Icepick the Witches Thread, Playoff Edition

Dominating defense from Winnipeg, and good job on special teams keeping the punts away form Thigpen.

Also, the Bombers' O-line played better than Hamilton's. This loss had nothing to do with coaching or quarterbacking, IMO.

That was it.

And Half, that's what these yappers from winterpeg just aren't understanding....BC will systematically take them apart...let them yammer all they want tonight...come next sunday evening...its going to be very very very very quiet and sullen in mosquitoville....

Agreed

Why can our O-line not open holes? (Anybody else thinking of apologizing to DeAndra' Cobb?)

"Why can our O-line not open holes? (Anybody else thinking of apologizing to DeAndra' Cobb?)"

It doesn't help when you are without your starting centre....

True, but I wouldn’t have expected losing him to make that much of a difference. But maybe that’s all it was.

Not sure that's all it was...cause this team has been up and down ALL season long...even with Marwan...but I think his injury was AT LEAST a contributing factor in the end...

So looking forward, any ideas (and I'm not talking nonsense of firing this guy or canning that guy).

My opinion....OB has to concentrate on both the O line and the D line. What free agents do we have? Who needs to be signed?

Half: “we beat ourselves”???
Afraid not. Winnipeg beat us because they are a better team. We were NOT prepared. How else do you account for all those plays at the end of the first half where it appeared only Glenn knew the play. Guys in the wrong place. Guys running into each other. Is this the player’s fault or is the offensive plan too complicated to work properly?
As far as Porter’s lack of success…this team has insisted that Porter is ready to play, knowing that he is not. They have had three seasons to assess him but he is still here, despite a complete lack of success in anything except third and short situations.
For 2012…sign Burris as a stop-gap starter. Trade Porter. Make Boltus the back-up. Give Marcel another job and bring in a coach (Scott Milanovitch?) who can fire up this team. He can decide on whether to keep the two co-ordinators.
Do SOMETHING to change the lack of intensity and poor game planning and get us out of this .500 and below record we have had for the past three years.
If you continue to believe that this team “beats itself” I’d say you are missing a lot of what is wrong.

Thanks for backing my argument… Winnipeg did not force these comedy of errors. .WE did… hence… WE beat ourselves!!!

Re: The Running game. I does not help that are starting centre was out for the season. That's incorrect, becuase the Tiger Cats have not had an effective running game in over 12 years. Check the records this team has had difficulty running the rock and blocking for the run for years. Is it the Canadian talent or lack of Candian talent on the OLine. One thing is for sure that was more than obvious, why was Jimmez absent from the line up? Belton Johnson and Simmons getting pancaked on every second play. Kind of ironic Jason Vega who was with the Cats at the 2010 training camp was having his way with the interior of the OLine. Just think the Cats kept Albert Smith to let go Vega. Guess where Albert Smith is.......cut. Decisions like this are crutial to the sucess of the team moving forward. Getting quality talent and talent evaluation is something lacking in Hamilton for a long long time. Chamblins square peg in a round hole system is another reason why this team failed. There is a lot of blame to go around this year all starting at Jarvis street.

I hear you Wildcats, the running game has been a sore spot with this team for a long time. And yes, of course, it starts with the OL. I heard an interesting quote from Suitor as he was talking about Wally's philosophy during the west final. It went something like, "you need one line to keep your quarterback safe and another to put the other's in jeopardy". Neither one on the Tiger cats side fulfilled that mandate.

Jimmenz has been absent because of the penalties he was taking, and at times, at crucial points in the game. Even when he was in, I don't think he was that effective.

I think Obie has brought in some solid talent, but some areas do need upgrading. The loss is too new for me to really come up with some comprehensive ideas.

There will be some heavy thinking going on at Jarvis street over the next few months. Hopefully, some solutions will come from that.

Fewest QB Sacks allowed
BC 29
MTL 34
CAL 34
HAM 35
TOR 40
SSK 41
WPG 46
EDM 46

Most QB Sacks
WPG 55
BC 54
EDM 39
HAM 37
MTL 36
SSK 29
TOR 28
CAL 27

I guess I was mostly looking at today's game, Captain...but even with those stats we are just in the middle of the pack, compared with BC who is now in the cup.

And that says nothing about opening up holes for the running game. And that part of it is totally missing.

This week yes, last week no. 2011?

Avg Yds Rushing Per Game

TOR 126.4
CAL 124.7
MTL 111.4
WPG 110.4
EDM 104.0
BC 99.7
SSK 96.7
HAM 90.0

I hope Terry Grant is good to go next year. Avon, Terry and Thiggy would give you a lot of options. Throw in Chris Williams on some sweeps and you may get a good thing going.

I also believe that we missed Marwan a lot.

halfthe distance wrote:
"Thanks for backing my argument... Winnipeg did not force these comedy of errors. .WE did.. hence.. WE beat ourselves!!!"

half:  " Comedy of errors"..."we beat ourselves"  Those are your descriptions not mine. But it doesn't matter. We lost. We were not prepared and we did not execute well.  Same old story...this season, last season and the one before. <!-- s:cry: -->:cry:<!-- s:cry: -->

Agreed. Also no half time adjustments. It seemed we were locked into a failing game plan. No deep balls all game. Players still running into each other, etc. I would be interested to hear what the coaching staff would say if asked about these concerns on offense especially.

Considering that the Bummers ran wild, 13 points up until the non-touchdown on the last play should not be enough to get a win. :expressionless:

And for all Garrett's running and Pierce's passing, they still only managed 13 points until the last minute of the game. As Coach Sal pointed out at the end of the game, "if you can keep the other team's offense to 20 points, you should win"

And that won't be nearly good enough against B.C this sunday.....