If Glenn signs, who is the odd QB out?

So what happens in training camp and the pre-season if Betts or Meyer appear to be the superior QBs?
The coaching staff will be evaluating all 5 QBs, they don't make decisions on past performance its what you do now. Glenn may come out on top and Quinton may be history, who knows??
Lets just wait for the training camp and pre-season.

Obie's job is to create competition in TC. He's done that with the QB's. May the best man win.

I now what you’re saying. It’s just that I don’t think that a “spark” is what a team is looking for. In other words, a spark means he’s proven nothing, which is my point. Not necessarily his fault, just that he really hasn’t had a true opportunity in my books. Not enough, anyway.

I’ve talked to a few Winnipeg Fans and they like him more than Glenn, maybe we can trade him for
Goodspeed or one of their receivers. :thup:

I must have been watching different games than some of the fans here, Glen looked really bad last year. Now here we are again taking another teams cast offs and dumping a talented rookie to make room for him. I saw good signs in our QB situation last year now were going to put Glen in the game ahead of talented rookie. We don't need Bummer cast offs. :thdn:

Bugsy, you must have not been reading the things that O'bie has been saying all along. Let me put it to you in as simple a manner as possible:

HE WAS SIGNED TO BE PORTER'S BACKUP!!!

Fair 'nuff?

So would it have been better to start the year with four rookies at QB?

Keep in mind Kurt Warner was signed by Arizona a couple years ago under similar circumstances.

Glen #1 hands down

Meyer will be gone .

According to an article by Drew Edwards in today's edition of The Hamilton Spectator, the Ticats, who now have six quarterbacks on the roster, would prefer to bring only four of them to the main training camp. Therefore, two of them will be probably be released by the end of the mini-camp to be held a few days before the main training camp, if not earlier than that. Obie has stated that a final decision has not yet been made by the coaching staff on whether to bring Richie Williams to camp.

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/534129

The only QB to perform better than Williams in the time he has been a Ticat is Porter, If Porter is #1 and Glen is his exp backup then they will not keep Williams because he is to Good to be holding a clipbaord as # 3 SO count on the Ticats making a Trade to get O/D line depth , Imo a good trade would be to the Args for their #1 draft pick :cowboy:

Richie is unfortunately not a very good QB for the CFL game.....niuce guy, great athlete, but he has a strange delivery, poor arm strength, cant throw deep. In essense he is an RB who can throw a bit. Great for NCAA D2...not so good for here....

As far as trades, well we are going back to the old Timmy Chang thing....if a guy isn't good enough to be a 3rd string QB on a 3-15 team welll....I dont think that he will fetch more than a bag of kicking tees.

What does a 3rs string QB actually do??

I think whoever shows the most potential, and can hold for FGs and PATs will be the man.

Richie was from the old guard.
He will be let go well before camp starts.
There are only so many reps and with Porter being so inexperienced he will need a lot of them in camp.
Glenn will need to show that he still has it.
I think Trafalis will only get a limited look-see because the staff has had him around for a year.
From what I have read about Betts and Meyer they both have a great deal of potential.
What a difference a year makes.
This time last year nobody put much thought in to Porter, and now he is the big favorite heading in to camp!

Williams is not a 3rd string qb,just doesnt fit into Ticats Plans.

In practice he used for “reps” for the defence by simulating the oppposition’s QB and offensive tendencies. Not a valueless role at all and a great way to learn the CFL game.

Maybe Richie will be forced to step up his game knowing that there is strong competition for all the QB positions on the team. The 3rd stringer position isn’t a lock like it used to be. That can only be a good thing for the team.

Good post, CaptainKirk.

Obie and the coaching staff will also need to consider the 2010 season in making their decision. For example, what happens if Quinton Porter has an excellent 2009 season and signs with an NFL team when his option year begins in January, 2010? In such a case, Kevin Glenn, who will also be in his option year in 2010 but seems committed to stay here for various reasons, could be the number one quarterback coming into camp next year but the team would probably need someone with experience as the second string quarterback. Is that an additional reason to choose Richie Williams as number three quarterback this year? Or will two of the other three quarterbacks (Tafralis, Betts or Meyer) pick up the CFL game fast and well enough to alleviate the concern about having an experienced backup in 2010? Unless and until Porter signs a contract extension, the Ticats would also be wise to keep a fourth quarterback on the practice roster this year. It will be interesting to see what Obie and Bellefeuille decide to do.

It is not like me to think so highly of a young QB like Quinton but
I, too, was pondering what would happen if the NFL came calling,TCTD.

Kevin Glenn's agent must have been thinking that too

so he went for a one year plus an option contract
hoping to re-sign for first string money in 2010.

P.S.

I like it that the team, and the media, are
NOT expressing any big expectations for Kevin

like they did with Jason Maas and Casey Printers.

Kevin's low key personality seems to be a perfect fit
for the role that the Tiger Cats have for him, too.

What a big contrast to the cockiness Casey expressed
and the high strung Maas and the surliness he developed.

The atmosphere will be so much better
than having Casey play second fiddle.

In 1960 the Ticats had a disastrous (for them, in those days) season. They tried to trade Faloney for Etcheverry only to see that fall through because of Etcheverry's no-trade contract.
In 1961 the Ticats went to training camp with ten (10) QBs, including Faloney and Cosentino, aging veteran Tom Dublinski and several raw rookies right out of US college ball.

End result: Faloney and Cosentino stayed all the others cut (very few teams carried 3 QBs those days, except for emergency replacements- we had a least 2 of those - Don Sutherin and Gerry McDougall).

But even in those days when training camp was 4 weeks and 4 pre-season games not too many QBs other Faloney and Cosentino got very many reps.

My point is, with a shorter TC I doubt we will see all 6 still around when TC opens, and I'll bet that, since Williams is from the previous regime, he will be gone before TC, probably in a trade around the time of the draft. How about Williams and a high-draft choice for a starting DE if Obie can't convince Mace to sign on?

8) Surely you're not serious if you think Richie Williams will bring us a #1 draft pick in a trade !!! :roll:
 Any team that is even remotely interested in him will simply just wait until he is released by the Cats, and pick him up for nothing.  Just like we did with Kevin Glenn  !!!

Exactly. No team will trade anything of value for a third string QB from the league's weakest team over the past few seasons (see Chang, Timmy).