If I where Commissioner I would.....

There a thread in Mail CFL Fourm for this also but I wanted do one here.

If I where Commissioner I would.......

(1)Do away with Neg lists on American Talent
Have two Drafts One in march for Canadian Tallent Player (must be living in Canada)
2nd Draft after the NFL Draft for American Players and Canadians Playing the US.
ever play not taken in Draft become a Free agent and anyone can sign them
Canadian Draft would be 5 rounds Us Draft would be 10 Rounds.

(2) 4 Point Field Goals Any thing over 50 yards

(3) Do away with the Crossover playoff format (The grey cup should always be east vs West )

(4) Expand to Quebec City and One Team out west to get us to 12 Teams.

(5) Move the sallary cap up to 6 Million. and add a Roster Spot for a Canadian QB
The time has come to Get Canadians back into QB Spot.

(6)push the roster up to 50 men adding 4 more spots for Canadians. Rest would be Us Players.
Team have tough time juggling there roster putting up to 50 would only help

(7 )change the overtime formate back two 10 mins halfs I hate the current format

1. Negotiation lists are a GOOD thing. Keep it the way it is.

2. VERY interesting idea.

3. I agree, but there are those who want the 6 "best" teams in the playoffs.

4. That would equal 10 teams.

5. Wit MAYBE two teams making money this year, how do you expect owners to be able to cough up another $1.8M? The other thing is that, except for Russ Jackson, Canadian (CIS) QB's do not get the coaching, experience, and competition necessary in order to be able to compete in the CFL. You would also be hard pressed to find 8 capable NI QB's anyhow. The second thing is something Lancaster said: "A Canadian QB would get too much media attention and put too much pressure on a coach to play him", or words to that effect.

6. See the first sentence of #5 above.

7. Agree totally.

My take:

1. Disagree. Keep the neg lists. As for drafting non-import players, good luck with that. Automatic restriction of player movement to Canada will ensure a steady pipeline of talent to the Arena League, UFL, etc. automatically. Living in Regina should be a choice, not a must-otherwise-no deal for an aspiring player wanting options. Just saying.

2. A field goal is a field goal. Why reward a team for not moving the ball further down the field against an opponent? Should a team be rewarded an extra point for being penalized into a 50-yard-plus range for example? Why not make 60-yard TD passes 8 points plus a convert? The Madden-card mentality belongs on Madden PS3, not in the CFL.

3. Disagree until we get to ten teams. The days of a 5-11 team having any easy access to the playoffs has ended in the crossover era. This year, we may get a 5-13 team. It's an anomaly that I want to see end via expansion in the league to maintain the East-West character to the Grey Cup -- not by simply tossing the crossover aside. Not yet.

4. Ottawa, Quebec City, Moncton/Halifax...get the league to ten first. The league has to solidify the Canadian-content player pool along with the CIS and junior football system before it's "race to 12" IMHO.

5. A salary cap makes competitive-balance sense if it limits ALL teams somewhat. Moving to $6 million or more in cap terms ensures that certain teams with stadia and market advantages can try to buy a championship the the good ol' ( bad ol' ?) days and would affect the league's stability, IMHO.

A Canadian QB roster spot IS a great idea. We need to change the designated import rules to allow for easier access onto the field for homebrew talent. Over time, we could see an influx of young Canadian pivots and eventually the development of stars.

1. A 50-man roster plus PR? Again, the metrics of that are not good for the league from a financial viewpoint, IMHO.

2. I prefer this overtime format. I'm a traditionalist, but I do believe that at its best, this OT approach has been riveting and gone way past my initial expectations. The Edmonton-Montreal 2005 GC, the Saskatchewan OT classics of recent years...it's been great!

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

For the record the 4 points for a 50+ yard FG is not Onknight's idea. It's an idea he obviously got from NFL Europa as that is exactly what they did.

Gotcha. After Warner left Europe for the Rams, my zeal in following how the Frankfurters did against the Claymores waned. LOL It's the slippery slope to gimmickry that I do not like. :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

(1)IMO Neg list are crutch for a weak Scouting Dept. Do away them
Let Teams add more scouts and personal so find Jems then Draft them.

(2)50+ Yard kicks are going away from the game due to kick Return Game
today Returners cause less and Less Teams to Trying 50 yard Plus Kicks
add an Extra Point will keep this kicks in our game.

(3)I don't like cross never have Tradation Demands you keep it east vs West I never want to see a BC Calgary Grey cup..

(4) Quebec is football Hot Bed it needs two Teams and 1 more out west would ballace the league
Hamilton Toronto Ottawa Montreal Quebec City Hailfax
BC Edmonton Calgary Saskatchewan Moosejaw Winnipeg

(5) Every Team would be = Footing they could spend to the cap.

6 The Practice roster would go away 50 Men in Total.

7 I hate the overtime format

Agree but still a good Idea with way the kick Return game is
50 yard plus kick are not being done cause of the Return game

Moose Jaw? :? Where the hell did this come from?

