If the Blow Jays stop Blowin, Where will the Argos Play?

If the Jays somehow get to a wildcard game and win it.... Where the heck are the Argos suppose to play their week 16 game? Heck this could even effect week 17.

I believe the only options are either Varsity Centre or Tim Horton's Field.

I don't see the point, aside from cost differences, of playing at a different OUA stadium that would be at least an hour away from Toronto. Might as well play at THF.
As for Varsity, well, it seats about 5,500 I believe. Not ideal at all, but it could mean the first Argonauts sold out game in decades! :lol:

MLB can schedule around a single football game. Anyone remember what happened in 92 or 93?

It's likely that they will play at THF in Hamilton. Rogers will compensate them for moving, Hamilton is happy because they get the additional rent at THF, the Argos are happy because Rogers will probably give them more money than they could have got in revenue from playing at the RC.
They will set something up like they did at the Pan Ams, show your ticket and you get on the train or free parking at THF. Free shuttle buses from TO to THF.

Ironic that the last year at the Rogers Centre they get bumped. The Jays have no say in start times or dates, the MLB doesn't do workarounds, they have the national TV audience and a tight schedule.

in 1991/92 the Argos maintained each and every home game at the RC/Skydome regardless of the Jays post season success.

difference being that the Jays were owned by Labatt's at that time while the Skydome was then a property of the City of Toronto and the ownership triumvirate of McNall/Gretzky/Candy held much sway as well.

unfortunately for the Argos, this time around the mercurial Rogers hold all the cards to do as they please.

It's MLB that hold all the cards. The TV schedule is set in stone and it's about the "prime time" on a US network. MLB will dictate to Rogers the date and the start time.

how were the Argos able keep their RC dates in 91-92 then?
does this mean MLB was more flexible during that period or that Labatt’s and the City of Toronto were unyielding?

Though not with the Jays, the Argos we're bumped in the 2004 East Semi to a Friday night due the Wiggles being in town.

They'll more likely play a different day of the week. Depending on when the Jays games are on. Keep in mind, if the Jays make the playoffs, there will be road games too. I'm sure there will be some 'wiggle' room somewhere once the sked is set :lol:

It's MLB that hold all the cards. The TV schedule is set in stone and it's about the "prime time" on a US network. MLB will dictate to Rogers the date and the start time.
[/quote]
how were the Argos able keep their RC dates in 91-92 then?
does this mean MLB was more flexible during that period or that Labatt's and the City of Toronto were unyielding?
[/quote]
The current MLB Playoff Procedures were put in place in 2012. As stated in the above Post, MLB has total control of Playoff games and times.

In 92 and 93 (and 89 - when the Jays made the ALCS) - the turf at Rogers Centre was a kind that could easily be rolled up and they could convert between baseball and football configuration in less than 24 hours. Now with the type of turf it takes almost 48 hours to switch from one to the other.

The Argos would almost certainly have to move their Tuesday October 6th game against Ottawa if the Jays end up hosting the Wildcard game because it would likely be scheduled for that day. With Ottawa playing on October 1 and the Argos scheduled to play in Montreal on Thanksgiving Monday October 12 it is not like there is much room there to shift the date of that October 6th game at all.

My advice if that were to happen. Move it to THF, charge no admission and just ask for a donation to a food bank for anybody wanting to go to the game like the NFL did when the Bills had to move one of their home games to Detroit when Ralph Wilson Stadium got buried under 7 feet of snow with that freakish lake effect storm they had last November in the Buffalo area.

:thup:

It’s not a single football game. The Argonauts have 4 home games in October.

This article is from last year but nothing has changed:

[url=http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/argos/2014/08/13/argos_could_be_without_home_in_october_if_blue_jays_make_playoffs.html]http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/a ... yoffs.html[/url]

Varsity is to small and it doesn't have any concessions or a liquor license. It is also lacking in washrooms.

BMO Field isn't ready for CFL football so the only option is THF.

Don't forget that it now takes 48 hours to convert the stadium from baseball to football or vice versa.

They would have to refund anyone who has bought tickets to the game too. Including Season Ticket holders.

This whole topic is a non starter anyway. The Jays will choke and miss the playoffs as usual. It is what they are good at, even during their heyday they were as good at choking as winning (1985, 1989, 1991 and of course the great collapse of 1987).

The Argos home dates are extremely secure. :cowboy:

I would generally agree, but the CFL put a curse on itself last spring when they screwed over their players.. The league has had nothing but gloom and doom ever since. There seems to be a black cloud over the league's head ever since.. Just check out this forum. Hardly anyone is even talking about the games. The best thing to happen this year is the emergence of Kato, and that came at the expensive of Bridge. Last season was a complete write off and this year hasn't been much better. We have definately had fewer dropped passes and closer games, but the ridiculously high amount of penalties last season has actually gotten worse this season. Playing in front of tiny crowds all season has not helped at all this season either.
The Blue Jays kicking the Argos out and forcing the Argos to play in front of 5000 people will just be the latest in a 18 month span of negativity.
This all stems from last spring when Cohon went onto national TV and basicly told the country that the CFL is a joke and that it was a mom and pop league. Then the CFL gave the players about 20% of the new TV money and let the quality of play diminish because of a 16 hour work week.

Bungle, this forum means squat. I'm taking a break from talking about games here, just enjoying the games as much if not more than ever though. This forum is really a nothing place to gauge anything by other than at times, it breeds negativity to the point I just don't want to come here. But the games and the battle for the Grey Cup is as keen for me as ever.

The black cloud is in your head I'd say.

A cloud named Bungle.

Hardly anyone is even talking about the games. The best thing to happen this year is the emergence of Kato, and that came at the expensive of Bridge.
Kato's greatness is a creation of rod stewards commentary, and excellent receivers. He doesn't have the accuracy, and is bailed out constantly by all star pass catchers.
Last season was a complete write off and this year hasn't been much better.
Yes, after November 30th, the season wasn't worth the time investment
the ridiculously high amount of penalties last season has actually gotten worse this season.
this issue has about a million threads to explore this topic already. I'll do my best Bungle impersonation and say that they've all been started by rogers employees disguised as CFL fans to try and destroy the league. it's just so obvious it's painful.
Playing in front of tiny crowds all season has not helped at all this season either.
Also, attendance has it's own thread.

Bungle is like the bitter old man down the street; he always has a scowl on his face, only comes out to complain about the kids playing too close to his house and no matter which way the wind blows the present sucks and the past was paradise. In other words;

http://www.theinquirer.net/img/7574/oldie2.jpg?1241332100

I'm not happy with some of the things he mentions and I am watching less, but I do still follow it, watch the highlights at least and if not for a boring 2nd half I likely would have watched the entire Argo/Ti-Cat game.

Bungle loves to focus on the negative as if there is no positives like, far far fewer officials conferences after flags, a quicker pace to the game (even with the flag fest games are under 3 hours), the new extra point rule, players able to step in for injured stars (Harris, Cato (not Kato that would be the Green Hornets side kick), Calgary's O linemen) among other things.

Bungle is just like your Grampa, nod your head and say yes Grampa when he speaks and eventually he'll fall asleep on his own.