Idea for Ottawa.........

I used to live in Ottawa, and I've seen the ups and downs of that team over the past 20 years. I was always impressed by the amount of fans the Roughies got out each year after playing so poorly and finishing last most of the time. I watched coaches, players and owners come and go. The big thing I always noticed was the fans were always there buying tickets, jerseys in the locker room garage sale, etc. One key thing people seem to forget about Ottawa, is it's a political town. Some snooty political higher ups don't care for sports. Jacqueline Holtzman (former mayor) said right out "Ottawa is a political city, not a sports city. And I don't care if sports teams last in this city or not!". At that time, Ottawa almost lost the newly reformed Senators. The Lynx were almost lost a few times. It seems the people of Ottawa want a team, but the city does not care to help out. This being said, why don't the people of Ottawa start a potition to make it a community owned team?! It has worked well in other cities both CFL and NFL. If the people want the team, then I say screw the city snoots! There's enough people in Ottawa and big local business that could push for it. I don't get how city snoots don't see all the perks of sports teams. How many millions of dollars come into the local economy when a Grey Cup game is in town?! Or a Stanley Cup final for that matter. If the people of Ottawa want a team, I say take matters in to your own hands! Don't sit back waiting for some rich American to pay the bills for 1 year and leave again. Show the city up and make it happen! Long live the CFL.............

...I applaud your spirit but forecast rain for your parade Capt'n.....you say that the fans are always there yet where were they when the Gleibs were trying to runt he show?....the Rens were drawing consistently around 20K people or less per game and that just isn't going to pay the bills let alone be a suitable base of support to go the community-owned route.....you note that the city officials don't support sports yet who voted them in?.....the majority that's who, which tells me that the majority of folks living in Ottawa don't give a hoot about their sports teams.....I feel for you Ottawa sports fans that are trapped in a city that doesn't see things the way you do, but that's democracy......

I disagree RW, I think community ownership could work in Ottawa. Remember not only is there Ottawa itself, but there is a "megacity", Gatineau, right across the river. If they are included they might make a go of it. I say it is worth a try.

...well, that would be four to five hundred dollars of buy-in I wouldn't risk...let's do the math on your community owned (CO) proposal....

....League is going to ask for a 5 million franchise fee and a 2 million bond for bail-out protection....lets assume that out of kindness the bond is waived (because if a CO team fails that's it baby, no sense keeping that dead body alive for any length of time 'cause there will be absolutley NO owner waiting to be courted that will buy it after the CO system fails)....now let's assume you can muster up 15,000 die hard fans to buy into covering the franchise fee PLUS another say 2 million in initial operating capital to get the team off and running for the season (theoretically the ticket sales will pay for annual operating costs and any profit can go back to the shareholders as a yearly dividend payout, of course, any loss erodes the value of your share)....so 7 mil divided by 15K is $466.00 a share to buy in....simplistic yes but still relevant to the situation....

....I am going to assume sambo that you have savings tied up in mutuals or in the stock market....based on the Roughriders/Renegades exceptional track record in maintaining a team, let alone a profitable one, does that $466/share investment sound like a solid and sound proposal?....

Sambo, Ottawa is more or less a "Government" town. I don't know if there are enough people with money to make it community owned.

Seems to me the only people with money is the politicians....and its "Our" money they seem to have!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I have always been of the opinion, just like the chicken and the egg question, how both the fans and poor ownership is jointly and severly liable for the Ottawa mess over the last 20+ years.
For the fans, they have to step up now and be counted and stop living in history.
Conversely, the league must ensure this being the last time, how new ownership will be solid financially and committed to the city for years.

For the fans, they have to step up now and be counted and stop living in history.

I think this is the very reason why community ownership should be conisdered in Ottawa. If some community minded people, govt town or not, are willing to step up and raise the necessary funds to put a team back, with the fans holding an interest , it could work. If that means buying a $500 stake, then so be it. My guess is that if the fans have a say in the future of the team, they wont want to fold any franchise so quickly. The only other option is to have a Glieberman type owner again, which would mean failure for sure in the nation's capital. Community ownership works here in Sask, and in Winnipeg and Edmonton,so why not see if it can in Ottawa.