Ideas on to quicken the pace of the CFL Game

I’m almost in the opposite basketball style clock. 12 minute quarters… Just avoid the zillion timeouts and fouls at the end of the game…lol

1 Like

Would like to see the Elam ending at the end of the game (add 6 to the leading team’s score as the target score)

Then again the game will never end :rofl:

1 Like

But the play isn’t whistled in immediately in the CFL. That’s the problem. Frequently, it adds up to more time in total than the 40-second NFL playclock, because the clock only starts when the play is whistled in, and that sometimes takes quite a while.

I also don’t see how four downs affects the playclock length. Forty seconds from the second the last play is whistled dead should be fine.

1 Like

The NFL had a 30 sec play clock for years which kind of added a more down time in between plays , especially with incomplete passes and out of bounds.

The 40 second play clock works for the NFL but may not be feasible for the CFL although there’s talk about finding ways to speed up the game pace.

Instead of having commercial breaks after every change of possession, have about 3 breaks per quarter (2:30 mins per break), a 16 or 18 min half time, 2 mins between quarters and maybe step away for a quick 30 sec break if there’s an injury on the field.

The CFL can look towards the NFL for how they implement their breaks.

I believe the NFL has 8 tv timeouts per half and none in overtime without most of the tv timeouts front loaded early in each half (change of quarters and the 2 min warning already built-in).

1 Like

If the game is not worth being called properly, its not worth being played.

The only way to speed up the game is to cut commercials and that is never going to happen
How many people here have realized that half time has been increased from 14 to 16 minutes for more commercials

Exactly…It is entirely at the refs decision when to blow it in…I have seen the ref blow it in while a receiver is still across the LOS and other time he waits for the huddle to break and the offence to line up

You are not on an island. There is no logic to changing the timing rules for the last three minutes so that the ending somewhat resembles a basketball game. No other sport that I am aware of changes the basic clock rules to stop time. I have posted about this many times. The NFL has far superior timing rules and a quicker pace to the game.

3 Likes

I have also posted on this many times. My suggestion has been to follow the NFL timing rules but set the play clock at 30 seconds. That would speed up the game immensely from the current 20 second play clock that starts when the ref decides to signal it in. I timed a number of plays from last year’s Grey Cup and there were between 30 and 50 seconds between plays with an average of at least 40 seconds. Longer between plays than the NFL.

As a side note, they also have to also do away with the crazy quirks to timing such as starting the game clock on a change of possession before the snap and doing likewise at the start of a quarter. They should not run the play clock during a commercial break, which believe it or not sometimes happens. NFL timing rules are far superior and are not confusing and arbitrary.

3 Likes

this ^

1 Like

I agree. Commercials are here to stay. Especially in a gate driven league that wouldn’t even exist without TV money. If you want to see less commercials then all of the stands should be full for every game first and that’s not going to happen.

There are also different values to commercials depending on when they appear. A commercial at the first break of the game or at the three minute warning in a close game are worth more than a commercial in the middle of half time or a split screen ad. I don’t know how exactly they structure this.

Banner ads and split screen ads also drive me nuts. We already have the game information graphics and when I see an advertisement moving across the screen I am sure to note it and never to buy the product.

I am not overly concerned about the number of commercials and recognize that this will not change in any meaningful way as long as the league needs TV money which I estimate to be forever. If watching a game live commercials and especially half time are useful for bathroom breaks and food or drink preparation. It sounds like some of you would prefer the Julian route and watch the game non stop with an empty bottle beside you or in a diaper. Otherwise I suggest watching the game on PVR on a 45 minute delay and skipping all the commercials. This doesn’t work, however, if you are following on a game thread but in that case the commercials can also be used to type posts without missing any action.

Commercials are a necessity and something that doesn’t bother me except for split screen and banner ads.

4 Likes

Well, you can quicken any game with Calgary by making Dickenson use the bench official to communicate with the refs rather than calling them to the bench all the time to get extra timeouts for his team. He's been doing it for forever and spends more in game time talking to the ref than the rest of the coaches combined.....

That and get teams back on the sideline. Seems like a free for all on the field except when play is in the immediate area of the bench. Should be active and exchange players and refs on the field only....even between plays.

3 Likes

I do too …

That said, does this league want to do only what’s necessary to barely survive or does it want to actually grow and have broad appeal?

The status quo is a slow descent to oblivion.

3 Likes

This. I’ve counted as high as 1:19 between snaps this year at times.

The 20 second play clock is a huge farce.

4 Likes

Technology needs to be used better, probably make more money if a few adds are from a local business. I know corporate adds from such businesses such as Save-on foods, Canadian tire are the backbone, but when possible, sprinkle in a few 10 - 15 sec. adds from local businesses IE: Salisbury House in Winnipeg a Manitoba restaurant only. Not that I want more adds just a few local ones.

1 Like

Many ads could be in place with the title sponsor eliminating a large portion of ads in breaks and on the field . Thus making the game play quicker .

If I could wave a magic wand I Would get a major sponsor that wants to cobrand eliminating many current ads on the field and the need to nickel and dime .

I would get a major sponsor that wants the CFL name plate and will pay them a significant amount to be the title sponsor and eliminate all graphics on the field except for the sponsors .

Be it a bank ... a car company .... apple .... amazon .... whoever have them be the major sponsor for the league ... That would mean moving away from tradition and accepting the new way of doing marketing .

You see it a bit now for the playoffs and Grey Cup continue with that sponsorship separately like they do now ...

Again to A smaller extent when you watched the Labour Day weekend games with OK Tire I believe .

It would be a game changer for media rights as well .

There are some good ideas here. I agree that advertisement isn't going anywhere because that is what pays the cameramen, crew, equipment costs, etc. No ads, no football. But I would prefer a split screen to the constant interruptions.

Likewise, I agree that the timing rules in the CFL are nonsensical. 20 seconds is supposed to be less than 40 seconds, but somehow in Canadian football games it takes longer. Go to 30 and start it right away. And keep it consistent throughout, don't change the timing for the last 3 mins.

Unfortunately, CFL officiating is not at a level where we can drop reviews and challenges. The on-field crews simply can not be trusted to get it right. The league could streamline the process, though.

It doesn't take much... if you can save a minute, but do it 20 times per game, it obviously will add up quickly.

2 Likes

The CFL already pursues corporate sponsorship. Are you suggesting something different?

Yes a major title sponsor . That will upset many as it invokes possibly a sponsor that many dislike or don’t like how will look shown in print or on the screen .

It will be

Name plate here Canadian Football League .

Thus removing many smaller sponsors and ads that you have today and placing them directly on the product itself .

It makes the CFL less 9 businesses and one major one .

Hopefully this will help get a 10th franchise as well with the new helping hand .

You do have to be careful who you get in bed with though and make sure you gain independence not more control .

But it also leads to what happened to the Bills yesterday.

Did you see the NFL game last year where the QB ran off with the ball towards the bench while the clock was running?
Killed a few seconds while the refs were looking for the ball

30 second clock, no problem
But I also have no problem with the clock stopping and restarting after the ball is set.

Am I the only one who thinks things are just fine the way the are?

1 Like