If you have to pick 2

Perhaps you are right, but he re-posted a post under the title “Who would you cut?” so I could only go by that. He never mentions trading them for a DB, just that one or both could be dropped in a numbers game. I just don’t see that happening.

In any event, Bruce and Mann – who both signed a contract extension in the off-season – aren’t going anywhere. They won’t be traded; they won’t be cut. Outside of the Linebackers, Baggs and Glenn, I’d trade just about anybody before I’d trade Bruce.

And if the team is going to use Williams, wouldn’t Thigpen be deemed more expendable than Bruce or Mann? I can’t see Bruce being moved anywhere. I believe he will retire a Ti-Cat. Mann could be moved, but I don’t see it. Anyone who didn’t even sniff the field in the second half on Wednesday will be on the team.

Shocked if Kelly gets the short end of the stick.
Braintrust has invested a lot of time and energy in bringing this guy in.
How much the ex. games have over camp performance who knows but in Kelly's case, imo, it was "prove to us what we think you're already capabable of doing" rather than show us what you have like 95% of the other hopefulls.

They Have he’s been here since mini Camp in April.

Apologies, to any and all, if my earlier thoughts were confusing and appreciation to Makaveli for understanding the main idea of them. Here's what I was trying to say:

Generally, the only time a NAME PLAYER is released is after all other options to get him off the active roster have been unsuccessfully tried. All of the options I can think of are Traded, Active but Reserve, Injured, Suspended, Retired, Practice Roster and then, if all have failed, Released. By choosing my words "something go down" I was trying to cover them all.

I was also trying to emphasize something that previous posters seemed to be missing. That is that planning a CFL roster is a "numbers game" -- the number of IMPs and NIPs, both on the Roster and as Starters, the number of dollars being paid, and the number of years (both of age and experience) of the players.

Also, there's a question of whether Obie's 'Better is Better" philosophy is just for "right now" or for "now and the future." I was just saying that if the decision makers want to DRESS any one or more of -- T. Grant, C. Williams, Kelly or B. Grant -- they'll have to be doing so based on "B is B" and make "something go down" with an equal number of McDaniel, Mann or Bruce. I did not include Thigpen in that group because I expect his versatility, along with all the other "numbers" factors being in his favour, would make him a definite keeper.

Also, I didn't say or predict something was going to happen with these vets, I just said I "wouldn't be shocked" if it did. As far as who I'd be most shocked about -- it would be Bruce, then McDaniel because he's the most versatile, then Mann -- but the interest of other teams would be a strong determining factor in what might happen.

No need to apologize. It wasn’t confusing because your reason makes sense, it’s just that the players involved don’t, in my opinion.

I will say, for the record, that I would be stunned silly if Arland Bruce is not a member of this team. No numbers game excludes him. Mann could be traded, but I don’t see it. I wouldn’t be surprised if McDaniel moves, but the other two are stone-cold locks to be on the team. It would have to be something spectacular that would make the Cats part with either. Numbers game or no, the Cats will not “do something” with Arland Bruce or Maurice Mann.

I know you’re not saying it definitively, but to even speculate seems like you’re thinking about it too much. If the Cats had any desire to part either, they never would have signed them to contract extensions in the winter.

We're not too far apart in our thinking, Blogskee. You say "Mann could be traded" and you "Wouldn't be surprised if McDaniel moves." The difference then is Bruce and you are most likely right.

I don't think the Cats are shopping him around by any means but, in exploring the chances to trade some of their abundance of offensive playmakers for a need on defence, it's quite possible Bruce's name might be put forward by another club and cause some consideration by the Cats' brass, if they believe strongly enough in Kelly, Williams or B. Grant and aren't getting bites on dangling McDaniel and/or Mann.

We're not too far apart in our thinking, Blogskee. You say "Mann could be traded" and you "Wouldn't be surprised if McDaniel moves." Our difference then is on Bruce and you are most likely right.

I don't think the Cats are shopping him around by any means but, in exploring the chances to trade some of their abundance of offensive playmakers for a need on defence, it's quite possible Bruce's name might be put forward by another club and cause some consideration by the Cats' brass, if they believe strongly enough in Kelly, Williams or B. Grant and aren't getting bites on dangling McDaniel and/or Mann.

If Wayne Gretzky can traded then any player in any sport can as well - for the right package.

If in fact the TC's feel that they have a glaring weakness in an area that they feel can be significantly bolstered by trading away a player like Bruce, then you guys can't see them doing it with all of the very good young and cheap receiver talent that they now seem to have on their hands?

Exactly.
I’m not saying they should, or that I even think they will but it might be something they think about if our defense isn’t coming together like they hoped. When they signed both Mann and Bruce I don’t think they were expecting to have so much talent at receiver and such a weakness in the secondary.

No, I can't see them trading Bruce any more than I can see them trading Glenn, Baggs, Knowlton, JJ or Stala. The Gretzky analogy is a little off. That was a cash dump more than anything. Edmonton wasn't going to be able to re-sign Gretzky at what he was worth, so they traded him. Just because Gretzky was traded, doesn't mean anyone can be traded. The devil, as always, is in the details.

If Bruce is deemed tradeable -- and I don't agree that the Cats are flush at receiver; none of these guys have played a regular season game yet, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves -- what DB is out there that is worth trading Bruce for?

Blogskee - I’m not lobbying for a specific trade for any specific current TC roster player of any kind. I hope and trust however that the TC brain trust have the mindset and philosophy that no one on the roster is untouchable and that if the right package of players can be put together (ie right from the TC’s perspective for both incoming and outgoing players), that in the “net”, betters this team and gets them closer to their ultimate goal, then they pull that trigger.

They Kept all them wow

I’ll join you in a “Wow” on that. But, I’d add (they’ve kept them all) for now. Trades are rare at the cutdown, but the days and first weeks ahead may be a different story.

I Think watch these guys and Hope make trade inprove the D at DT or DE CB and DHB.

Shows how much we know. According to TiCats TV, the lowest vote getter on this poll, Aaron Kelly, is going to start on Friday.

http://www.ticats.ca/video/index/id/18215

I thought Kelly would make it … would been very shock had he been cut

I had the glasses on Belton Johnson for the first quarter and the pass blocking was solid. For the entire OLine, the run blocking seems to be a work in progress.Brian Simmons and Wayne Smith look and move exactly alike. I kept getting the two confused but then again that is easily done because I am the OLD guy. As far as the receivers go,I couldn't pick in the poll. Kelly and Grant(Bakari) both looked smooth and are big targets. I was glad to see Marquay kept. Chris Williams and Terry Grant are both explosive runners and receivers. Our depth this year looks like the Als' and that is saying alot. Sask and Edmonton both look like they could use Wilbur as a punter/kicker. Medlock has the edge but not by much.
Defensive tackle still looks weak against the run and there was little push up the middle on the pass. I sure hope McIntyre comes back from the Jets. :smiley:
Pat Lynch(the old guy)