFL the MLS having a team in a major city like Toronto gives it a lot of credibility and although it may not be a huge money maker at home the name Toronto helps with sponsorship.

I find it funny that MLS only has 3 teams that make money and the rest bleed cash with little or chance of ever making a profit, with the very low TV ratings that MLS gets, put some on here think the MLS is a great investment, please give me a break

Very well said

The MLS can be compared more to the NHL in that it is a league that can and wants to cross the border and establish markets in Canadian Cities to join the US markets.
The purpose of this thread was to see the CFL able to promote a rivalry game in the east much like the MLS and the IMpact has done with Toronto this season in drawing 37K for a natural boundry and city rival. Montreal maybe possibly able to schedule one game a season vs Ottawa at the Big O for a nice revenue draw for a regular game season.

You may be right, but the comment was that soccer and the MLS is the future, it’s a young sport in North America. You can’t deny that more kids are playing it than any other sport. The fact that owners such as OSEG in Ottawa and possibly Bob Young in Hamilton want to get into soccer because it has “potential” You don’t think that OSEG is going after an NASL team because they want to lose money? no they see the future. They see that young people are into it and more females into it and families.
As was stated above there are a lot fewer players on a soccer team a lot fewer coaches and a lot more games to derive income.
No they don’t have the TV revenue but I’m sure that will change.

I agree the MLS is a great secondary team for ownership group to own. A lot less over head and fits in perfectly with the CFL stadium philosphy is exactly like the MLS. SO the stadiums will be up and there will be dates to fill and the MLS wants to expand into canada and have started with the top 3 cities and will be now looking for strong ownership groups of CFL and/or NHL franchises to take on a team.
NFL owners in both New England and Seattle have added MLS teams using the lower rings of their football stadiums as the main soccer set up much like the White caps are using.

The MLS just had rivalry day and had a studio show on NBC sports net during the day for a couple hours where they jumped from game to game and back and forth to the studio just to talk and see soccer. Very cool idea and lead to some very big crowds such as was seen by the 37K for a game in montreal vs Toronto FC. It was all based on covering new and old rivalary games that have formed in the MLS over the years.

The MLS can be compared more to the NHL in that it is a league that can and wants to cross the border and establish markets in Canadian Cities to join the US markets. The purpose of this thread was to see the CFL able to promote a rivalry game in the east much like the MLS and the IMpact has done with Toronto this season in drawing 37K for a natural boundry and city rival. Montreal maybe possibly able to schedule one game a season vs Ottawa at the Big O for a nice revenue draw for a regular game season. [/quote] cflsteve-------I believe back in 2003, 2004 or 2005 when ottawa was still around ,rivilary games were played at the BiG 0we between Montreal and Ottawa. To my recollection they were very well attended , 50.000 plus ?---- one was played midseason and one towards the end of the season in different years. Maybe an Alouette fan could help me out here with a little more information from back then on these games.

cflsteve-------I believe back in 2003, 2004 or 2005 when ottawa was still around ,rivilary games were played at the BiG 0we between Montreal and Ottawa. To my recollection they were very well attended , 50.000 plus ?---- one was played midseason and one towards the end of the season in different years. Maybe an Alouette fan could help me out here with a little more information from back then on these games.
[/quote]
WOW that is great to hear. With a strong and proud Ottawa group owning the team along with a brand new stadium this Ottawa team should be here to stay. The expansion draft should make them much more competative from the get go.
With a better team and better network promotion this will be great for the CFL to see the ALs get back to one big regular season game back in the BIG O whith huge crowds and revenue to boot.
The only group in Quevec city that could get a Quebe City team up and running is not interested. A shame as Montreal could have two big Rivals and really generate even more CFL interest in Quebec.

It’s too bad I suppose that the former Argo owners didn’t start up the TFC team come to think of it. But then they weren’t rolling in dough and were skittish off the bat, with the Argos borrowing money from Braley so they were in no position like MLSE to fool around with an unknown soccer team. But hindsight is usually 20/20, think that’s the expression. They were well meaning people Cynamon and Sokolowski but unfortunately just weren’t well heeled enough to make some big decisions.

Now I know what you’re saying about credibility but am thinking in some ways the opposite could be thought of with the CFL and a team in Toronto meaning that if Toronto didn’t have a team and the league was doing fine, then it could be said that the CFL is strong enough to not even have to have a team in Canada’s largest city. Just another way of looking at I guess. And we know there has been talk in the past of whether Toronto was actually pulling the league down in some respects image-wise with the Argos having a very low profile there. Last year helped though tremendously and now it will be interesting to see what Braley does with the Argos, you have to know he doesn’t want to own 2 teams that much longer I would think.

Yup I can see that angle also but it is the fact that the CFL really an not afford to lose any franchises and right now with the Argos winning the Cup and having a football venue to play in, even if it is not the best for football and there dates are limited it is still a modern venue and right now in Canada there are no other CFL venues that will be availble in 2014 and there will be a CFL team in all nine of them.
The more non gate revenue streams go up. TV money, league corprate sponsors, Merchandising, and probably one day soon profit sharing from the GREY cup reveue itself divided among all teams. Gaming rights also something of the near future.
Also as long as there is no team in the Maritimes Toronto and the CFL should be thinking about moving one of the Argos home game each year for a traditional TD Atlantic Game with Toronto as the home team playing Montreal each season where more revenue could be made off of that one game each season than a an odd weeknight game at Rogers. Argo fans and season ticket holders would still have 8 games at Rogers centre but finding more revenue streams for the Argos outside the box could give a boost. TD Atlantic has been like a mini Grey cup and with Toronto vs the ALS each season would be something that Moncton can look forward to each season while getting more people from a different region to buy tickets to a CFL game.
Pre season games have had very poor attendance over the last few years so the Argos taking there pre season game on the road each year could also give them a revenue stream out side the normal thinking. Hosting Hamilton In London, hosting the ALS in QC, hosting the Riders in Saskatoon. Three areas where CFL football is not and can generate some revenue from local businesses in those cities making the Argos pre season games profitable.
There is still always the possibility of still trying to find a way to add a ticket to the Hamilton football season ticket package for a seat at Rogers centre for the game after Labor Day to make a 25,00 capacity to a 35,000 capacity.
But for the Argos just to sit at Rogers for games they know will not draw like a tuesday night game a thursday night game after Labor day etc. and move it to Moncton with local sponsors for another revenue stream for the Argos as host