Idea for our kick/punt returner

Hey Folks,

What do you think about signing Darius Walker from Notre Dame? He is fast & would be a terrific addition to our special teams.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/517599

I know he wasn't drafted this weekend so I am curious what the diehards on this forum think?

Our return game has been brutal for years. Hopefully Taaffe and Desjardins are working on it. Wouldn't it be nice to actually think a Ticat kick returner could realistically take one all the way back to the house?

Apparently Richard Alston was a kick returner when he was in the NFL, and a good one. I wonder if the Cats will ask him to do that in Hamilton, too? (in addition to being a receiver).

Wouldn't we be using Holmes for this position?

A great guy to retain with the team, he'd be my choice to do the returns, and "school up" a lower cost player on the technique, while staying within the salary cap.

I grant the point we can't have him hurt, but this salary cap is going to take some getting used to, and we really need the money in other places, too.

(Which is why Troy Davis cannot be asked back! We have a LOT of RB's that are good)

Darius Walker is not fast...he is slow, which is why he wasn't drafted in the NFL.

Canuck,

I appreciate your opinion but he is a good back and can cut. I take it that you didnt watch any Irish games over the past couple of years

I have.

Walker would be an upgrade at the return position. I say that without seeing any of the "new" guys on their way to the Hammer.

Do we sign him as a back??? If we have the space on the roster, which doesn't appear to be the case, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

If I'm not wrong didn't K. Hill take a punt or something back year before last? And he almost ran a kick return back last year vs. B.C. Folks ran a punt back for a TD last year vs. Edmonton. So at least we still have one of them coming to camp this year. C. Holmes didn't do that well returning kicks for us last year for whatever reason.

C. Yeast took quite a few back. Seriously we should bring him back.(I'm 100% serious about this)

If you are then you won't be offended while I rofl

Yeast has plenty of potential, but alas, he also has a discipline problem.

What the team really needs to do is provide adequate blocking for our returners. We could sign the fastest, most agile man on earth and it wouldn't matter a lick if all 12 opponents have ample opportunity to tackle him. We'll see what happens this season when we revert to the old blocking rules.

Yeast is/was totally TOTALLY overrated.

If he was worth having on the team, another team would have signed him by now. Since that has not happend, it tells us something of him.

Either way Yeast and Hill are both in Rider Green right now.

another team did sign him sooo.

Our best returner is Corey Holmes, IMHO. We need to build the special teams units to help spring him. More to the point, I expect better things in the post-Jerome Erdman era in the coaching department.

Oski Wee Wee,

This is why we will be much better on special teams...Dave Easley

Indeed! :wink:

Guaranteed: we will not have a special teams coach on the tube during game action who varies from being totally clueless to grimacing as if passing a brick. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

That DOES ring a bell from this vantage point, so I'll stop there! LOL

Oski Wee Wee,

Then again: just having a coach who is going to tell all new import players IN ADVANCE what the no-yards rules are about will be a refreshing change. :smiley:

That attention to detail is simply being professional about one's job and that reinforces good habits in the players to compete. Mariuz and Hitch are two guys who are special teams standouts who bucked the trend of having the rudderlessness of last year's approach infect their play.

Give Corey a disciplined, improving unit to block for him and look out!

Oski Wee Wee,