I won tickets from Boston Pizza! So why do I feel cheated?

I went to the Prince Albert location of Boston Pizza this past Saturday afternoon to watch the Riders-Alouettes game. While watching the game I indulged in two pints of Molson Pilsner. As the promotion that Boston Pizza has been running for the past couple of seasons states, every time you purchase a Pil, you can enter a draw to win tickets to the next Rider home game. I filled out the forms I was given, and placed them in the draw barrell. Though the game was disappointing, there was a happy ending for me. I won the draw!

I am grateful for the tickets I received, and I'm sure I'll have a great time at the game. But I won't be going to the game I'm supposed to be going to. The next Rider home game is this upcoming Saturday, the 27th of July, against the Edmonton Eskimos. I was given tickets to the following home game, on August 16th versus the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Frankly, there are some very good reasons why the latter game actually works better for me. For one, I'm scheduled to work this upcoming Saturday. I work in a small office, and at this time there's only one other employee I can switch shifts with. It's possible, but the more advance notice we give each other, the better. Also, for travel and accomodation arrangements, the more time there is in advance to make plans, the better. In the handful of CFL games that I've attended, including two Grey Cups, I've never seen the Riders take on the Ti-Cats. The lone game I attended last year featured the Eskimos as the opponent. One disadvantage of the Ti-Cat game for me is that it takes place on a Sunday evening. I work at 7:30 on Monday mornings. The Eskimo game being on a Saturday gives me plenty of time to get back home and get plenty of rest for the coming work week.

When I received my tickets, I immmediately questioned why they were for the following home game, and not for the next one, as the promotion states. I was given the simple answer of "We already gave those tickets away." When I asked how this happened, they were unable to provide me with an answer. I believe there are two possibilities. It could very well be a simple, innocent mix-up, or it could be that the tickets were somehow inappropriately allocated.

Here's why the situation looks bad for the Prince Albert location of this fine restaurant chain. Of all the games that this situation could happen with, it just so happens that the festivities surrounding the game on July 27th include a reunion of the 1989 Grey Cup winning Roughrider team. Twenty years later, it's still a big deal around here. It's among the greatest moments in Saskatchewan sports history, and even in Canadian sports history. There will be an autograph session before the game, and a ceremony at halftime. Most of the players from that team will be in attendance. With almost any other game, and any other game day promotions, I would not question my prize. It's not hard to see why there is some potential for the situation to be manipulated for someone's personal gain.

All I'm asking is for is some tranparency. If there was a simple mix-up, that's certainly understandable. It's disappointing, but forgiveable. If this situation arose because of inappropriate actions, I trust that Boston Pizza will deal with the situation appropriately.

Did you HAVE to post this crap here AND in ALL the other forums????????

Dunno about the ticket SNAFU, but I still get cravings for Boston Pizza. Haven't had one in decades. I really love their ground beef and onion :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey anybody know if that pizza place at the South end of the high level bridge is still there? I used to love that place. They had a sign in the window that read "don't sweat it man, we're air conditioned". I have no idea why I remember that. They also had some of the hottest waitresses in town :smiley:

You're all fired, now I'm hungry for pizza...

i wanna eat an entire large pizza and down it with a 12 pack of labatt ice.

LOL every forum?

Due to the popularity of the next game there probably are no give-away tickets. Besides you drank beer and won tickets to a Rider game, what's the probem?

It was in six of the forums on the board, but has been cleaned up.

The problem is that the tickets, as part of the promotion, were to be for the next home game. They may be free tickets, but if Boston Pizza is breaching the conditions of the promotion, they should be held accountable. I know of people who attend events such as this because they would like to attend those certain games - if someone like this were to win, and get tickets to an alternate game because someone effed up with the promotion, they may not be able to attend. It's cheap, as far as I'm concerned, for Boston Pizza to try to squeak out the back door on this one. Someone dropped the ball.

Exactly!

I'd be grateful to win tickets!

Maybe it's a timing thing, the tickets were already won for the next home game so they next ones available were for the next,next home game. Kinda hard to complain when you get something for nothing , I'd be complaining about the pricing for a below average Pizza.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the Riders are in the midst of a 2-game home stand? I don't know, just a thought.

Like everyone else, though, I'd just be happy to win tickets. And you'd think they'd want to honour the '89 Grey Cup game during the Ticat game, sort of a way to rub it into the visitors. That's what they usually seem to do when they honour GC winners at Ivor Wynne.

Ever taught of using this and tell them your story:

http://www.bostonpizza.com/en/about/contact

Wow! That makes even more sense that posting it on a CFL forum! :wink:

Maybe they used them for themselves after all they paid for itcould be the head office or the local franchise themself. If I was a sponsor of the CFL like Boston Pizza is Id think twice about where my sponsorship dollars went with people complaining like you.

Your probably right , Friend of mine works at their head office and he goes to tons of NHL games in a Season.

Maybe the Poster is on to something , Boston Pizza buys lots of season tickets ,all the front office staff attend all the games , the they right off the cost of the tickets as advertising and promotional expences and give out only a fraction of the Tickets they have. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Alright, time for me to man up. Yes, I admit I posted this to stir the pot some. I know I wasn't the only one who at first glance thought there was something amiss about the situation. After posting, I did contact BP's HQ by phone, and after getting passed around a bit among some of their higher ranking staff, (national customer complaints rep, national marketing manager), I was put into contact with the marketing manager for Saskatchewan. She is the one that's in charge of the CFL promotion for the province.

I explained the situation, and even she admitted it looked bad. Then she told me her side of the story. Because of what BP's saw as a "glitch" in the CFL's scheduling, i.e. some back to back home games rather than a nice home, away, home, away pattern like it is for most of the rest of the season, there was a decision made that she was in on to give the tickets for the July 25th game and the august 16th game away a bit early. I'm not quite sure I fully understand their reasoning for the decision, and I certainly still don't agree with it, but at least that's a better explanation than "We already gave the tickets away." Her story at least tells me that everything is on the level, and it's not some local employee skimming prime tickets, which is what it looked like at first.

That makes a lot of sense Dave, but I'm pretty sure the reason the tribute is during the Esk game is Richie Hall. From my understanding, every player from the '89 Rider team will be in attendance. And if they played anyone else besides Edmonton, Richie wouldn't be there.

Also, beating Edmonton in '89 was almost as satisfying as winning the cup. The Esks that year were extrememly talented, which was only matched by their arrogance. It was soooo sweet to beat them.

I still don't understand why people complain when you get something for free. So who really cares if the information was conveyed wrong but in the end, you got free tickets to one of the hardest things to get tickets until.

If you were so upset, why didn't you just give them back?

Apperently Austin, Narcisse and Ridgeway wil not be there. Three very huge components of the winning tea. Still going to be great.