"Im not paid like a starter" Porter

I'm sure he wishes he never said it now.

Particularly after that last start!

We can only wonder what might have happened had Glenn came in after the first drive of the second quarter. :roll:

Sure, start him next game...but a "short leash" please.

I get the optics of what you said about Bishop’s track record. The thing is his 11-wins-as-a-starter in 2007 was capped by blowing up in the playoffs – and he repeated that in Regina last November as well. Burris earned his ring as a starter. so his “free agent” expectations would be in another order of magnitude, methinks. You pay a guy like that top money – Calvillo-Ray-Joseph money in terms of scale.

I fully agree with you re the hook of Porter last game. I stated in the game thread that I could understand Marcel making the move when he did. However, I would balance that with what I mentioned earlier about QB Trust 101. A coach has to be able to suck it up too at times and let a QB have time to fight out of a hole. It’s a balancing act. The most important issue in that aspect of game management is to assess whether the early deficit was more of a collective lack of execution than a singular pivot making bonehead mistakes. It’s also assessing/adjusting the playcall to optimize efficiency in adverse playing conditions, causing mismatches, etc. If I were a coach, I would err on the side of sticking with my young starter for up to a half in the case where it isn’t him alone “costing” the team rather than getting into a habit of hooking early as a pure scoreboard chaser.

It’s not easy, granted.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Is it “mature” to open contracts after four games? Bob Young paid Casey Printers’s piper last year IN FULL. When you offer your handshake, does it have a perforated tear-away line at the wrist? I hope not!

Release him? I get that.

This isn’t 1969, folks.

When you’re brought in and forced to take a forty percent paycut not even at midseason in a league with collectively-bargained work conditions, you contact your agent and your player’s association regarding the situation. Players tend to talk. Media speculation is fuelled by such sackings of starters. I am not sure whether LeFors can be blamed for this getting out THREE WEEKS after it happened as some rant by a jilted employee. Methinks that the way things are run inside the mosquito tent dictate how much the Kelly-loving scribes there (??? :wink: no sarcasm emoticon) DIG FOR STUFF at this point. I do not begrudge any player when confronted on a question like that given the scenario involved to vent.

LeFors’s reaction: “They didn’t put me in the best position. But when I feel like I have a gun to my head, what am I going to do?”

If I’m a reporter, I’d ask why did he take the pay cut. If I’m being truthful on the other end of the mike, I’m not ruminating about how people might negatively view my maturity level by expressing what has gone down. Circuses need no slack.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

I don't want to sidetrack this thread into a LeFors one since it's being discussed in the "Changes in the Bombers Camp" thread. I think that Porter's "transgression" should be framed in the context of other events so far this year across the league -- Huf-Armour, Andrus-Bruce, Spies, Kelly-Armstrong, Andrus-Joseph, Kelly-Lefors -- to appreciate that it remains a tempest in a teapot until further notice. :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

I should add that Porter did get banged up from a hit in the game, so the hook was in part injury-driven. Has anyone heard more on Porter’s status (including whether his MCL injury from last year was re-dinged)?

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

If Porter wants to be paid like a starter maybe he should let his performance indicate he should. How about you don't whine about your contract after being pulled in 3 of 7 games and be outplayed be the backup QB who has been a team guy from the start.

As for Glenns play, he won us the WPG game, if he goes in earlier we probably make a move vs MTL, and against SSK the 2nd Q against the wind starting at his own 10 yardline every time, what do you expect of the guy. We had some drops and drive killers. Porter is lucky that MB has repeatedly gone back to him and now he pipes up with this....might have a headcase on our hands.

You know what we should all do? Since we are experts at handling and developing professional football quarterbacks, obviously. We should turn on him like we did with Tom Clements and Anthony Calvillo. Yeah, that will show em. That seemed to work out well for us.

:roll:

I know it's a bye week, but are we really this bored that we are dissecting a quote that many of you may be taking out of context?

• paul

I don’t believe Quinton had an agenda in mind when he said these words.

"I'm not paid like a starter," Porter says.
I think Quinton was explaining from a strictly logical point of view

that the Ticats have no obligation to start him
like they would if he was paid starter’s money.

"They don't want to give me that confidence.
He realizes that, if the Ticats gave him starting QB money,

the Ticats would feel that that would make him feel
that, they thought, that he deserved starting QB money,

which was not the case in this past off season.

When I'm in, I'll play the best that I can, but it really comes down to the trust

the boss has for an employee."

He realizes his coaches don’t have to feel the strong obligation to him
that they would if the Ticat organisation was paying him starter’s money.

P.S.

Unlike many people, I don’t like to read things into
quotes from athletes that I read in the media

They are seldom thought-out comments made with an agenda in mind
they are almost always nothing more than off-the-cuff spontaneous comments.

I dont know how many times I've read "he's developing, give him a chance" since the beginning of the season. Ive also read (and I have even said myself) what great tools that Porter has. Unfortunately, he hasn't show these tools too often this year, and for that matter, with the notable exception of the game vs. the Als in Hamilton, he has shown himself to be what he is....a rookie or near rookie who is learning as he goes and wilol have more bad moments than good.

The Cats have to decide who is going to lead them to the playoffs. While the 4-3 start is great, lets be honest here and say that the CATS schedule is alot tougher in the second half of the season. aT this point is it unreasonable to say that unless the Cats get good production, with games coming up against Calgary, montreal and Edmonton, not to mention the two games against the A...s who despite their troubles were able to beat us in July, the cats may very well a couple of games below .500 within a month.

If this is about winning, then you have to go with the guy with the hotter hand, and that would be Glenn. If you want to stroke Porters hurt feelings, then start him for the next 5 games, then you may be looking at a fight for that playoff game.

Anybody who has two eyes can see4 that Porter is hurt out there...for QP to complain about not playing when he is having problems throwing is selfish.

A

At last count, that's twice Porter has used the media to complain about his situation. (first about starting and now about cash)

I have to wonder, does Obie have a three strike rule ? :?

Here’s my two cents. MB jumped the gun by telling everyone Porters our #1 guy. Porter can read and thinks he’s the guy. It’s a done deal “I’m #1”. In comes Glen, ahhh… for insurance purposes but the guy isn’t bad, has maturity, been around and is capable. Porter doesn’t shine the way MB hoped he would and has to pull him in a couple of games. MB has a problem now. The guy to be (porter)or the guy that is (Glen). Porter in the mean time shows he’s got cracks in his armour. Play is sluggish. Pouts when he’s taken off, money pops up in a interview, “I want to be #1”, litters his press clips. There’s a me, me,me attitude creeping in.
Looking back I don’t know of a lot of new, young QB’s that have been given starting status after only a couple of games. Printers? They need to mature! MB needs to sit down with this kid and tell him that yes he has potential, no he’s not starting material yet and that he will see playing time and by the way forget about money for the time being. If he does’nt do this things will only go south.

Porter isnt "using" the media.
He was answering questions in an interview. Instead of being a programmed robot using sports cliches he answered truthfully. He has every right to speak his mind.

No controversy here, mikey, nice try though.

Crash started the thread by saying

…“but for some reason i get the feeling this is going to become a big problem before the season ends. Im starting to wonder how mature Quinton really is.”

But Zontar says this now

…“He was answering questions in an interview. Instead of being a programmed robot using sports cliches he answered truthfully. He has every right to speak his mind.
No controversy here, nice try though.”

Houston, we have a problem… :lol: :lol:

Who's disagreeing, mikey?

I agree, it could very well end up a problem as I said the coach is walking a tightrope and , yes, Porter needs to suck it up a bit but that doesnt preclude answering a question put to him.

As of today there's no problem. It's still status quo. Porter is the starter like week one.

Crash is expressing an opinion but more importantly an educated opinion because he actually pays and goes to the games rain or shine , win or lose, on top of watching and reading.

So I respect him and his opinion. Most people do.

Unlike you, mikey, an uniformed opinion, game-playing, trouble-maker exposed as such a long time ago.

You're the only one that doesnt seem to know everyone in here think's you're a joke.

8) Yes Russ, it is the same MCL that Porter originally damaged last year.
 Apparently  the MCL is slightly stretched, no tear.  

He feels that this extra time off right now will certainly help it  !!

Thanks TIp!

I am sure with the extra days off and a chance to do a little extra surfing elsewhere than the forums at ticats.ca that Quinton will be in good form for Edmonton. :wink:

:D :D :D

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

The point of the thread is that I felt this flip flopping would be an issue from the beginning of the season, although i admire both for the way they have handled the situation, Quinton seems to be frustrated with this situation. Countless people said "Both QB's will be fine with it" "Glenn knows his role" etc.

Well it isnt working, at least for QP it isnt... and im not sure why he's upset, there is a serious argument to be made for Glenn starting but yet Porter continues to get the time... and he's talking about confidence? He's hurt, he cant throw like he did last year, he almost looks like Maas out there at times with this arm, and his backup comes in and moves the ball to the point where they get back in games. Glenn makes quicker reads, throws more deep balls and trusts his receivers to make plays.

I am all for developing a QB but QP should be happy with what hes getting right now.

OH boy, this ought to good. :roll:

Two guys from Ticatfans.com get tired of talking to each other and answering their own posts over there so they come in here. :roll: 2 posts in 4 days over there :lol: WOW

Ought to be a first too here...getting a thread locked on one started by the other! :wink:

Exactly…you and I may disagree on other issues but that is a great synopsis of the current situation…I posted earlier in the thread that perhaps Porter is mis-reading what the coaches are trying to accomplish with him…ie: he may be mistaking all the playing time as a way to use him as a starter without paying him scale, but I believe the coaches are just trying to give him the reps in game conditions to make him better and hopefully assume the “real role” as a CFL starter as early as next year…he may be “looking a gift horse in the mouth” is what I’m saying…he needs to be careful in what he says and just be grateful for the opportunity to showcase himself for future, better contracts…

I think you guys are reading -waaay- too much into a very short sentence.

Milton was asking him if he considered himself the starter, and he gave a flippant answer.

His mistake was go provide too long an answer. A simple yes or no would have worked better in this case.