I Promise

Now that Chang has been announced as a starter I am sure there are many very happy and optimistic people out there. You know who you are. All you vocal people on this site and at the stadium who have been calling for Mass's head. Now that you have been heard and the fact I am sick of people continously running player after player out of town (fans and coaches included) I would like you all to promise there will be no more complaining and pointing fingers for the rest of the season and let the rebuilding take place.
I for one do not think Maas was the issue and think starting Chang on Labour Day is a career killer for him (whether he wins or loses). The issue here for the last few years is the revolving door from management, to coaching staff to players on the field. It takes time to build trust and a team and with the changes and inconsitentcy this had not been allowed to happen for three plus years. Ownership, management, players and fans need to let players play through rebuilding years, learn the game and gel......Not have players looking over their shoulder game in and game out, trying too hard and playing scared....this causes mistakes and bad pentalties and 1-17 seasons....Good luch Timmy and we will see who can stick to their word here in .CA land.

What “career killer”? You don’t even have a clue what Timmy Chang is all about, for all you or me know this guy could have what it takes mentally and physically to be a very dominant qb in the CFL. He was a starter at college and knows how to be a starter and be “the man”, I don’t think Maas was a starter at college if I’m correct.

Chang is still largely an unknown quantity--even to the coaches. Maas, we know all too well by now.

An Argo-Cat fan

I totally agree with this, tyydoggz

I would like you all to promise

there will be no more complaining
and pointing fingers

for the rest of the season

and let the rebuilding take place.

If only there was some way we could get
the bums in the seats at Ivor Wynne Stadium

to NOT BOO ANY players

Mental mistakes will happen,
with teams that are rebuilding.

[Let's not kid ourselves, this QB change
is not about getting in the playoffs.]

and to NOT BOO THE TEAM
no matter what the score is,

It's the future of this team,
that is the important thing, right?

1st of all you do not know who I am or if I know Chang....I do not know him or have seen him to make a strong judgement on his ability. But I know the Ticat fans and what has happened in the last 3 years and how vicious people have been (your don't have a clue comment makes my point). If he wins he will be the second coming until he throws an interception then he will be useless again. If he loses the "he sucks too" attitude will come out. Look at Eakin as another case in point. Also, to start him in the Labour Day game at this stage of the season and franchise puts huge pressure on him and then back to T.O for the re-match. Media from both cities will be all over him, fans seeking him and cameras in his face at all times (I am sure CBC will focus on him at the pre-game show for the most part). I just think it is an unfair situation for this young kid who shows alot of potential and letting Maas play through the next two games and starting Chang in Winnipeg if unsuccessful would give him a better chance to succeed. It is like young and upcoming goalies drafted in the NHL....they bring them in as starters slowly......Good luck to Timmy, I as a Cat fan hope it does well and begins to bring us back to respectability....but if he faulters I hope fans can sit back with mouths closed and support him and understand what it is, the position he is in and allow rebuilding to take place.

Fair enough ty.

Interesting read here in a US paper in regards to an article in the New York Times about Hawaii's qb situation:

"i have a comment regarding the timmy chang comment made by the nfl analyst…its to get his story straight … the reason why he is a second string quarterback is because the coach an idiot…the tigarcats are 1-7…the canadian fans wants timmy to play but the coach won’t let him…so i think…timmy in the eyes of the people of canada is there first string… so to Gil Brandt “get your story straight and do your research? and you call yourself an NFL analyst. You should do your homework."

[url=http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/can-brennan-make-the-leap-from-hawaii-to-the-nfl/#comment-48]http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/0 ... comment-48[/url]

A prolonged experiment with Timmy at this time of the season
may or may not be a 'career killer' for Timmy Chang, tydoggz

but it could be a real setback for him and the Tiger Cats

like it was when a young Anthony Calvillo was run out of town
after failing horribly when he had to step in too soon as # 1
[for Matt Dunigan] and later revived his career with Montreal.

