If you could go back....

If there was one game or multiple games that you could go back in time to actually be there to see the game played....which would it be?

For me I think it would be the first ever Grey Cup, just to be a witness to history in the making.......

Also I'd like to go back to the first game I went to with my dad, unfortunately I don't remember it, and would just like to experience that again.

Well, I was born 5 months after the Riders won their Grey Cup... And I would have loved to have seen George Reed play.

1994 west semi final and west final I was at the Grey Cup that year.

Oh yeah I'd like to be at the Bombers last Grey Cup win, I can't even remember that game either lol.

Watching the team back in the Bud Grant years as well would be great.

I'd say the 1989 Grey Cup. Long live the Riders

1989 Grey Cup. May be the best Grey Cup ever played.

I'd like to go back and watch it live again. I do remember watching the game on TV but I was only 5 years old so it's fairly vague.

September 22, 2007 - Lions vs. Riders in Mosaic. 'Nuff said.

You are given the opportunity to go back and watch any game and you choose one from a week ago? I find that laughable.

Let him rub in his cheap shots, it makes him feel like more of a man. Although, to his credit it was a great game to watch.

I would have to say 1966 Grey Cup.

Or . . .

The 1987 Grey Cup may seems like it was a doozy. 38-36 Edmonton over Toronto. Too young to watch it though.

Aside from those it would have to be 1989 Grey Cup. One of, if not, the highest scoring Grey Cup in CFL history. Not to mention coming down to the last minute or so.

I have 2 options, one for a game I was at that I would love to be at again, and one that I yet around for that I would love to see in person.

The game I actually saw that I want to be at again was Aug 1, 1991 in BC Place. The Argos were in town and it was Rocket Ismail's 1st trip to BC. Problem was the Lions had a fellow by the name of Ray "the missile" Etheridge who showed up the rocket nicely. It was also the largest crown in BC Place that I have ever attended that wasnt a playoff game. Attendance was 53,527 (stuff that one Dudsell!!)

Here is a cut n paste off the Lions site.

n one of the wildest games in club history, the Lions pulled out a 52-41 OT victory after trailing 21-3 early on. In a contest that featured a return showdown between Rocket Ismail and the Lions (there were 516 return yards on the night), BC came out on top thanks to Raymond Etheridge. Toronto tied the game at 41-all with 0:24 left and pulled ahead early in overtime on a Lance Chomyc FG. Etheridge then returned the ensuing kickoff 94 yards to give the Lions the lead for good. Sun reporter Gary Kingston: “[Etheridge] burst up the middle, cut to the right off a block by Lorenzo Graham and pulled away down the sideline untouched?. Etheridge was in just his second CFL game and added: “It’s like a baby and you take your first steps. Your mother’s proud of you?. By contrast, Ismail was held to virtually nothing that night and failed to field the kickoff after Etheridge’s return in OT (BC recovered it) and the Lions were on their way to a 52-41 OT triumph.

A lil vid also! Scroll down to the game in question for the vid link!


For the game I wasnt at, the 1964 Grey Cup game....the only Lions cup win i didnt see as it happened!

I donno,
It can and has been said that the 2005 cup was the best.

I would like to the 1976 GC game, even though the Riders lost it in a heartbreaking fashion for Sask fans, it still is one the most memorable GC games in CFL history.

I'd go to two of them. Even though I saw them on TV, being there in person would have been awesome.

1st 1994 Grey Cup game with Lui kicking the winner.

2nd 2005 Grey Cup game Over time thriller. (Yeah, I know its the Eskimos, but I got to give them credit)

I went to the 2005 game, while it was great it was not the best. The whole first half was boring as hell.
Overtime for me does not necessarily mean the most exiting stuff. Having watched the 89 on tape (I did watch it live as well but i was 8 so...) I would pick it.

But thats me. And ya thats the game I would go back and see, That or the Calgary Sask game a few years back that was like 51-51. That game was exiting

51-51 Billy, thanks for the memory. (I think) That was the first year of the new overtime rules where they played four mini games instead of two. Was that one telivised, or am I thinking of another exciting high scoring affair?

