If the 2010 season is played at the old Empire Stadium site?

I would really like to hear from as many of the season's ticket holders as possible. Please consider responding:

If the 2010 season is played at the old Empire Stadium site will you:

1. Renew your seasons tickets?
  2. Suggest that we get a discount?
  3. Ask that you be allowed to "surrender" your seats to someone else with the condition that you can renew them again for the 2011 season?
  4. Be willing to forfeit your current seats and take your chances for the 2011 season?

It is not just about watching the games during inclement weather. Personally I have no problems with that but there are many considerations to take into account.

For my wife and me we have not decided yet. It may be 1, 2, or 3 but it will not be #4.

I will never give up my seasons tickets as long as I can afford them.

I'm going to be renewing my tickets for several reasons:

1. I've never been to an outdoor CFL game and would like to experience it.
  2. The PNE is a much more convenient location for me since I'm from North Van.
  3. I'm banking on others giving up their seats so that I can move up closer to the field.
  4. Out of the nine home games this year (including pre-season), I don't think it rained once. I can only assume it's going to be the exact same thing next year.

Overall, I'm really looking forward to it and I think the Lions will get a lot of exposure out of it (what with people from the streets being able to see and hear what's going on).

Awesome thread

1 RENEW!

I think most die-hard Lions fans know that the team needs every cent it can get and don't have a big problem with the current prices. Although a freeze on prices for the PNE year would be a nice 'thank you' to seasons ticket holders. - Oddly enough I think the experience for the older fans would be worth even more just for the nostalgia.
Plus, if holders don't want to watch at Empire Stadium I see no reason why they shouldnt get to hold on to their seats for 2011 back in BC Place. I can't see them losing many people for next season, but for the few they do lose it would be a good way to get them back.

However beagle I'm not sure what your wife will say after sitting with you in the rain for a game. But I'm sure... ummm... I'll be sleeping on the couch afterwards. So let me practice right now... "I'm sorry dear, yes it is my fault that it rained" :x

I'm definitely renewing and will be there rain or shine. I'm interested to see what a Lions game is like outdoors.

Great topic Beaglehound!
Like you ... I am sitting on the fence right now regarding next season.

For starters, there is no way current season tickets holders should not be able to retain their seats for 2011 if they don't opt for Empire. Given how much their season ticket base has dipped this season, these are valued and loyal customers and should be treated that way — not given an ultimatum.

I'm intrigued with returning to Empire but also wonder how quickly the novelty might wear off after 2 or 3 games.
• Parking will be an absolute nightmare given what I recall going to games with my parents. There is nowhere near enough spots on the PNE grounds for a crowd of 30,000 and it's not like there is a Skytrain station nearby. The Lions should have a special parking area for season ticket holders where you pay up front for all 10 home games and are guaranteed a spot.
• I'm guessing the temporary stands will be bench style seating (like the old Empire!) with tight spacing regardless of where you are sitting. I'm sure the washrooms will be quite the adventure as well.

That said, I think it will be an easy sell for the Lions and be one of the No. 1 things to do in the Lower Mainland next summer. Hopefully this will bring a lot of casual fans to the games who will consider season tickets for 2011.

I see where you’re coming from Miles_9 but I can’t say I agree. I would rank seat priority (high to low) for 2011 according to:

• 2009 season ticket holders who renew in 2010
  • new season ticket holders for 2010
  • 2009 season ticket holders who chose not to renew in 2010
  • non-season ticket holders

Why should a “fan” who steps away from the team for a year be given higher priority than a new fan who comes on board and is willing to put money down. Priority always goes to existing season ticket holders - why should that change now?

Given that Old Empire will only be ~30K, this only affects 1 in 2 seats at BC Place. By not renewing, you’re taking the risk that someone else might snatch up your seats. If you don’t want to take that risk, renew. You can always auction off (ticket-exchange) tickets for games, give them away as gifts, or suck it up for one year and attend the games.

"Why should a "fan" who steps away from the team for a year be given higher priority than a new fan who comes on board and is willing to put money down. Priority always goes to existing season ticket holders - why should that change now?

Because of their loyalty Mr. Bigglesworth. That has to be worth something, especially if you have been a long time ticket holder. AND because of a number of other factors. Seat prices are set on the basis of demand, location, rent and increased player costs etc. as well as the venue the game is being played in. As a fan, part of my 'value' is not just good entertainment from the teams but good entertainment in a climate controlled environment with good amenities like concessions and washroom facilities. Except for the fact that the games will be outdoors the rest are unknowns. There also is the question of the actual seating itself. Some fans are handicapped or have other physical/medical challenges. B.C. Place has elevators and access without the need for any stairs. How will these people be accommodated or should they even be accommodated? How high up will my seat be on these "temporary" structures? How structurally sound will "temporary" seating be over a 5 month period, sometimes in miserable weather? I'm not a structural engineer. I've no idea. But 2 banks of seating with 10,000 seats is an aweful lot of "temporary" seats. There is also the issue of accessibility. How much of today's fan base renew their seasons tickets because of the proximity of B.C. Place to where they live? I don't know. Maybe lots, maybe not so many. How do they deal with providing sufficient washroom facilities for 30 000 fans. Even at B.C. Place between the 20 yard lines it is a nightmare with huge line-ups. I can just see 1000 crazed beer happy guys lining up outside of the only 5 Johnny-on-the-spot facilities at the end of the 1st quarter.lol

Given that Old Empire will only be ~30K, this only affects 1 in 2 seats at BC Place. By not renewing, you're taking the risk that someone else might snatch up your seats. If you don't want to take that risk, renew. You can always auction off (ticket-exchange) tickets for games, give them away as gifts, or suck it up for one year and attend the games."

