im worried about our defensive line!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ticats.ca/page/greg-marshall

^^^ This guy is the one reason, I am not worried about our D-Line...

As for the comments about Darrell Adams, it looks like we might have the most underrated DT in the CFL, even Tiger-Cat fans themselves don't think Adams in amongst the best DT's in the league. Let me just give everyone some statistics to compare...

Top 5 DT in the CFL

Sacks

1st - Aaron Hunt - 11
2nd - Keron Williams - 10
3rd - Darrell Adams - 8
T4th - Doug Brown - 6
T4th - Dario Romero - 6
T4th - Jim Davis - 6
5th - Miguel Robede - 5

Tackles

1st - Tyrone Williams - 49
T2nd - Adriano Belli - 43
T2nd - Doug Brown - 43
3rd - Jerome Haywood - 42
4th - Devone Claybrooks - 41
5th - Darrell Adams - 40

EDIT - Added Claybrooks to tackle list, forgot to check FA list...

Great post GBonds88!

He is underrated for sure. Also, a lot of people don't understand how good 5+ sacks is for a DT in a season. People should not think of a DT in the same way as a DE. A good DE will usually have at least double the sack count of a good DT because of how each gets their sacks. The interior is a much more dark and brutal place than the outside edge. The strongest guys on most football teams are almost always the DT's.

I totally disagree. To fire Obie, you need to have a better replacement available. Desjardins was in his first official GM gig, and while it's not his fault that he was given a huge mess to clean up, it still appears in hindsight that he was out of his depth. Obie has made lots of positive changes (though to Desjardins' credit, Obie was given a smaller mess to deal with). There is some stability and an air of respectability around the GM's office for the first time in years. What the franchise needs now is some positive continuity. That starts with having a GM who knows the ropes. If a candidate with a recent track record leaps and bounds better than Obie were to become available (maybe Tillman if his legal troubles were resolved positively), THEN you could start talking about firing Obie.

On the flipside, taken without additional information, a high sack total for a DT could be a red flag that he's not disciplined against the run. I'm NOT saying that's the case with Adams, just observing that these kind of numbers don't always tell the whole story.

[/quote]
Not getting the players and coaches Charlie needed was Obie's fault. And this did contribute to Charlie's dismissal. Also, CP and JL getting hurt didn't help out as well.

Think about MB, everyone wanted him fired as OC. The only thing different MB did that CT didn't was start Porter.

Porter was a big difference in moving the ball at the end of the year.

I have to agree with Onknight with and expanded explanation. Obie didn't have the right personel in place for Charlie to succeed.

Obie looks like he has stumbled onto a good QB and WR.

My biggest concern this season is still the dline. Obie doesn't win this season as GM, I do see him getting fired. He will have approx. the same time as Desjardins. You can't give Obie more time than Marcel just because he is Obie.

I am excited about MB being our full time coach but will he end up getting the axe early like Marshall did?

The only thing that got Charlie fired was his poor coaching and complete ineptness. He looked totally clueless at times, christ he didn't even know how many time outs he had called.

[Obie did same thing last year and it Cost Charlie his Job

You can’t seriously believe this can you?
[/quote]
Sorry I do Feel that way
If we fail to make Playoffs again it will his job and Prez Scott Mitchel who should be Fired.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Not getting the players and coaches Charlie needed was Obie’s fault. And this did contribute to Charlie’s dismissal. Also, CP and JL getting hurt didn’t help out as well.

Think about MB, everyone wanted him fired as OC. The only thing different MB did that CT didn’t was start Porter.

Porter was a big difference in moving the ball at the end of the year.

I have to agree with Onknight with and expanded explanation. Obie didn’t have the right personel in place for Charlie to succeed.

Obie looks like he has stumbled onto a good QB and WR.

My biggest concern this season is still the dline. Obie doesn’t win this season as GM, I do see him getting fired. He will have approx. the same time as Desjardins. You can’t give Obie more time than Marcel just because he is Obie.

I am excited about MB being our full time coach but will he end up getting the axe early like Marshall did?

The only thing that got Charlie fired was his poor coaching and complete ineptness. He looked totally clueless at times, he didn’t even know how many time outs he had called.

1 Guy dose not make a Dline.

I can’t believe what I have just been reading…we have people talking about firing Obie???
This thread has gone nuts.

Maybe this post has gone nuts, but I tell you that if the Cats go 3-15 or 5-13, Obie is going to be the scapegoat.

I think that most of Obie's moves have been great, but there are two things that bug me about this team, firstly, the Cat's had the worst defense in the CFL last year in most categories, and there hasn't been a whole lot done to make it better. Guillory is not as good as most people out here would like you to think, and neither is Floyd. If they are going to give up 35 points a game, I don't think that the O has the firepower to put up those kind of numbers consistantly. Other than Prechae, they have no depth at receiver, and of course they are relying heavily on a basically rookie QB.

Of course, the OLIne has gotten a bunch better, so Porter will have time to work and won't get killed like he did last year, but it's going to be tough for them to put up enough points to overcome a suspect D.

I disagree. Like someone posted earlier, for the first time in Bob Young's tenure as owner of the Ticats, we finally have a traditional management structure in the football operations department. If the team struggles mightily this season, I would say the scapegoat will be the Canadian born, CIS trained, first-time head coach Marcel Bellefeuille. Nothing against him at all, I think the team will do fine this year, but if someone is going to shoulder the blame, it will be the rookie head coach. I don't think that is going to happen though. The team has a plan and it's been roughly 2 years for the Scott Mitchell-Bob O'Billovich era of Ticat football. I think Bob Young has realized that patience and continuity are the keys to success in professional football. So I don't see the president or general manager of the team getting canned that quickly if the season disappoints.

