If Halifax gets the Commonwealth bid ...

35 000 would be great, cuz when they host a Grey Cup, they wouldn't have TOO much trouble to expand it to 45 000.

i'd like to see a stadium built on Halifax's ocean front so there is a good view to add to the atmosphere of the place...give it that 'special' feeling that keeps 'em comming back.

CFL team should be the 'Halifax Huskees' with a logo of the st.mary's huskies 'M' with the huskie head...but just the huskie head....would look good center field...should make an agreement to share that part of the logo ( then neither team would look outta place using the stadium ). fans of the st.mary's huskies would have an immediate bond with the CFL franchise.

My guess is that the stadium would have about 25000 seats along the sidelines with about 10-15000 temporary seats put up around the ends of the 400 metre track for the games.

if they get a stadium like that, Montreal, with 20002 to 25000 at Molson, is gonna be going a lot of this: :oops:

It's not enough for Halifax to be Canada's bid city. There will be no money for stadiums or facilities until they are named as the site of the games.

Hamilton was Canada's bid city for the 2010 games, and there were all sorts of plans for upgrades and new facilities if we had gotten it. But New Delhi got those games (under suspicious circumstances) and Hamilton got no federal or provincial money.

Because Hamilton came so close for the 2010 games, they are the frontrunner to get the 2014 games. That's the way the Commonwealth Games committee works. New Delhi just missed getting the games for 2006, and were therefore the sentimental favourite when they went up against Hamilton a couple of years ago. They gave the games to New Delhi, even though Hamilton had the better bid. They will give the games to Hamilton, if Hamilton gets Canada's nod, because they know that they should have given it to them four years earlier.

It is my understanding that the stadium will be ready in time for the games, and will not be used by a CFL team until after the games are over.

How do you know the way the Committe works? Halifax has just as good plans drawn up. I dont think it matters how close they came last time. There is new compitition. It makes more sense to look at what each city has planned. Not how they did in the last bid, but as you said they didn't get them.

GO HALIFAX!

^ To be sure, no one really knows, but I would guess that the stadium would be built long before 2014. From what I've heard, Halifax is the favoured bid right now (for one thing, Ontario has to fund the Ottawa, Hamilton, and York bids, while NS only has one to deal with). The proposed stadium's capacity is min 25000 and max 45000, whether this would be "temporary seats" or something a bit more elaborate, I'm not sure. Shannon Park (where it is to be built) sits basically under the MacKay Bridge on the Dartmouth waterfront.

Edit: according to the poll on this site, at least, Halifax is definitely the favoured bid. Most people outside Hamilton, York and Ottawa seem to favour Halifax. Of course I guess it all comes down to the bid committee... unfortunatley the weather was pretty bad the day they came to inspect but from what I've heard it wasn't too much of a problem.

Yeah, except for the weather it was supposed to have gone really well.
They are building it in Shannon Park? There are a couple places it could have been better placed. Oh well. That's not a bad spot I guess.

GO HALIFAX!!!

Well, I can see how that would make Hamilton the forerunner ... but Toronto kept bidding for the Olympics, and never got it, so maybe that sort of "luck" will work against Hamilton :wink: (nothing against Hamilton, I just really want to see a team in Halifax).
I've heard that Canada is the clear favourite over Nigeria or Scotland, either way ...
Well, I won't be too surprised, then, if Hamilton wins it ....

who would choose hamilton to represent canada???...hamilton is the armpit of ontario.

Haha. Yeah, why pick Hamilton when you could pick HALIFAX!!!!