Yes, those are reasonable options. But unless a brand new stadium is going to go up I think a lot of people on the inside know that the current fan base is going to be "inconvenienced" and is going to have to "suck it up" as you say...but it may be for 2 seasons, not just one.

Part of me is looking forward to going to the games next season. Part of me is very apprehensive. Hopefully my concerns will be put at ease in the next few months.

I hear your points, and I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. It will be an inconvenience for most fans next year, but it will be worth it in the end. (Personally, I walk to the games now and next year I'll have to drive and deal with traffic and parking etc. etc. - no big deal.) The fans that are with the team through the tougher times are the fans that should be rewarded when prospects improve, I think.

What I suggested before I beleive is still the best way to do it - if you don't renew next year and if a new season ticket holder snatches up your seats, you'll still be on a priorty list for seats. Its not the end of the world to move a few rows.

Perhaps a way around this is to give current season ticket holders the option to put a deposit down now for the 2011 season if they don't want to renew for 2010.

Same here - I’m not old enough to have gone to a game at Empire, but it should be interesting next year to see games outside. I just hope the weather cooperates.

And I hope I can keep my same seats at BC Place for 2011.

I think putting down on a deposit to hold your seats for the 2011 is fair but as I said earlier there is no way they can afford to alienate long time season ticket holders by saying they must be on board for Empire or lose their location back at BC Place. Even with an open roof in 2 years, the Lions will always have too many season tickets to sell in 59,000 seat stadium to piss anyone off.

Word in the Province this morning is we should know more about the move to Empire as soon as next week with a retro theme to the entire season including unis form the 1950s and 1970s. The story also said capacity will be 32,000 (man, that's a lot of temporary seats). Earlier reports said the seats were coming from the various Olympic venues. There was also talk the sideline seats would be covered (like the old Empire configuration) and they were leaning towards going with Fieldturf to avoid the potential wear and tear that goes with natural grass, especially in the fall.

Wow! They may as well build a new stadium! I’m trying to visualize what a “temporary” stadium with 32 000 seats, partially covered would look like and how much time would be needed to construct it. Too bad someone did not have the foresight to keep old Empire Stadium and renovate where needed. Or was it in that bad a shape?

The projected cost to replace B.C. Place’s stadium roof is projected at $460 million. And this is just a projected cost. Who knows what it will finally cost? I hope it is worth it.

I wonder what it is going to cost to pay for a temporary stadium and who will bear the cost of that?

Ironically, the Lions were able to play at Empire Stadium while their new home was being constructed. [B.C. Place] back in the mid 80s. But no one thought that should something go wrong with the roof or the structure of B.C. Place that it would create major problems and that the Lions would need a temporary home. No one thought that the WhiteCaps might be looking for a home. I know it is all hindsight but had Empire Stadium been left standing it would have been a piece of cake to deal with this.

Well the stands would have needed work. And it didnt make sense to fix it considering after the Dome was built then nobody would be playing there anyway.

They also (and more importantly) needed a large portion of the Eastern side of the ground for putting in the highway tunnel.

$10 million paid entirely by PAVCO. They even included it in their new total for the retractable roof.

You seem to not be a very loyal fan. Maybe the Lions can do without you. The team NOT playing in BC Place in 2010 is a sure thing. The Lions are just my 2nd team and I would never even think of doing the things you suggest.

“You seem to not be a very loyal fan. Maybe the Lions can do without you. The team NOT playing in BC Place in 2010 is a sure thing. The Lions are just my 2nd team and I would never even think of doing the things you suggest.? by zenstate

Zenstate, Are your toxic remarks just a personality thing with you or is it a comprehension thing as well? What part of my last sentence in my initial posting did you not comprehend?

By the way, I see no where in my initial posting a suggestion that the 2010 season might still be played in B.C. Place. Perhaps you need to think before you speak.

Actually I am looking forward to the outdoor venue..... the way the game should be played!! That also goes for the 2011 season when they can open the roof... I am sort of tired of the dome, bad lighting, sound and I don't know about you folks but is always smells musty in there... maybe it is all the spilled beer over the years!!

I’m with you LeoFan on the retractable roof thing. Can’t wait. I’ve grown very tired of looking up at that ugly dirty looking interior. I do hope the retractable roof will be substantial large and really open up wide. The opening is suppose to be 100m across. That is more than the length of a football field but from the video it doesn’t appear that much of the roof will retract. Maybe it is perspective. Here’s the link to see what the retractable roof is suppose to look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYG4PPYiJA