If the Banks TD had counted ...

It's a long off-season, so here's some mindless speculation.

Imagine there was no penalty, and Banks returned the punt for a TD. We go up by 3 points with approximately 30 seconds left. People are saying it would have been a game-winning return, but I'm sure the Stamps would have had something to say about that.

There's enough time for at least 5 or 6 plays. After the kick-off, Calgary would need to march 30-40 yards to have a good shot at a field goal for the tie. Or about 80 yards for the winning TD.

Mitchell was having the game of his life, until we finally started shutting them down late in the game. But they were playing to protect a lead by that point.

Who thinks we would have stopped them, and won the game without going into overtime?

all true but our Defence was shutting them out in the 2nd half, woulda liked to see how that scenario played out :cry: :cry:

Imagine a team being able to manage the clock to get 5 or 6 plays in 30 seconds. Hmmmmmm

I think maybe 2 or 3 at the most. To get 5 or 6 plays off that would need some seriously flawless execution. Receivers getting out of bounds, timeouts, etc.

I agree that 5 or 6 plays would have been stretching things. One thing to remember is the return would take up at least 5 or 6 seconds by itself. Also Hamilton was playing shutdown D in the second half, lots of 2 and outs. If we had gone prevent though..... :roll:

I've thought about this and IF the stamps came down and scored, then we would be calling this the best finish to a GC ever. Even without, IF the banks return had counted, it still would be called the best GC finish ever.

If the TD stood and the Cats held the Stamps from scoring, the complaint from Calgary would be the Refs missed an obvious illegal block on their player and the Refs decided the outcome of the Grey Cup.

The head of CFL officials would make a statement that it was a judgement call and he believes the correct call was made.

I didn't think I had to justify, on a CFL forum, the statement that you can run 5 or 6 plays in the last 30 or so seconds of a game. But if I must, these are the 5 plays we ran in that exact timeframe.

Offensive penalty on Hamilton, Taylor Reed, Illegal Block, 10 yards. 0:32
  1. Zach Collaros sacked by Shawn Lemon for -9 yards. 0:25

2. Zach Collaros pass to Andy Fantuz to the Hamilton 23 for 20 yards. 0:22

3. Zach Collaros pass to Andy Fantuz to the Hamilton 32 for 9 yards. 0:13

4. Zach Collaros pass to Bakari Grant to the Hamilton 54 for 22 yards. 0:06

5. Zach Collaros pass incomplete. 0:00

If buts were candy and nuts.......
However there is no doubt in my mind the Cats would have won.

1321/10-H12 (00:35) Z. COLLAROS Team Loss (9 yds), S. LEMON Sack (9 yds), Tackle: S. LEMON 1332/19-H3 (00:30) Z. COLLAROS Completed Pass to A. FANTUZ (20 yds), Tackle: B. SMITH 1341/10-H23 (00:24) Z. COLLAROS Completed Pass to A. FANTUZ (9 yds), Tackle: J. WALL 1352/1-H32 (00:16) Z. COLLAROS Completed Pass to B. GRANT (22 yds), Tackle: J. WALL 1361/10-H54 (00:06) Z. COLLAROS Incomplete Pass intended for L. TASKER
Not that hard, actually.

As for what Calgary could have done, that would have depended on whether they could have gotten the Rogers on Stewart matchup they were exploiting early in the game.

If the Banks TD had counted ........ we wouldn't have an eleven page long discussion called 'the penalty' over a pretty much text book block in the back penalty call. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well since we’re talking what ifs here,here is the ultimate what if question…What if the punt return happened with the same amount of time on the clock BUT It occurred earlier on in the game ? For example,same play,same result,same penalty but it occurs in the 1rst quarter or just before the half or in the 3rd quarter…Would we be still talking about it as much as we are ? The answer is most likely NO. But because it happened at the end of the game,different story. Timing as they say is everything
But anyway back to the OP original question,the score would have been 23-20 Cats at the time if there was no flag and the td counted. I personally think that the Stamps would’ve moved it close enough for a game timing fg the game would’ve went into OT and we would still be waiting on the outcome and instead we would be talking about the longest Grey Cup game on record as the game would still be being played out right up to this morning.The game would be into the the 20th round of OT play with the teams locked up in an 100-100 tie. :slight_smile: Okay I admit that’s just Silly talk,but in reality who really knows what would’ve happened ? It’s over,it’s done,let’s move on folks,it is what it is and nothing is going to change it. :cowboy:

[quote="ExPat"
Imagine there was no penalty, and Banks returned the punt for a TD. We go up by 3 points with approximately 30 seconds left. People are saying it would have been a game-winning return, but I'm sure the Stamps would have had something to say about that.

There's enough time for at least 5 or 6 plays. After the kick-off, Calgary would need to march 30-40 yards to have a good shot at a field goal for the tie. Or about 80 yards for the winning TD.

I think that your estimation of 30 seconds remaining might be out of line a bit. I remember that immediately following Bank's great run, saying to my wife, "The Grey Cup is ours." At that time I noticed 27 seconds remaining. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that is what I thought I saw.

Even with 30 seconds to go, our guys were so keyed up for the win that our defense would have been at their best with every pass receiver covered like a blanket. I would say the win would have been 90% ours.

Calgary would have to rush like demons to get 4 plays in with no huddles.

There was 35 seconds on the clock after the Banks play.

So we would have kicked off - lets say Calgary get an average return out to close to the 35 yard line and the return would have run about 5 - 7 seconds off the clock. So 28 - 30 seconds left Calgary at their own 35 needing about 30-35 yards to get into field goal range.

In 28-30 seconds they could easily run 3 plays before a field goal attempt and possibly even four plays.

As others have mentioned after Collaros got sacked on the first play after the penalty we were around our own 5 yard line with something like 28 seconds left - and we got out across the 50 in the next three plays with the fourth play the incompletion to end the game - so yes Calgary would have had time to possibly get into field goal range if it came to that..

In the 1989 Grey Cup there were 40 seconds left in the game after Tony Champion’s TD.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/vOKf8tTdnL8eMuVkp4HRdA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYwMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2014-11-24/53346710-7401-11e4-ad72-8bde32c60e3f_Tony-Champion-1989-catch.jpg

That was and still is the best catch ever in football.

Agree ArgoT. Especially when we found out later he made that catch with broken ribs. Incredible!

That TD tied the game. The Riders only needed ONE POINT to win. Calgary needed a FG to tie and a TD to win.

^^^

But Saskatchewan won it with a FG, by getting into FG range in under a minute.