As for the defense, I think you are forgetting the fact that the biggest move that was made this off-season wasn't player related. It was the hiring of Greg Marshall as defensive coordinator. Someone with a proven pedigree as a defensive coordinator in the CFL. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when a player on the team you didn't really pay much attention to, has a big year this year because they will be put in a position to excel and take advantage of their skills instead of the "round pegs into square holes" approach of Denny Creehan.

Oskee Wee Wee!

• paul

paullywood:

That has to be one of the best written and level headed posts I have ever read on ticats.ca. Fans like you are hard to come by.

Aw shucks ... I have my moments.

Actually, I read this forum pretty much every day, I just pick my spots better than some. I think you will find there are a lot of fans like me out there, they just don't happen to spend that much time in front of a computer like I do!

But thank you for the compliment, it is appreciated!

• paul

I think we all know that... my post was solely to point out how underrated Darrell Adams is by comparing his stats to the rest of the CFL's "Elite" Defensive Tackles.

One guy does not make a D-Line but with help or even just a partner(ie. Montford had Cheatwood, Wake had Hunt and Johnson,) that player can DOMINATE the league and opposing offenses.

Good Point....Marshall is a pro....but all that being said, he can't very well lace em up and tackle people. The Bombers were very average defensively last year, and even though he's a pro, the Peg D wasn't any better than the personel.

I have absolutely no doubt that this year one or two players step out of nowhere and have breakout years, last year it was Thompson, who knows....there is a lot of good young talent out there. My only problem is there are a lot of maybes on the D, if most of them come through, well that's great but if not, it will put a lot of pressure on Porter, considering the apparent lack of firepower on the offensive side of things.

Every time I see Bekasiak on the field Im amazed this guy is one big strong looking player and you would think he would make a very good DT, They should definitely give him a good shot, hes built like Belli only bigger. Get a good Dline coach to really get on his tail.

I dunno, als4ever... while it's true that if a whole bunch of bad things happen, or good things don't happen, then the season won't be very successful, but that's true for all teams. There are always "maybes" on football teams, and unexpected events like major injuries to key players (e.g. a certain former Ticat RB that you and I both felt was less than the obvious second coming of George Reed or Mike Pringle that some believed). This is no more the case for the Ticats than any other CFL team.

I expect the Ticats to be substantially more competitive than last year, and to me that means the expectation of a playoff appearance. More than that would be a bonus.

I think our defence will be improved compared to last year. Our young players will have another year together under their belts, and additions like Guillory and Floyd will definitely help.

As for the "apparent lack of firepower" on offence, I don't agree we are weak offensively. We have the makings of a very good O-line now, and a strong running game that should be helped by that line. Our passing game will probably be middle of the pack, but I wouldn't want to categorize it as a bad one just yet.

Effective coaching can only help, on both sides of the ball. I think we have that.

We have some very good players, capable coaches and good potential. I think our direction is upward. There are no guarantees, for the Ticats, the Als or any other team. But since that's always the case regardless, I prefer to see the glass as half-full.

All three spheres have to work. If the offense stays on the field longer and it cuts down on turnovers or gives up less field position (Sacks,takles for loss). The stats on the defense will improve by it's equal. Having a defensive coordinator that has experience and can put a strategy together and IMPLEMENT it also improves the defense, then you have the extra year of maturity and the addition of Barker, Floyd and others like possibly Mace.

This and the other 7 teams will be "different" football teams this year then last. I think Obilovich's work this year has been good, much better then in his first year. Bellefeuille's track record as a CFL coordinator is average to poor depending on how your rate the teams he led. Saskatchewan slighly less then .500 record, Montreal less then .500 record and Hamilton we won't bother but a HC is a whole different set of skills, I'm sure there are some generals that would make lousy seargents on the ground and as we've seen an excellent coordinator dosen't always make a great HC.

If Hamilton can win half the balls game they lost by a tight score last season that will put them at 6 or 7 wins right off the bat and then it all has to come together. They don't have the depth to handle many injuries and a lot will depend on how competitive Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg are. Obviously if Toronto or Winnipeg fall to 3 or 4 wins that could help the Ticats situation greatly. However a slgufest of mediocrity will allow the West to slip in again.

The Ticats need some breaks with rookies and new guys like Keith and Porter to deliver, they need to stay healthy but the biggest thing this team will need is a good start to the season, the confidence that will allow them to GEL and trust each other and then they will be back in the pack. At this point it would be counter productive to discuss doomsday scenarios.

Training Camp. How the players respond to the new O & D Coordinator will map the path for the rest of the season. I have attentened the past 2 camps with Charlie Taaffe and compliment. This year I expect there will a lot more physical one on one competition. The past two years were more of a song played to
players who didn't have a clue what type of rythem would be needed to make it work. In some cases I thought Charlie was talking for the sake of hearing himself speak.

I expect much much more this year.

Marshall is the ASSISTANT HEAD COACH! Meaning HE WILL be the NEXT H.C but imo Marcel Bellefeuille Will be around for at least Until Labour Day 2010, He will have a job in CIS whenever he needs it. As for TiCats Defence Hopefully Marshall brings back the Mauling type D Hamilton Fans Crave!!

J.P. needs to grow facial hair develop an attitude with a mean steak. :twisted: