If You Were The Coach...

If you were coaching this weeks practices for the Saskatchewan Roughriders what would YOU do to try and solve the problems they've been having the last few games. I realize injuries are a large part in the two losses but putting the injuries aside how would you try to patch things up. Here's my two cents worth:

I don't think Nealon throwing 5-10 yard passes has a damn thing to do with losing games, I think it's a lot more complicated than that. For starters our receivers need to pick it up, sure some passes are just plain off the mark there's nothing you can do about that but for the most part Nealon's passes are definatley in a catchable area but our receivers are opting not to go up for that jump ball, or not to lay out on the turf for a diving catch, I don't know what it is but I sure hope they pull up their socks against Montreal on Thursday.

Next off the bat is our poor coverage on the short pass. I realize we play a lot of zone coverage and the weakness in the zone coverage is to play underneath the zones or find the "hole" inbetween two zones and sit there but seriously, I saw WAY too many 5 yard passes from Joseph to either a Wideout or Ranek turn into a 10 or 15 yard gain simply because no one in the secondary was around to make the tackle at the point of the reception. I'm not claiming to be a defensive mastermind because I'm more of an offensively educated guy but this needs to be fixed.

We're putting the pressure on the QB for the most part but we're just not quite breaking through the line in time to sack the QB. We're closing in the pocket and forcing the opposing QB's to scramble or roll-out but we just can't wrap them up and sack them. In years past the Riders have been at the top of the league for sacks so maybe I'm just too used to stellar seasons when we get 2 or 3 sacks a game but 1 sack against a suspect Ottawa O-Line is **** poor. I saw Nate Davis miss an openfield tackle on Kerry Joseph Nate had him lined up and would've just smacked him but he missed, if he would've just done the safe play and wrapped him up and brought him down it would've been second and long.

Overall there is a lot of improvment needed before Thursday when we head into Montreal to play the "struggling" Allouettes. I would say that both teams are in very similar situations. We both have the talent and capability to win but we're just underachieving and not playing up to the full potential.

I am still a fan of Nealon but I would focus on Marcus and let NG sit a few out, We still have a great offense but it appears that our Number 1 has stalled.

Everything is good on defense now besides the fact that I'd like to see the blitz more often on first down. In my opinion allow Nealon to call his own plays sometimes when things aren't going well and allow him to throw some long passes when the play is right. And give Holmes some touches...please! :frowning:

The Ride need to get back to their strength, running the ball, then the passing game is alot easier to execute. They could really use a receiver, because the ones they have dont cut it. Its not all Nealons fault.