Imagine how much richer the CFL would be if

...all the Canadians who think it's a joke supported it instead.

There wouldn't be any revenue issues anywhere, and the league wouldn't have to take sketchy online betting sponsors who think they can influence the rules.

To all those "Canadians" I say... you're lucky there's no law against sports treason.

4 Likes

All teams supported their team at the ball stadium. With their butts in the seats. 2 p.m. Sunday afternoon noon starts, might help. Even 2 p.m. Saturday is better than starting at 8 p.m. can’t even stay awake that late.

1 Like

Oh come on! It's got to be under the lights on a warm summer evening.

1 Like

TSN is cancer. Now that teams can barely draw 10k. The league is more dependent on them and their crap schedule more thsn ever.
As for myself. Im embarrassed to tell people that Im a CFL fan. 9 out of 10 people have laughed in my face.

5 Likes

Yes some teams are having attendance woes at the gate. BC is seeing a slight increase, Edmonton will improve if they can get some wins, Calgary has an older team and I think the fans have become ho hum same old thing etc., Regina and Winnipeg are OK, in fact the Banjo Bowl is sold out. I live in the west so can’t comment on the east. I do think some of the attendance woes are due to the current economic climate - go to a game or put food on your table. So yes attendance can always be better but I don’t see this 10k your talking about. There are a lot of people who love the CFL game and with the right promotions you will see those attendance figures increase. The NFL has a different style game an there are those who prefer that game. No big deal - that’s called freedom.
The schedule is not perfect but the league as a whole can always visit the pros and cons. Most people don’t like the Thursday games, but out here Doman not only wants to try a Thursday game but also move the start time to 4pm. TSN should love that as that would be a 4pm start in the east.
As far as TSN goes yes things can change. That last game with the lions in Calgary I listened a bit on TSN and also the Lions Radio network and the radio boys had me sitting on the edge of my chair where the TSN folks were lacking something.
Anyways I don’t think things are as bleak as you make out and I’m proud to say I’m a CFL fan!

2 Likes

So ... football communism ... you will support CFL comrade ... and enjoy it

3 Likes

Be proud of being a CFL fan. Don't let those weak minded fools ridicule you. Bring up all the negatives that the NFL like corruption, touchbacks, fair catches, etc. And laugh at them for a change

6 Likes

WTH are you talking about? There is no law... so no. Do you typically only focus on the last sentence yet quote the whole post?

I’m not crazy about the bombardment of betting sponsorship and don’t partake in any of that, but it’s a free country. I don’t see how it’s sports treason. Professional sports is about money and if online betting companies want to offer advertising revenue why wouldn’t that money be acceptable? There are a lot of other products that are advertised that I do not partake in. After the ads so far this year I have vowed never to drink another Sleeman’s. for example. And how is gambling worse than alcohol related advertising? Give the advertisers credit for knowing their target audience at least.

You can always watch amateur sports or beer league games if the advertising in professional sports offends you.

1 Like

i see no reason to ridicule other leagues or sports.
I have never seen anybody ridicule the cfl. I only seen and heard that some minimize it or don't ever watch it. And never do they laugh in my face over it.

3 Likes

Fight fire with fire I say. I get the same treatment with the NFL snobs. All they can do is bring up the money the NFL players make. I just point out the OJ, Arron Hernandez, Deshaun Watsons, Fail Mary, Dez Catch/No Catch, Spygate, Deflategate. Tuck Rule. And they come back with, "but, but... the money".

I tell them money corrupts. The CFL players play for they love the game of Football.

2 Likes

CFL players play for as much money as they can get just like the NFL guys do.

4 Likes

I think that’s an overreach. The NFL has had their problems, but so has the CFL. I agree with Everyman that there is no need to denigrate other leagues just because you love the CFL. That would be insecurity I would say. Love or hate one or both I say. I happen to love them both, even though they are different, like kids.

And I don’t think that CFL players play for the love of the game only. Maybe some do, but not Lawler or Davis or many others in the league. The Bombers would still have their entire team from last year intact if that were the case and Streveler would still be the backup.

2 Likes

But the CFL's problem isn't as bad as the NFL's problem. And never will be.

If they(NFL snobs) start it, I finish it. CFL fans shouldn't hide in the dark and apologize for being fans.

And because the Bombers refuse to keep the band together, they may not get to a three-peat Grey Cup winner

1 Like

Naw! The NFL guys play for the money. You never see them take a pay cut to remain on a contender with the exception of Brady. They bitch when they get franchise tagged by their team

The NFL players are getting as bad as the NBA and MLB players that want to be individuals by padding their stats and bank accounts rather than being a good teammate

2 Likes

Since the last sentence sets the context for the post ... yes

1 Like

You're not good at understanding someone being facetious, huh? You should avoid any type of comedy.

1 Like

Blame the shites like Seth Rogen

That’s the first I have heard the Bombers refused to keep the band together. I thought they did pretty well in that regard. Winning teams like the Bombers and Lightning, who had to let Palat go, just can’t keep everyone. Almost all of them want raises, especially when non winning players get raises.

The Bombers couldn’t do anything about losing Kongbo, Alford and Desjarlais to the NFL. The better teams tend to lose more players that way. They made conscious decisions to not pay Harris and Richardson, although there has been some talk that Richardson wanted to play in BC no matter what. Those two decisions turned out pretty well.

The Bombers kept everyone together basically and the two that left are not playing anyway. I don’t know of another back to back championship football team that has done better than the Bombers in retaining their talent. The Patriots had much greater turnover every year.

3 Likes

Yeah this announcer sounds like my tannyhoe in the bathroom