Well, Hamilton might be different than most other cities in the CFL. Here people can say "I want a winner or else a) I'll just forget the Cats and go to Bills games just down the road, or b) I'll just forget the Cats and go to Argos games just down the road. :wink:

Not necessarily in that order BTW, depends on who is having winning seasons. :wink:

Yes, in the end Calvillo made out ok. But when he ended up in Montreal they worked with him properly. he sepnt some tiem as number two learning from Tracey Ham and was put in game situations at proper times to allow him to learn.....not thrown in at the biggest game of the season. Taafe for some reason missed the boat on gving him opportunities throughout the year. also, although Maas has not proven it here yet (but do not think has had a fair opportunity) can still quarterback in this lead and could be a good leader/mentor with Chang. However, for many reasons the organization has not allowed this opportunity and Chang, as I see it, is thrown to the wolves....."career killer" may be a harsh phrase but many have faded away and there are only a few Calvillo's....here's hoping Chang in the later or better yet a Printers

Stupid options leave no possible reasonable choice. Of course nobody can promise not to complain because of one player. Seems to me somebody doesn't understand the longstanding cry for a change at QB and thinks that those demanding the change are blind to anything else

argoconvert...
You could not have said it..better.
The best words I've read this season..regarding this matter.
Cheers.

I understand the longstanding cry for a change at qb but suggest it is not the answer......there are deeper routed issues with this team other than Maas or the qb position. I have heard everyone cry to get rid of McManus, then Eakin, then Maas and now here comes Chang. 3 qb's have failed in the last 3-4 years. Players have come and gone yet the focus of these cries have been change th qb. So I ask those that I have cried to allow the rebuilding to take place but yes those will be very vocal of someone Chang does not succeed. Hey maybe get rid of the offensive co-ordinator it must be him then, and then if that does not work its the coach.....hey that sounds familar.
It would be nice for soemone to come out and say we are rebuilding....we will struggle in the next few seasons but will do our best to compete but we are confident in our players and will give them time to gel.....not this revolving door we have seemed to have and the constant complaints.....

I understand the longstanding cry for a change at qb but suggest it is not the answer......there are deeper routed issues with this team other than Maas or the qb position. I have heard everyone cry to get rid of McManus, then Eakin, then Maas and now here comes Chang. 3 qb's have failed in the last 3-4 years. Players have come and gone yet the focus of these cries have been change th qb. So I ask those that I have cried to allow the rebuilding to take place but yes those will be very vocal of someone Chang does not succeed. Hey maybe get rid of the offensive co-ordinator it must be him then, and then if that does not work its the coach.....hey that sounds familar.
It would be nice for soemone to come out and say we are rebuilding....we will struggle in the next few seasons but will do our best to compete but we are confident in our players and will give them time to gel.....not this revolving door we have seemed to have and the constant complaints.....

I've always believed that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.... it's a duck. No one needs to tell me it's a duck. Same with rebuilding. With more than 20 new players on this team, I don't know what else you could call it. They're rebuilding. And I am patient. This isn't the first year of the rebuilding process. This team has been bad for several years now.

I think you're partly right about Maas. He's not the team's only problem but he is a major one. The Cats simply haven't had enough production out of the QB position. It's true the O-line blows hot and cold, the receivers are inconsistent, the team takes too many penalties, etc. But the fact remains, the offence revolves around the QB and this one under Maas's leadership can't score.

No matter what we think, we fans do not chase players out of town. No coach cashes in a player because of what we fans think. Danny Mac had a great career but he was done. Eakin didn't produce in his limited opportunity and he was gone. Maas has obviously failed to get the team moving so he's being moved aside. In each case and others, the players determined their own fate by their performances or lack thereof, perhaps coupled with the coach's/GM's impatience. But it certainly wasn't the fans who had any hand in these player moves.

An Argo-Cat fan

But the fact remains, the offence revolves around the QB and this one under Maas's leadership can't score.

Well said. There's a reason why the QB often gets paid a lot more money than other players.