I'm not sure if it was televised or not. I was there. It was great. (although I would have rather had a win)

My apologies for posting this a second time (the first time was under the topic "My 5 most memorable plays"). This definitely is the game I would most like to see...

Here is my all time play. It happened on the second game of the two game total point Eastern final in 1962 between Hamilton and Toronto.


Game One was played on a crisp sunny day in CNE Stadium, and the Argos were "flawless", according to Ti-Cat coach Jim Trimble. They held the Tabbies to a single and an unconverted touchdown, while scoring three majors themselves, and adding a field goal and a single for good measure, to take the first game 25-7. They didn't even need to win Game Two - just not lose by more than 18 points.

But the much-vaunted shotgun formation which had gotten them this far would prove to be their undoing. Rather than utilise a solid running game, which would ultimately provide better ball control, they came out of the gate passing. From the opening kickoff, there was no one in the backfield to run the ball. The Ti-Cats didn't take long to figure out that the Argos were a one-trick pony, and easily broke down the Argo backfield. Amazingly, they were only ahead 3-0 at halftime; the Argos still led by 15 points with 30 minutes to go. By the end of the third quarter, however, that lead had evaporated to one point, as the Tabbies scored two touchdowns to lead 17-0.

Early in the fourth quarter, Don Sutherin kicked a field goal, and the collapse was complete; Hamilton 27, Toronto 25, with the Argos having been outscored 20-0 on the day. But they would collect themselves long enough to kick a 47-yard single with 7_ minutes to play, and another to tie the aggregate score at 27-27.

With just under two minutes remaining, and the Tiger-Cats scrimmaging on their own 25, Ti-Cat QB Bernie Faloney inexplicably decided to throw, rather than run the ball. It was intercepted by Argo DB Stan Wallace. The Argos had the ballon the Hamilton 27-yard line with 91 seconds on the clock. Despite being outscored 20-2, they merely had to kick the ball through the end zone to win the Eastern title.

However, they decided to run the clock down first. Rote ran a quarterback sneak on first down, but it was called back on an offside penalty. On first and fifteen from the 32, Rote called his own number again, gaining three yards. On second and seven, they tried a draw play, losing two yards. Annis Stukus would later write, "The only way a draw could possibly work is if the opposition suspected a pass, and not even Tobin Rote could take a chance on a pass then." With twenty-eight seconds on the clock, they were third and fourteen on the Hamilton 31-yard line. Dave Mann came into the game to kick the winning point. What happened next would forever change the Canadian game.

Normally that would be well within Mann's range - he had almost kicked the ball to the dead-ball line from the 35 earlier. Back then, CFL end zones were 25 yards, and there was no blocking allowed on punt returns. This meant the Tiger-Cats had virtually no chance of running it out of the end zone if the punt fell short, so Trimble sent Sutherin and Faloney - both kickers - deep into the end zone to try to punt the ball back out, given the chance. No one had punted a ball out of an end zone in fifty years!

The snap came back to Mann, and he promptly booted his worst punt of the day, shanking a wobbly 40-yarder. It still came down eight yards inside the end zone, where Sutherin, gathering it up, kicked it back out. It came down just past the 30-yard line, where - incredibly - Mann caught it again, hesitated, then stepped forward and punted it back toward the end zone. This time it landed on the goal line and bounced into the hands of Faloney, who immediately took off with it.

Weaving in and out of would-be Argo tacklers, he gained the first thirty yards, according to Jay Teitel, "...at a leisurely, hypnotic speed, so that as he moved up the field he seemed to be passing the same players twice and even three times. Even when he passed mid-field and there were no Argos left to weave around, he wove. It was one of the strangest runs ever made on a football field."

Faloney ran it back 111 yards to score the winning TD. Or so it seemed. It was called back as the Ti-Cats were flagged for illegal blocking on the return.

But the damage was done. The Argos lost whatever momentum they'd managed to build up, and in the ensuing 30-minute overtime, Hamilton scored four unanswered touchdowns, winning the game 48-2, and the series 55-27.

Wild game Mike.

What a great story! Thanks for that!