Saskatoon bashers. :wink:

This thread idea brought to you by somebody else in the CFL Talk forum,

http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62073

Some expansion options/flyers for the league -- by metro population -- thrown out just for the sake of throwing them out there:

Ottawa–Gatineau Ontario/Quebec CMA 1,130,761
Quebec City (Lévis) Quebec CMA 715,515
London Ontario CMA 457,720
Kitchener (Cambridge, Waterloo) Ontario CMA 451,235
St. Catharines–Niagara (Niagara Falls, Welland) Ontario CMA 390,317
Halifax Nova Scotia CMA 372,858
Oshawa (Whitby, Clarington) Ontario CMA 330,594
Victoria (Saanich) British Columbia CMA 330,088
Windsor (Tecumseh, LaSalle, Lakeshore) Ontario CMA 323,342
Saskatoon Saskatchewan CMA 233,923
St. John's (Mount Pearl, Conception Bay South) Newfoundland and Labrador CMA 181,113
Kelowna (West Kelowna) British Columbia CMA 162,276
Abbotsford (Mission) British Columbia CMA 159,020
Moncton (Dieppe, Riverview) New Brunswick CMA 126,424

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_metropolitan_areas_in_Canada]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_th ... _in_Canada[/url]

Obviously some on the list are territorially entwined with existing teams. Market suitability and corporate footprints also widely vary. Lack of CFL-ready stadia is a major factor at disqualifying many from even a whiff at an expansion bid.

Since Siberia is not a likely option, Moose Jaw (Saskatchewan 33,360) and Fort St. John (British Columbia CA 25,136) could do rock-papers-scissors for being Option #20 in the sweepstakes. The winner could meet Stratford in an octagon somewhere. LOL :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Out of the 14, only four are in western Canada. I think that is the problem with getting to 12 teams, the population is mostly in eastern Canada, so finding a sixth west team would be very difficult. I say let the concentration be on getting to 10 first. We can all worry about the Moose Jaws and the Medicine Hats of the world 30 years from now. :lol:

Ten is my immediate hope within the next five-to-ten years.

Twelve might be the outer limit down the road before one goes loopy and floats US expansion (ackkkk) again. LOL If we are talking a Canadian Football League re ratio integrity and rules, twelve might be the wall.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Ten teams would be great. Think about it in terms of population. Canada's population is, roughly, 34 million people. Ten teams means that there would be one team for every 3.4 million people.

The US, by comparison, has, roughly, 307 million people. The NFL has 32 teams. That means one team for every, roughly, 9.6 million people.

I know it seems like a small thing, but there would be more teams per capita by nearly a 3:1 ratio if the CFL went to ten franchises.

I would....

Find a safer football helmet: one that stays on players heads instead of coming off very easily. I've seen so many players in recent years lose their head gear. It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed because their helmet came off and they suffered severe head trauma accordingly.

Increase the likelihood of a team trying an uber long field goal by not penalizing a team by allowing the return team to scrimmage at the last offensive line of scrimmage if they concede a single. Also, on field goal attempts of more than 50 yards, allow the return team to return the ball to no farther than their own 25 yard line. This would reduce the absolutely comical attempt by 300 + pound O lineman trying to bring down a real speedster returner. (I guess you can see that I really like the drama of a 50 + yard field goal attempt).

Keep the negotiation list but have it public instead of private. This would align with the public Canadian draft and would allow fans to drool over some of the possibilities of marquee players possibly playing for their team in the future.

This is only round one. Once I think of more things I would do I will share them.

I don't think the helmet is necessarily the problem. I think the players who only do up two of their four straps must take some blame too. I know it's not the same thing, but when I played high school football, those helmets hurt like hell when I was taking it off. There was absolutely no way that that thing was going to fly off. I think the players, to some extent, don't wear them properly.

I can say that I do not like the idea of players not being allowed to return a missed FG longer than 25 yards. It takes away the risk-reward of attempting a long FG.

I like this one. It's funny, but when a really big name goes on a team's neg list (Ex. JaMarcus Russell) it somehow gets out to the public. We all knew that Russell was on the Cats' neg list. How does that happen? Who leaks it? And if the really big names are going to get leaked anyway, might as well put them all out there. I am with you 100% on this one.

Moose Jaw. Population just under 36,000. 45 minute drive from Regina, home of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Just curious how big a stadium they'd need. I guess if the entire city population came out to the game....

There are actually two salary caps, a maximum and a minimum. Would you raise the minimum as well? If so, half the teams Iif not more) would immediately fold. And if not, those teams in big markets would be able to afford to bring in higher priced players in the hopes of dominating the league. The salary caps are there to ensure all teams have comparable talent, leading to better competition.

PR players are paid much less than those on the 46-man roster. See my response to #5.

Me too. I'd rather see two short halves, maybe 3 to 4 minutes each. I don't like shoot-outs in hockey, and I don't like them in football.

Probably a number of things, but here are a couple of things:

• Work on expanding to one more city after Ottawa ASAP. Having an odd number of teams really screws things up

• This one is a more for rules changes. I would like to see pass interference calls that affect a play by more than 15 yards be allowed to be reviewable. Reviews are usually pretty quick, these plays are tough to call, and they can be game changers.

PJ

They could start looking here,

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/building-a-better-helmet/article1754363/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... le1754363/[/url]

As in Kurt Warner? I always thought it was the AFL he played in before the NFL.